Genealogy > Thom(p)son Genealogy

Robert Thompsons in Virginia in the 1600s

<< < (2/2)

Mary:
Well, it's very possible Maurice could have fathered Robert at age 57.....amazingly (we always tend to think of them as dying young but mostly, WOMEN died young in or from childbirth) many older men fathered children on 2nd, 3rd or additional subsequentr wives. They offered stability and an inheritance to the widow and children which was attractive to many. So I understand why you are looking for an interim generation.......but it may not exist. The other interesting item is that Maurice's wife is UNK. THAT seems to happen more frequently when there have been more than one and her identification died with her and her children were "assigned" to the next wife's records. What we've found doing research is if there were already children in the household, another marriage took place QUICKLY because the children needed a mother. You may be right - but don't discard the possibility that it was Maurice. That would work with a Maurice dying in 1676 too. Just some thoughts :)

lindat:
Mary,
 Yes, it's possible "old" Maurice Thompson was the father of 1661 Robert. Records indicate "old" Maurice had at least one son - John Thompson (b. abt. 1648, mother's name Dorothy Vaux, and John had at least 11 children) who was made Baronet of Haversham (in England) in 1673. He was made Baron of Haversham in 1696. John's son, Maurice (1675-1745), was the second baron of Haversham. The son had no male children and so the titles died out. Since John was of importance I may be able to find more info on his family. Must get to errands now.

lindat:
Wow. I have found a whole bunch of stuff on Maurice/Morris Thompson and his siblings and son, John. I still don't know if I am related to this guy but what and interesting family!!!!! It seems he was a businessman/trader who spent a good deal of time sailing around the New World and back and forth to England. Records indicate a will in England and that he died there in the early 1670's. I don't know who that was who died in VA named Maurice. Fascinating. Eventually someone else will need this information. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version