Genealogy > Thom(p)son DNA Project

Hello other children of Tom.

<< < (2/3) > >>

uneven:
I've been tooling around a bit. I remember reading somewhere that forum membership is separate from society membership. What is entailed in society membership and what are the dues?

mike

Thomas Thompson:
Good question Mike.

We debated about having a dual type membership. It is my position that we must have a method of providing for all divergent Thom's needs. I felt the free forum and general membership would stir interest and provide a service to any and all Thom's. Further I thought that, over time, most of the nonsupporting members would become supporting members by joining Clan Thompson Society.
   In the beginning we, as every nonprofit organization, needed a source of income. We started by forming a nonprofit Corporation. "Clan Thompson International, Inc. and established Clan Thompson Society as the business name. The parent Corporation pays for the web site (forum), tent equipment,
and some of the games fees. Thankfully some of our members have assumed the costs of game fees at various events around the nation. Without their generous donations we would not be able to have a presence at many of the games. We also publish a Quarterly newsletter. We voted to use the internet for the newsletter to hold postage costs down. Additionally the Supporting membership dues pay for the Licence and State corporation fees and liability insurance for the tents at the various games. The supporting members attend a general membership meeting once a year and have the duty to vote ( those unable to attend vote by mail) and serve as Directors, Officers, approve of the budget, changes to Articles of Corporation, bylaws and location of the next AGM as well as any other items they feel important.The membership dues also go into an account to pay for the Lyon Court fees for formal recognition. With the current exchange rate I am planning on a cost of about $6,000.00 for the Petition. We are in the final draft version of the Petition and hope to iron out the final sticking points soon. I plan on posting the complete Petition on the members only topic section after Lyon receives it and has had time to ask for more information or has commented on it. The delay of posting is because I don't want to do anything to jeopardize our position.
   You will find a hot link on the home page to a membership application form and a credit card (paypal) link for supporting membership.
Thanks of the question and I hope I have answered your questions.
Tom

uneven:
Thanks Tom. You've answered all my questions.

Stirling Thompson:
Mike, a hearty welcome from the Thompsons of New England! Born in Maine currently living in exile in Massachusetts.
Stu

uneven:
Thanks Stu. It's good to meet you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version