Genealogy > Thom(p)son Genealogy

NEW RESEARCH

(1/2) > >>

Thomas Thompson:
Random genealogical data to date.

Search of surname Thomson and connections in Dumfriesshire county census by civil Parish.
  Annan                           87 listed
  Bonhill                          51 listed
  Cardross                       35 listed
  Kirkintilloch                  49 listed
  New Killpatrick              20 listed

Obituary of Mrs. Alexander Thomson of Dumfries.  Better known as Jessy Lewars, her maiden name.  She along with her brother and sister were close friends and confidents of the poet Robert Burns.
After the poet’s death she gave many of his manuscripts and letters to Dr Currie for the biography.

In Monypeny’s chronicle, published in 1587.  The list of “chief men of name, not being lairds” has two men of interest to our cause.
  “Young Archie Thomson and Sym Thomson”

The subject; The English army is ravaging East Lothian and Dumfriesshire led by Lord Lennox and Wharton in 1547. “ All clans and the surnames of the neither part of Annandale, came and received an oath of obeisance as subjects to the King of England.
And by some of the Armstrongs, Beatties, Thomsons, Littles, and other border stragglers who were not dependent on any special chief.”
   In Bell’s MS., preserved in the Carisle Cathedral Library, there is a list of chiefs and their men who surrendered on this occasion to the English. It differs slightly from the two lists preserved among the State papers of Edward VI., as do those two lists from each other.  There are 304 names of Beatties, Littles and Thomsons.
  We are trying to find a copy of this manuscript.

Thomas Thompson:
     Still More !
    A diligent researcher sent this to us.  While reading “Steel Bonnets naming people’s surnames of the Marches, I found this little tidbit. “Nixon (Nicksoun) – Scottish and English. Upper Liddesdale, Bewcastle, Line rivers. Often described as having many “loose men”. Chief branch, Steile. The sons of Nick were a troublesome breed, and an important part of the Armstrong-Elliot-Nixon-Croser confederacy.  Although a smaller and less compact family than the Armmstrongs, they were important enough to have THOMSONS, Glendennings and Hunters living “under them”, which is another way of saying associated with them. Like other Liddesdales, they sometimes allied with England.
   Because of Cromwell carrying off and destroying so many records of Scotland, I wonder if we might find some records of the Thomsons in England.  Page numbers and publ. Not listed.

We have the names of THOMSONE, THOMSON, THOMPSON surnames listed in Dumfries – Birth/Christening, and Marriages.
Between 1606 and 1761 there were 122 Births/Christenings.
Between 1619 and 1742 we have the dates and male names of 78 with that surnames. Source listed.

Still another of our wonderful researchers reported:
Alexander Thomas – Born 1484 in Corstorphine, Midothian, Scotland. Died Sept 23, 1587 same place. (The Barony of Corstorphine was just west of Edinburgh)
  His father was also Alexander born 1460 (same place) died 1513 in Flodden England.
   His father was Sir Thomas Stewart born 1435.
   His father was Earl Alexander Stewart of Mar, born 1375, Mar Aberdeenshire and died July 26 1435.
We see the unbroken line went from Stewart to Thomson.

YOU MAY THINK YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE BUT THAT MAY BE WRONG. 
              We are compiling lists of individuals so that our MEMBERS can trace their ancestries.

Forum_mgr:
Well said, Thomas.

I have been informed that the Clan Thompson Society will soon be ready to accept memberships to help us launch the recovery of our clan. Many expenses are ahead - in this country and in Scotland - and we need members to help us. This is exciting - our correspondence with Lyon Court has been ongoing  and Lyon has requested additional information which is WHERE YOUR RESEARCH comes in. If you haven't contributed, please do. This is more than a "viewing" forum - this one needs to be a WORKING forum, at least until there is enough information researched to satisfy Lyon Court.

Booner:
Dear Forum Manager

I would be happy to do some reasearch. But in order to prevent me from plowing the same feild as others, could you give me something specific to research? Such as such & such parish.  I'd like to try and be systematic if possible.

Thank you
Booner 

Thomas Thompson:
Thanks, Booner -

Lothian (around Edinburgh). In the "old days," Lothian would have been the northern boundary of the borderlands, before it became the center of Scotland. We need to find Thomsons in Lothian, as far back as we can (preferably 15-1600s, although documentation of that time period is scarce).  One of our members is doing Strathclyde and Ayr, I'm concentrating on Dumfriesshire, and MACTAVISH is finding extent documentation of anything he can in the borders area. Apparently the Lothian area is now divided into west/east...but at one time it may have been just "Lothian."

Our combined research will be put together in "some kind" of logical form and sent on.

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version