Genealogy > Thom(p)son DNA Project

A single family for Lyon Court

<< < (3/3)

Michael Thompson:
It WOULD be nice Sherry, if there were one authoritative answer to this question, but alas, it is not to be. Yes, the blue seems to be the most preferred and dominant tartan used by Thompsons, and the most recognizable. The camel is very common in Scotland as "burberry check" and quite popular as a fashion accessory. The grey is quite nice looking. The Hunting version is fairly rare, but I know some young people who are quite fond of it.

The real truth is that "clan tartans" as some official designation are largely the invention of a 19th century cloth merchant, who thought it would be a good way to sell more cloth. Tartans are associated with certain clans, but there was no set of "official clan tartans" in the old days, and even the kilt is of uncertain origin.

Actually, the best text on this whole subject that I've ever seen was written by a kinsman, named J. Charles Thomson. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/So-Youre-Going-Wear-Kilt/dp/185217126X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260755892&sr=8-1.

I prefer the blue because it seems to be the most widely recognized and associated more with Thompson than MacTavish, though some of them like it as well. But there's a lot of latitude in this area, despite what you might hear from the so-called purists. Perhaps Mary can give some better information when she returns; after all, she sells kilts.

Cheers,

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version