Author Topic: Scottish Independence Documentary - interesting!  (Read 10936 times)

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
Scottish Independence Documentary - interesting!
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:52:17 PM »
Here is part 1. You can find part 2 & 3 on youtube also. This is to get you started. They are about an hour long each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMOX5iAEzE
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Stirling Thompson

Re: Scottish Independence Documentary - interesting!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Interesting documentary... seems a bit biased toward the SNP. Have to wait and see how the referendum vote goes. My gut feeling I guess is in favor of an independent Scotland, home rule and all that, but then again I don't live there.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
Great Cheryll I was looking at this, then switched to the great battles of Scotland, Alexander II, William Wallace,etc. thank you i will return to this site for more history lessons on Scotland. Also learn more about the beginning of Scotland Pict s, Britons. From what I learned it seemed as the group from the east and possible near where the border eventually was created it seems as if the PICTS
could of been the Thompson's actual creation or beginning. but when you listen to the story i was listening to, you quickly realize that to actual know where you actual came from could be absolutely impossible because of the different groups of people in the beginning fighting, mating with Norseman, Ireland, English and even french oh Ya and those SCOTS. Plus the ifferent methods used to create family names etc. Still great to here of History of a nation.

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:48:58 PM »
Here is a map I love. It shows the Thomson's near Edinburgh. I'm not sure if you can enlarge it enough to see it. We have this map in our clan tent at the Games we do. The Thomson's are shown in this location because of the changing border boundaries over & over as the years went by. I saw another map in Carlisle England that shows the Thompson's near there. That was the years of the early 1500's.

http://www.scotsconnection.com/Clan-Map-of-Scotland/p--322/

Enjoy :)
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 07:38:30 AM »
Cheryll 2 LL'S What i find funy is I checked the may site, of course it is not large enough to actually see very much, but on the same site if you check out clan crests they have Mactavish but do not have Thom(P)son. So then I wonder how reliable is the site for actual information.  Thinking about purchasing the map of Scotland and maybe Ireland my other side of family which I have alot more info on the research side. take care of yourself. Mike

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
Hi Michael :)

Yes you will find that MacTavish still has their name claiming us Thompson's. However, the map I put a link to has Thompson's listed on it near Edinburgh. That's why I sent it...and that's why it's in our clan tent at the games :)

Definitely still have to be very careful of the intermingling of them & us. It will take years I'm sure before OUR crest is displayed properly and on all the many websites there are out there.

Cheers!
Cheryll

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »
Thanks CheryLL I looked at this, very interesting, but like they say the language is different in the way certain words and phrases are said, I believe that exists in the world all over.  The southern accent in the south of United States, the New England accent of the states  such as New York, Maine, Vermont, etc, The Boston accent, the New York city accent. i live in an area near Montreal Quebec, Canada. In the northern part of the province you have the way the French people from lac St-jean talk and the way the french people from the eastern area talk and the french from the Montreal city area.  This exist I was in central England a few years ago and we travel by care to western Scotland and to eastern Scotland and back to central England and do you think I heard the same language everywhere no. When i was in the Pub in Derby England My sister in law said to me did you hear the girl speak, I said no she said listen next time the girl speaks, they call that Jordy i believe was the word, because the girl came from a little further north of where we were and she had an accent from the area she was from. So no matter where you go you have to adapt and listen and learn to understand the language, Was I in Derby, England (central England) I was listening to a young person talk and then the guys father talked and wow I wondered where his father was born, because he had more accent and more pronoun cation of the old language. Mike the Canadian