Author Topic: Thomson Genealogy... Lessons from Clan Moffat.  (Read 9011 times)

Allan Thomson

Thomson Genealogy... Lessons from Clan Moffat.
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:13 AM »
A friend suggested that Clan Thom(p)son could do worse than follow the example of Clan Moffat (uk) who have a Clan Genealogist who having trawled the old records has apparently found all records pertaining to the surname Moffat in the Old Scottish Census data for 1881.

What an amazing achievement.

It's great idea but I imagine if this was difficult for Moffat it would be a much greater challenge for the very common surname Thom(p)son and all its spelling variants..!!

Anyway.. The clan Moffat uk website is probably worth a look.  Like the Thomsons the Moffat's also have a history in the Borders area and their history records that the Moffat Chief was murdered in 1557 by the Johnstones and it's only in the recent past that the Lord Lyon recognised a new Moffat  Chief.  Interesting.

www.clanmoffat.info/

Allan Thomson
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:51:40 PM by Allan Thomson »

Allan Thomson

Re: Thomson Genealogy... Lessons from Clan Moffat.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »
Looking at the basic figures for the 1841 and 1881 census for Thomson & Thompson across Scotland produces the following figures:

1841 Census = 31817 Thomson's & 3645 Thompson's giving a total figure of 35462

1881 Census =  47333 Thomson's & 5975 Thompson's - a staggering total of 53308

Allan Thomson

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:24:47 PM by Allan Thomson »

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
OK - So, we know what the Thom(p)sons did when they weren't FIGHTING!  Ahem!

F.M.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:59:09 AM »
OK - So, we know what the Thom(p)sons did when they weren't FIGHTING!  Ahem!

Thanks for my morning laugh! Funny  ;)
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
Allan --

What year did UK census start to include information besides head of household and number in household with age/sex?  I mean, wife's name, birth place, d.o.b., children's birth, name, etc?

Thanks for your info on the 1841 and 1881 census data, by the way!

Mary

Allan Thomson

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 02:07:52 PM »
Off the top of my head....

The head of household was not recorded on the 1841 census.  The 1841 census records dwelling place, names of household, age (rounded down to the nearest 5 ie age 28 recorded as 25 etc), occupation.  Place of birth was recorded as either "in" or "not in" this county (ie where the census took place) or if they were English, Irish or foreign.

I know that later census such as 1881 had more exact details of birthplace and age and also noted head of household and relationships.  Not sure when this started, however i can look it up and post later.  Regards, Allan.