Author Topic: Vist to 9th greatgrandfather's Landgrant  (Read 6853 times)

Thomas B. Thompson

Vist to 9th greatgrandfather's Landgrant
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
About 2 weeks ago Barbara and I were back in northern Va. I had some info on my grandfather's landgrant in Charles County, Maryland. He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1646. He migrated to America around 1685 and establihed a farm in what was then Charles County, Maryland. He obtained his landgrant from Col. Ninian Beall. He named his landgrant " Scotland " according to documents.
This old farm served as an artillary battery location for the Union during the Civil War in the " Battle of Bladensburg ". It property was dicated as an historic cemetery by president Lincoln after the war.
It is know now as " Fort Lincoln Cemetery ". At the entrance, there is an plauqe which gives a brief history of the property and list the names of the former owners. His name " William Thompson " is among those names and I had Barbara take a picture of me pointing to it.
Still standing and kept in excellent condition is the spring house he built in 1685. It was an odd but
fulfilling movement when I was touching and standing in a structure he had built 326 years ago.
I have some pictures I'd like to share, but need to figure how to get them on the forum. Soon I Hope!
Just thought I'd share!

Tom and Barbara

Thomas B. Thompson

Re: Vist to 9th greatgrandfather's Landgrant
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:50:50 PM »
Please forgive some of my spelling. It's been a long day at work and it's almost 2:00 am.
Fingers going faster than my brain.
Tom