Author Topic: Happy Birthday to Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 11492 times)

Booner

Happy Birthday to Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »
Hey everybody!,

Actually, it's my second birthday" I have two.  My first birthday was when I was born, and my second is the day I got out of the army.  38 years ago today I became a free man when the U.S. Army and I parted company. I think I was 20 at the time and it was the happiest day of my life.  I was so happy to be getting out that for two weeks prior i couldn't talk; I was smiling so much that I got cheek spasms! And I can even remember some of the thing I did on my first night of freedom....Thank God we have a statute of limitations!

It was the early 70's and I had been drafted and back then being in the Army was not the place to be. Thank God we treat people serving in the military a lot different now. I went back to college and told very few people that I had served. At that time if you served you didn't talk about it.  It's different now; I'm very proud to have had the opportunity to have served my country and to be part of a select group of men and women who are part of a very special fraternity.

To celebrate, I'm going to clean my kitchen and then go out to the range and exercise my 2ND amendment right and poke little holes in paper a great distances.

All the best,
Booner

Ernest Thompson

• Core
Re: Happy Birthday to Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »
Happy Birthday Booner.
A lot of us know where you're coming from.
From Oz

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
Just don't shoot any tracers, Bro.  We don't need another wildfire! Happy birthday!
DENY US NOT

Donna

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »
Hey Booner,

There are some of us, in this country, that have ALWAYS been proud of you!
Those of us who know that freedom is never free.
God Bless all of our Vets  :-*

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »
Happy Birthday times two!

Now go, put on yer kilt, shoot that paper to dust!

And Booner.

Thanks for your service.

yer coz
sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Booner

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments

Booner

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:42:56 AM »
Hi Booner -

SORRY :(  I haven't had time to check the forum for the past few days and I missed your second birthday! Having served during the same period, I understand your feelings - we've all dealt with them. Tom got out in 1979 and he was getting so eager and "aw heck"  I was afraid he was going to end up with a court martial instead of a discharge! I finally made him take his built-up leave time and stay away from the base!

Hope you got to go blow something away. If you run out of targets, let me know:)

Booner

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »
I shot some loads I worked up for a new rifle I bought for myself when I passed my NERC test. 

I'm not bragging or anything but I did manage to hit an 8" diameter steel plate at 500 yards; twice!  And I only shot at it 3 times!

For Christmas I bought myself a Sharps rifle in 45-70 (I was a very good boy last year!)  I've wanted one for years and finally bought one.  They have a competion where you shoot steel targets at 200, 300, 400, & 500 yards with the type of guns that were used by the buffalo hunters in the 1870's-1890's.  Most people shoot 45-70's but some shoot 45-90's and 45-110's because the 500 yard target weighs 50 pounds and you have to knock them off their stands in order to score a point.  So you have to use a big heavy bullet and black powder as the propellant.  My most accurate load is 68 grains of 2f black powder with a 500 grain lead bullet.  This is a big heavy bullet that hits the 500 yard target with a lot of power; more than a lot of modern rifles have.  But the bullet has to be "lobbed' into the target because at 500 yards, in order to hit the target you have to aim over the target by 300 inches.

So anyway about 3 weeks ago i'm shooting the rifle at 300 yards to get it sighted in.  I shot about 30 rounds and my shoulder is getting pretty sore so I thought i'll just shoot a  few more then call it a day.   I took one more shot and felt something like an electric shock deep in my shoulder so I thought "that's it, I'm done." I hung around the range for a while talking to some friends then drove home.  By the time I got home my shoulder was swollen, so I put some ice on it and then went to bed.  When I got up the next morning I had a bruise that circled my arm all they way down to between my wrist and elbow, and across my shoulder and chest.  And such a lovely color of purple too!  So I haven't shot that rifle since but I did buy a shooting pad that goes over my shoulder to help reduce the recoil.  And I'm going to add a pound of weight to the rifle to reduce the recoil too.  I may sound crazy to some but I really enjoy shooting this gun.

Regards,
Booner

Donna

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:39 PM »
What is that old saying...what doesn't kill y'all makes y'all stronger...or something like that.  Have fun, Booner, but please be careful  :-*

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Booner

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »
Donna,

I'm always careful. Maybe not to smart, but always careful

Booner

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »
Doesn't sound crazy to me. Blast away, Brotha!
DENY US NOT