Author Topic: Robert Thompsons in Virginia in the 1600s  (Read 25655 times)

lindat

Robert Thompsons in Virginia in the 1600s
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
Has anyone else tried to sort out the Robert Thompsons in Virginia in the 1600s?
My 4th g grandmother was Hannah Thompson b. 1735 in Albemarle County, VA. She married David Epperson there.
Hannah Epperson was named in her father, Robert Thompson's, will.
Hannah's father, Robert, was christened April 24, 1687 in New Kent County, Virginia. He married Jean/Jane Via and died in 1778 in Albemarle County.
Hannah had a brother named Robert b. 1713 in New Kent, VA.
I believe Hannah's grandfather was Robert Thompson b. 1661 in New Kent, VA and died April 1702 in the same county. He married Judith (possibly Key).
There is a Robert Thompson who married Sarah Farley in 1727 in Henrico County. He was born sometime in the late 1600s and his will is dated March 27, 1751 in Chesterfield County. I believe he died in 1754.
There is a Robert Thompson who was born in 1642 in Scotland and married Elizabeth Stewart. He died in 1698 in Henrico County, VA. He had a son named Robert.
There is a Robert Thompson who married Temperance (The Widow Yancey). He could have had two wives before her. He, of course, had a son named Robert.
There are a few arrival records for Thompsons in the 1600s in Virginia. Maurice arrived in 1620. He died supposedly in New Kent in 1676. A Robert arrived in 1656 and another Robert in 1671.
Too many Roberts.  :(

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Robert Thompsons in Virginia in the 1600s
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:56:27 PM »
Don't know if any of this will be new to you......but found them and thought I'd sent them along :)

Check these two posts out:  http://genforum.genealogy.com/via/messages/556.html

and http://genforum.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?forum=via&url=%2Fvia%2F&path=%2Fvia%2F&terms=thompson&boolean=AND

and this one from http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/index.php?topic=2879.210;wap2
sheilasthompson:
Robert Thompson b.1500 m. unknown
*Maurice Thompson b.1530 d. 1560 m. Katherine Harvey
**Robert Thompson b. 1560 d. 1634 m. Elizabeth Harsnett
***Maurice Thomson b. 1614 m. unknown
****Robert Thompson b.1661 d. 1702 m. Judith LNU
*****Robert Thompson b. 1687 d. 1778 m. Jean Via
******Robert Thompson b. 1713 d. 1787 m. Patience Thompson
*******Bartlett Thompson b. 1739 m. Susannah Hatcher
********Bartlett Thompson b. 1760 m. Ann Hambleton
*********Samuel Bacon Thompson b. 1807 d. 1890 m. Rachael Smith
**********Robert Thomas Thompson b. 1845 d. 1888 m. Arinda Cooksey
***********Robert Thomas Thompson b. 1881 d. 1961 m. Ella Rayborn
************Harry Oliver Thompson b. 1919 d. 1997 m. Gertrude Wright
*************Patricia Ann Thompson b. 1946
**************Sheila M. Thompson b. 1965 m. James Todd Smith

lindat

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
Mary, Thank you very much for the links. I am reasonably sure to the Robert b. 1661 who married Judith (possibly Key). Most information on a Maurice Thompson has him born 1599 or 1604. He was in Virginia in 1620 and owned property in England and America. He could have had a son named Maurice but logically not born in 1614. Records say a Maurice Thompson died in New Kent County, VA in 1676. There is probably too big of a gap between this 1599/1604 Maurice and 1661 Robert for them to be father and son. A generation is probably missing if Robert is descended from Maurice. I am skeptical of Maurice being the ancestor as starting with 1661 Robert, there are no males named Maurice. One would think there would be. The Robert Thompson b. 1642 would be a more logical father. He did have a son named Robert but I can't find a birth date/year. A daughter named Elizabeth was born in 1662. Other offspring I could find were Stewart 1670, William 1678 and John 1682. There most likely were more. Will keep digging. I have a good sized pile of copies of land and church records already to attempt to at least eliminate some of these guys.
Linda

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25:14 AM »
Hi Linda -

Well, here's another link with connections to the Waddy-Thompson line:   http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/t/h/o/Horace-A-Thompson/GENE8-0020.html

Have you had a chance to visit Virginia and do on-site genealogy research? I did some years ago on Tom's other line from James City and found that their libraries have loads of info...in the town, county seat and well as the Library of VA.

lindat

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »
Mary,
 Thanks again for the links. It makes sense that my Robert b. 1661 fits into the Maurice and Waddy Thompson bunch because they were all in New Kent County. There is a 60 year gap, though, between Maurice and his brothers (George, William, Paul and Robert) and my 1661 Robert Thompson. My gut says there is somebody in the middle. I saw a notation that Maurice's brother Robert left an existing will. Must find that.
 No, I haven't been to Virginia to do research yet. I do plan to get out there eventually.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »
Well, it's very possible Maurice could have fathered Robert at age 57.....amazingly (we always tend to think of them as dying young but mostly, WOMEN died young in or from childbirth) many older men fathered children on 2nd, 3rd or additional subsequentr wives. They offered stability and an inheritance to the widow and children which was attractive to many. So I understand why you are looking for an interim generation.......but it may not exist. The other interesting item is that Maurice's wife is UNK. THAT seems to happen more frequently when there have been more than one and her identification died with her and her children were "assigned" to the next wife's records. What we've found doing research is if there were already children in the household, another marriage took place QUICKLY because the children needed a mother. You may be right - but don't discard the possibility that it was Maurice. That would work with a Maurice dying in 1676 too. Just some thoughts :)

lindat

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
Mary,
 Yes, it's possible "old" Maurice Thompson was the father of 1661 Robert. Records indicate "old" Maurice had at least one son - John Thompson (b. abt. 1648, mother's name Dorothy Vaux, and John had at least 11 children) who was made Baronet of Haversham (in England) in 1673. He was made Baron of Haversham in 1696. John's son, Maurice (1675-1745), was the second baron of Haversham. The son had no male children and so the titles died out. Since John was of importance I may be able to find more info on his family. Must get to errands now.

lindat

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »
Wow. I have found a whole bunch of stuff on Maurice/Morris Thompson and his siblings and son, John. I still don't know if I am related to this guy but what and interesting family!!!!! It seems he was a businessman/trader who spent a good deal of time sailing around the New World and back and forth to England. Records indicate a will in England and that he died there in the early 1670's. I don't know who that was who died in VA named Maurice. Fascinating. Eventually someone else will need this information. :)