Author Topic: New member hello to the Clan  (Read 13998 times)

Kenton Thompson

New member hello to the Clan
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »
Hello everyone.  My name is Kenton Thompson and I'm a new member.  I met Duke Thompson at the Central Florida Games last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to find out about the Clan.  I live in the Orlando, FL area, but I was born in Springfield, MO as was my father, grandfather and great-grandfather.  I have gathered a lot of our geneology for other parts of my family tree, but don't have more than about 5 generations back on the Thompson's, so I'm hoping to find a connection or two from my fellow Clan members.  Like many of you, I have a mixed bag of ancestors, Scottish, Irish, English, Dutch, German.  We attend the games in Orlando every year and enjoy exploring our heritage.  My kids (24, 21, and 14 years old) look forward to the games every year and proudly wear their kilts as an emblem of a little part of who they are.  Unfortunately, my wife isn't quite so enthusiastic even though she shares the same ancestry.  Between the two of use we're related to at least 7 different Clans.

I look forward to getting to know some of you in the future.

All the best,
Kenton

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Re: New member hello to the Clan
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:20:40 AM »
Welcome Kenton!

My Thompsons are from the Indiana - North Carolina states, from what I can determine. But as the saying goes, "We're a' Jock Tamson's Bairns".

Welcome to the fray!
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:16:06 PM »
Welcome Kenton, and all your family. We're so glad to meet new clan members.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
Hi Kenton and Family!

Sorry I'm late getting on to welcome you!  I hope you plan on sending your genealogy info on to Cathy at mctavish@zimbrick.com .....she'll help you look the those pesky missing relatives and add your data to our own clan database that's hosted at Rootsweb.  We have had families connect through the forum, so don't think it can't happen!

Have you thought about doing DNA testing?  We've discovered that 5 or 6 of our members are more than just family by name........they are blood-related back to the border area of Scotland! If you're thinking about testing and have any questions, why not drop Tom and note and he'll call you......

Glad you made it to the game and found Duke, Fred, Babs and Taylor......the more the merrier!

We'll be looking for more posts!
Mary

Kenton Thompson

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
Thanks for welcome one and all...

Mary, I have considered DNA testing.  I've seen info on this and it looks interesting, but I'm a little undecided about what type to do, since you can do a fairly simple screening that only tests a small number of variables or the more extensive test that would provide more infomation (but of course is more expensive).  It would be interesting to see the results though, so I'm sure I'll break down and do it sometime.

Kenton

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:50:52 PM »
Hello Kenton,

Let me put my 2 cents in here - - - if you have siblings or father/uncles (Thompsons) who might be interested, you could all chip in and pay for ONE more extensive DNA test on you and it would basically apply to all. The variations between relationships that close would be minimal (in the DNA sense). Just something to think about as a way to know more about your roots the cheapest way - - - I would encourage the 67 marker test whenever you could afford it based on what I have seen from various sites/members. It's great that you are interested and planning on pursuing the idea!

F.M.

Kenton Thompson

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:27:48 PM »
F.M. - Thanks, good to get input on this.

GeorgeT

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
Welcome Home !!

As a fellow THOMPSON I have to say it is great to hear from you.
I have been into the genealogy for several years and have traced my Thompson line back to
William Thompson 1375 Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

The Thompson line I followed has links to just about all states.

To discuss it further, please Email me at:
gthompson42@sc.rr.com

I recently moved from the home gorounds (southern Ohio and West Va) to So. Car.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
-Steve Thompson-

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »
Welcome to the clan Kenton! Hope you find the experience fun and enlightening!
Hey Steve... got any Thompsons in mid-coast Maine? My line goes from David Thompson (b. abt 1800 m. Joanna Collamore in 1829) to William S. Thompson to Augustus B. Thompson to Catherine L. Thompson to Elmer R. Thompson to me.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 05:53:53 PM »
Kenton, Welcome to The Clan! My name is Karma and I am Jim Thompson's wife. I haven't posted or even been on in ages (sorr,y brothers and sisters). I have a family tree building on Ancestry.com and you are Welcome to view it. It's Jimmie Neal Thompson's Family Tree. We live in Camdenton, MO. I graduated from what was SMSU and lived in Springfield. Our Thompson's appear to have come here by way of James (Jimmie) Thompson somewhere around 1735 and they originally settled outside Philadelphia, Pa. I have them through N.C., S.C. (some appear to have peeled off to Kentucky and Tenn.) but Jim's direct ancestor then went on down into Georgia, then into Arkansas and finally into Missouri. Have any names? Maybe we're related!  :o Karma

Kenton Thompson

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 07:12:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for the offers of assistance, I hope to add some info to my current family tree. The Thompson line of my tree only goes back 5 generations prior to me.  My father and Grandfather were both born in Springfield, MO, my GG-father, Otis Leroy Thompson was born in Moberly, MO in 1882.  His father, William Anderson Thompson, was born in Tenn. in 1857.  His father, James P. Thompson was married in Ray Co., MD (to Amanda Alvina Parker) in 1852, but I don't know where he was born.  That's were it ends on the Thompson side.  My hard drive crashed with my Roots software on it, so I'm going to have to recover, or re-enter, the info to have an electronic version to share.

Karma, both of my parents went to SMSU and my Grandmother, Ruth Stanley Thompson was an art professor at SMSU.  One of my Great Uncles, last name Kemper, has a building at SMSU named after him. 

All the best,
Kenton Thompson

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
Hello Kenton
    Glad to see your posts.  I am interested in your thoughts on DNA testing. It is my experience that testing for 12 markers only show very limited relationships. The same can be said for 25 markers. When you find a 35 or 36 out of 37 marker match you can expect to have a DNA connection within 3 or 4 generations of the oldest male in the line. A generation is 30 years. A 37/37 match means you share an extremely close common ancestor. 50% of the time within 5 generations or less.
   Specifically, if you match someone with the same surname, you have a 99.9% likelihood of sharing a common ancestor with that person in a genealogical time frame. Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) for the T time lived. SO - 67/67 match has a 50% probability that the MRCA lived no longer ago than 2 generations, A 90%  probability that the MRCA lived no longer ago than 4 generations. The generations are doubled if the match is 66/67.
   I have a 36/37 match with Thomas Thompson, b 1753, Pelham MA. It is possible that Thomas was one of my ancestors or a brother/cousin of my migrating ancestor. Over 250 years the allele could have mutated by one or two markers. Example; In a 24/25 related match usually the most probable mutated  allele will be a DYS : 439,385a,385b,389-1,389-2, and 458,459a, 459b, 464a-d, If so then the probability of a close relationship is very high.
  I hope I have not confused you.
TOM

Kenton Thompson

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 08:32:56 PM »
Tom,
Thanks for the insight.  I've looked over the testing options and while it's obvious that the 67 maker test is more comprehensive, it's difficult to tell how much more it really tells you and whether the additional information is worth paying about twice as much for the information.  Since the results are seldom conclusive as to an exact match, the information seems to be more of general interest regarding family origins and migration patterns over time.  Maybe I'm selling this short, but I don't expect to be able to pencil in any names on my family tree as a result of taking a DNA test. 

If I'm mistaken, I would be interested in knowing.  Maybe some of the other folks in the forum have success stories to share that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kenton

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
This sounds like your family................

Found this entry on Ancestry.................... maybe it will give you some help? I found a couple of records - all say the marriage was in Ray, MISSOURI - not Maryland.  Have some additional info if this is yours........

James P. Thompson
    *  Birth:   Apr 1829 - Tennessee
    * Marriage:  14 Apr 1852 - Ray, Missouri, USA
    * Death:  4 Jan 1904 - Washita, Oklahoma, USA
    * Parents:  John Thompson, Mary McGee
    * Spouse:  Amanda Alvina Parker

Mary