Genealogy > Thom(p)son DNA Project

mtDNA.......what one should I choose?

<< < (2/2)

Thomas Thompson:
Hi Cathy
   When it comes to grade school stuff - I'm your man. Tow years in Kindergarden didn't count for nothing.
Your numbers correlate to: DNA Y- Chromosome Segment (DYS) this is the top number.Below this number is: Allele One of the different forms of a gene that can exist at a single locus.Mutations of an Allele occur very slowly (a man and his great grandfather should have the same Allele.
  Another factor is the Haplotype: i.e. branches of the human genetic tree. (over thousands of years) show the migrations of humans. R1b1b2 found in Scotland and Britain.
   A marker is an allele number on a single DYS ( 393DYS can have 13, 14, etc.) If two men have a perfect match of 12 for 12 markers (entry level) that means you have a shared common male ancestor. 11 out of 12 means possible related, 10 out of 12 means probably not related.
 Next level is 25 markers. 25/25 and the same surname show Related, and 24/25 also show related.23/25 show probably related.
 Nest higher level of accuracy is 37 Markers. 37out of 37 matches means you share an extremely close common ancestor. 50% of the time within 5 generations (30 years to a generation) A 90% probably within 16 generations. A 36/37 match shows tightly related ancestors.
 A67/67 usually means a common family link (brothers, uncles,or cousins) in 5 generations.
 For more information consult "Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation"
A final note. In my Profile R1b1b2 I have a 36/37 match with Jarrett Thompson b.1841 TN. and a 35/37 match with James Steele Thompson b1780 NC.and 36/37 match with Thomas Thompson b 1753 Pelham MA.
Hope this helps.
Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version