Author Topic: DNA testing  (Read 22704 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Re: DNA testing
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »
Thomas B,

I believe the FHL part of your number is for the Family History Libraries. It's a genealogical project of the Mormon Church and they have lots of good information. That probably refers to one of the file numbers or something. I don't know about the rest of those numbers. Did the federal Works Projects Administration do a cemetery index? That might account for the WPA part.
The Reivers Ride Again!

E. Thompson

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 08:41:42 PM »
Tom,
Those numbers are microfilm index numbers at the family history library run by the mormon church in utah. a very valuable source of info

the FHL means Family History Library
 the number 882944-66 is really rolls 882944 through 882966 and they are microfilm photos of (See below):

Title Pre-1914 cemetery inscription card index
Stmnt.Resp. prepared by the Historical Records Survey Service Division, Work Projects Administration
Authors Historical Records Survey (North Carolina) (Added Author)

Notes Microfilm of originals in the North Carolina Department of Archives and History in Raleigh, North Carolina.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surname index cards list county, name of cemetery, town, person, date of birth, death date, age, spouse or parents, location of grave, military information. Cemetery cards are organized alphabetically by county, alphabetically by town and then alphabetically by cemetery name.

I'm sure if you went to the Dept of archives in Raliegh they could help you go right to your ancesters card- from what is stated above it would seem to have a lot of good info on it.

What the computer # is I don't know- possibly something that the archives in Raliegh assigned to those rolls. If you can't get to Raliegh then if there is a Mormon Church near where you live (aka Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints if you were looking it up in the phone book). A lot of them have small verison familyhistory libraries in the building and the volunteers are very helpful in getting you what you need. Most times it has tobe sent away for and it could take a week or so to get the film in.

If you have any questions you can email me at EThompson365@aol.com or just put a posting on this site. I've been doing genealogy work since 1991 and I never mind helping anyone interested in researching their own family. It looks like you've done a good deal already.

Ed Thompson

E. Thompson

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »
Tom B just one thing further

The roll that you ancestor would be on would be FHL-882962  that has the surname alphabetical listing from "swo" to "wall"

Ed Thompson

Booner

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
Hi all,

For the last few weeks I've been working on my family history, as I too, had my DNA tested.  I turns out that 1. I am fully human, (contrairy to what some on this forum think!).  Tom & I have exchanged our DNA info and we find we are related, to what extent, our guess is it must be prior to the 1790's.  I am also related to T-108, T-124, T-36, T-39 James Steele Thompson, Jaret Thompson, and Thomas Thompson of Pelham Mass also.

If my memeory serves me right, the James Steele Thompson was in KY in the mid 1800's and the Thomas Thompson of Pelham Mass. was ther in the mid 1700's.   I don't have any history of my direct Thompson ancestors being in either one of these states, so I must assume that the relationship occured prior to the 1700's-back in the old country. In both cases of the above matches, the most common direct ancestor was 7-8 generations back, which would put the person who joins us all was in Ireland and the family emmigrated to the states at different time and to different places.

I also matched 35 of 37 markers with two family's named Wallen and Fitzpatrick-both of thes families trace their ancestors to Ireland.

We're getting closer to finding our roots to the old world; it's just a matter of time & work.

Booner