Author Topic: Thompson scarves  (Read 11602 times)

IanKiser

Thompson scarves
« on: January 09, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »
Anyone else notice the abundance of scarves made with the Camel tartan? I just seem to see them all over. And when I tell them I like their scarf, I can see it in there eyes they really had no idea that it was actually a clans tartan.

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
Re: Thompson scarves
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:57 AM »
Hi Ian!
Yes they are all over the place. I believe Burberry designers use it. When Paul & I were on the Royal Mile ALL the shops had them hanging in their windows and entrances. We asked one of the owners what was up with all the camel Thompson tartans? He said it's very popular. I get a kick out of it too and if I'm in earshot of the person I'll tell em Nice Thompson Tartan! lol. And of course that leads to talking about the Thompson/Thomson's, Border reivers, Scotland, etc. My personal favorite is the blue dress tartan  :)

Cheryll
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:53:47 PM »
Ian & Cheryll,
I favor the Thompson Grey myself even tho the dress blue is the registered tartan for the Clan...but then I am a Thompson and you can't tell me anything ::)...or so my husband says. He favors the camel tartan and wears his kilt with pride, fine Swedish/German that he is.
Hate to see him go, but love to watch him walk away!  ;D
Ahh...men in kilts!
Yours aye,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
I posted somewhere before about the difference between the Thompson camel and the Burberry check but I can't find it. As I recall the primary difference is that in the Thompson camel there are two wide black stripes vertically and horizontally while the Burberry check has three.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
The thread counts are really quite different, but with stripes and stripes....it can get confusing!

Our tartan has a wide center black  stripe with the red stripe going through it and 2 smaller black stripes on either side, and a red strip going through the grey area.

Burberry has 3 equal width stripes and their red stripe ONLY goes through the grey, not through the black stripe also.

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »
Okay, I'm confused here.   ???  Are we talking about the brown tartan or the gray tartan?  I thought the Burberry was brown and our Thompson camel is brown and similar to the Burberry.....

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
It applies to BOTH........Burberry does the camel and the grey now! Their camel/grey thread counts are the same except for the color.....Our camel is a thread or two off our grey, so the images really apply to both colors.

Clear as mud?

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 12:43:33 PM »
Whaaaattt? There's Mud Colored Tartan? ::)

The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »
Bite your tongue!  Mud indeed --- it's a lovely caramel shade....warm, soothing and inviting.

Harumph!