Genealogy > Thom(p)son Genealogy

Butler county Pennsylvania Woohoo!

(1/3) > >>

uneven:
I finally have a birth place for Levi Thompson..well, my Levi Thompson. I ordered some information from the Indiana State Archives and they had a card giving his age and his nativity which is listed as Butler County Pennsylvania. It also gave me a description. Dark complected with dark hair and hazel eyes, 5' 10" tall.

I've read a bit on the history of Butler county and it seems like much of it was settled in 1796 not too far from Levi being born in 183(4-7). Many of the residents are said to come from Lancaster and Juniatta (spelling).

Of course cursory searches of Familysearch.org haven't turned him up in 1850 but I've begun going through page by page because the index is often wrong (it is about all his other records).

I also think that if he had a waking memory of being from Butler County PA his family was probably there for the 1840 census. I may be able to limit my Thompson families down to half a dozen or so instead of searching the entire state.

mike

Sis Thompson's oldest:
Whoop Whoop!

Now won't it be ever so interesting if the trail leads to my Thompsons....stranger things have happened.
Congrats!

uneven:
With help from Dusevoir I was able to spend the weekend grabbing trees from ancestry.com and matching them up a bit with the two histories of Butler co available online. Of course, none of them contains a Levi Thompson but I can get some idea of which Thompson families have been followed and which haven't. Not to say that they are all accurate, but it's a start.

Right now I've got my eye on three brothers who move from Lancaster and settle in the Franklin township area. John, James and Matthew. I've been able to find some information on John and his children from the history. John settles in and has many children who intermarry with other local families. He also appears to be the only tax paying land owner right up front.

Matthew is of particular interest because in the section written in 1883 it says that all his children had left the neighborhood. I know that he marries the daughter of Aaron Moore, Nancy..but no children are listed.

Brother James moves to Center Township. There are many Thompsons in Center so I haven't been able to sort out which Thompsons are his.

The thing that got my attention is that these brothers are not well followed, really only seem to appear in the context of other citizens, and are mentioned as being "other Thompsons from a different family". It's everything I expect from my Thompsons.

Mary:
Mike -

Let us know if you happen to run into a Francis or Franklin Thompson in your Pennsylvania explorations. He was in Lewistown, Mifflin County, PA.  Can't find the little bugger!

uneven:
Francis is a repeating name in my family for at least one man and one woman in two generations. Although I'm not sure where it comes from. My great grandfather's brother was Francis Pearl Thompson and their aunt was Rena Francis Thompson. It may be nothing but an odd pattern.

I'll keep my eye out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version