General Category > NEW MEMBERS! Introduce yourselves here!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jim Reed, PA Commish:
Jason,

Yes, Coal Mining was a major source of employment in Central PA during the late 1800's and early 1900's. one of my non-Thomson relatives lived and worked in the mine in Nanty Glo.

Stirling Thompson:
Jason and Jim, Welcome aboard! Lots of fun and craziness around here and lots of good folks too! Hang on and enjoy the ride!
Stu

Mary:
Hello and welcome, Jason and Jim!  And gang, not only are they new members of the Forum, but they are new members of the Clan Thompson Society as well!  Double welcome! It's been a good month for our society.

I know both of you have talked with my husband, Tom.......but this is MY chance to have two words and welcome you!

Jason- my mother's father (Welsh coal miner emigrant) came from Brynmawr, Wales........which is 3 miles from NantyGlo Wales and he also ended up in PA in the coal fields but near Pittsburgh.  Funny because the town/county you mentioned in PA have Welsh names and were FULL of the Scots-Irish and Welsh coal miners. Hadn't heard/thought of NantyGlo Wales in years! 

Jim - I think many (if not most) of us have "experiences" with MacThomas, MacTavish, DHA, etc. The MacTavish connection was trumpeted for years in an effort (I fully agree with you) to convince Thom(p)sons that we were MacTavish.  Well, we've pretty much put THAT theory to bed!

For both of you - when you get your  membership packages, you will find genealogy record forms included. If you don't have your genealogy info digitized on your computer, please fill out what you know and send them on to Cathy.  If you have FTM or a GEDCOM of your genealogy info, please email a copy of that to her. Once her hubby gets a bit further on the road to recovery form his surgery, she will be able to get back to helping our members with their genealogy.

And if you have any researched information on Thom(p)son history/genealogy that you've discovered in your research, please post it and share it with all of us. We're searching all the time and have lots of mentions of Thom(p)sons in old books and documents....but we're always looking for more research to eventually be able to product a viable history. The fact we are a patronymic surname just adds additional research problems to this effort!  All input is sought and welcome. 

Also.....there are no dumb questions here! We're family and are here to help!

Mary

Beverly Kohn(Thompson):
         Hello and welcome to Jim and Jason!! You are not alone in your search and we will help when we can. The people here are very trustworthy and loyal so please join in and welcome to the family!
          Bev

Duke Thompson:
Hello Jim and Jason,

And WELCOME!!!  My Thompsons are also from PA even as early as two generations ago!  Working that through on ancestry.com.  Glad to have you both on-board and happy to see you participating in the forum!

Duke

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version