Author Topic: Highland Games and Festivals  (Read 91164 times)

Stirling Thompson

Re: Highland Games and Festivals
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 07:29:43 AM »
Ern... Thanks a bunch! How are things in the land down under? I was there in 1968 on R & R from 'Nam. Stayed in a little hotel in the Paddington section of Sydney. It was in Nov and the weather wasn't to bad most of the time. I did the tourist stuff... cruise on Sydney harbor... bus trip to Kuringai Chase... local bars... etc. etc. I remember all the bartenders in Sydney seemed to be from New York City! Anyway, I had a great time and always hoped I might get back some day but it hasn't happened yet.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
Stu...I remember those times quite well. I spent my R&R in Hong Kong about the same time you were in my home town of Sydney. The Paddington area was an old stomping ground in my youth befor enlisting. Can be a fun place.
Things have changed somewhat and I now live in the sub-tropics just outside of Brisbane which is approx. 600 miles north of Sydney. At present it is mid winter and 16C degrees max. and the nights about 6C deg. which to us is freezing. Can't wait till it's over.
Hope your memories of your visit down-under are all good.

Ern

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 06:13:30 AM »
Ern,

I thought I remembered them well also but then again... I looked at a map of Sydney and what they called Paddington seemed to be to far from the water. I recall the hotel being close to the water and I can remember walking past HMAS Rushcutters and thinking how odd it was that shore stations were named the same as ships. I must be getting old! I know we had Aussie troops in 'Nam... were you among those fine lads? If so when and where? I was stationed in Chu Lai from Nov 67 to Aug 69 with VMA(aw)533 as part of MAG 12, 1st MAW as an aircraft electrician on A6A Intruders. I had a great time on my R&R in Sydney with nearly all good memories... except one. I went walkabout one day exploring the city and when I got hungry I thought I'd get a burger for lunch... turns out they mix a little cattle feed in with the burger down under... not to my liking.
Stu
Stu

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »
Stu,

Your memory seems to be working fine from your recollections of old Paddo and it's surrounds.
Like most things in Australia we follow  British traditions, and in this case, the Royal Navy tradition of naming  Naval Shore Establishments as ships.
During the Viet Nam conflict approx. 50,000 Australian servicemen and women served in support of the U.S.
My small contribution was 1968-69 as a Company Medic with Delta Coy, Ist Bn Royal Australian Regiment. We operated out of Nui Dat to places such as the Ho Chi Minh Trail, Long Binh etc. etc.
and took a major role in the 68 Tet Offensive.
I guess your taste buds must have been out of whack from too many ration packs as the beef used in Aussie hamburgers in the 60's was pure beef not Big Mac cardboard. Either that or they saw you coming and gave you sausage mince , now that had saw dust in it.

Ern

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 05:08:04 AM »
Ern,

In case no one ever said it... Welcome home bro... and thank you for your service!

I remember that burger very clearly... it definitely had green stuff in it... about the color, consistency, and flavor of the parsley flakes we use for garnish over here. Could have been alfalfa maybe... yum, yum, yu..cchhhh!
Stu
Stu

MACTAVISH

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »
THIS IS A FITTING PLACE FOR ME TO EXPRESS MY GRATITUDE,RESPECTS  AND ADMIRATION TO THOSE THAT SERVED IN VIETNAM. IVE SERVED IN OTHER THEATRES OF CONFLICT AND HAVE THE EXPERIENCE TO EMPATHISE WITH YOU. YOUR COUNTRIES OWE YOU A HUGE DEBT OF RECOGNITION.HEADS UP.

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »

To those who served in Nam.
Hello Brothers!
I also served in Vietnam--- 1966 to 1969
I was also in Chu Lai with Force Logistics Group-Bravo 3rd MAF
Sterling of MAG-12, I was down towards the south end of the base
about halfway between the PX and the Navy sand ramp.
My jobs there consisted of Communication Center Supervisor, Assit NCOIC/
Civil Affairs-Industrial Relations, Squad leader on the reactionary platoon.
Alot of interesting times.
Hope to meet you guys someday soon
Best Wishes
Tom

Barbara

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 03:15:36 PM »
A heart felt THANK YOU to all you Viet Nam Vets and all the Vets from other conflicts and wars.  We don't show you guys enough appreciation,  please know your sacrifice is appreciated deeply.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »
I'm taking a couple of days off... heading north to Brunswick, ME for the Highland Games. I'll put in a report when I get back!
Stu

Booner

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 10:37:12 PM »
OK, I tried to send this earlier but i lost the post, so we're trying it again

On sept 4-7, representatives of Clan Thompson will be attending the THE LONGS PEAK SCOTTISH/IRISH HIGHLAND FESTIVAL along the banks of the mighty Big Thompson River in Estes Park, Colorado. (http://scotfest.com/ )  During the 3 days of the festival their expecting something like 80,000 visitors. I hope their ready for us!

Check out all the clans that will be there-->The following clans are expected to be on the field: Anderson, Armstrong, Baird, Blair, Bruce, Buchanan, Cameron, Campbell, Chisholm, Cian, Cochrane,Colquhoun, Cumming, Cunningham, Davidson, Donald, Donnachaidh/Robertson, Douglas, Dowling/Dunn, Dunlop/Dunlap, Elliot, Ferguson, Forbes,  Graham, Grant, Gregor, Gaelic Society of America, Gregor, Gunn, Hay, Henderson, Hunter, Innes, Johnston/e, Kennedy, Lindsay, Lockhart, Logan, MacCullum/Malcolm, MacDougal/MacDowell, MacDuff,  Macduff Ass. of NA, MacFarlane, MacFie, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKay, MacKenzie, Mackintosh, MacLaren, MacLean, MacLellan, MacLeod/Wishart, MacNab, MacNeil,  MacRae, Mac Tavish, Maxwell, Moffat, Montgomery, Morrison, Muirhead, Murray,  Pollock, Ross, Rutherford,  Scott, Scottish American Military Society, Stewart, Thompson,  Turnball, Urquhart, Wallace, Colorado Welch Society,  Young.

Tom, Harold, Patsy and I will be manning the table, dispensing truth & wisdom to all that require education.  Estes Park Is at 8500-9000 feet elevation so you can never tell what the weather will be like. This past weekend it snowed above 10,00 feet.  And the elk might be in rutt, and they do come into town, so I hope they stay away from our side of the tent.

When Tom & I first spoke about the clan making an appearance, it looked for a time that it might just be me.  I didn't have a problem with that but i didn't like the idea of being the only one marching under the Thompson banner, so i invited the members of my motorcycle club (Veterans of Vietnam M/C to join me/us.  So their should be about a dozen "Thompson's for a day" marching with us in their motorcycle leathers--but since we're a border clan, they should fit right in (they wanted to ride their bikes, but that just ain't happening)

My kilt should be arriving any day, and I have all the other accoutrements, including a basket-hilted sword.  I just have to find a big blue ribbon to hang from the kilt.  I'll be "styling in plaid"   MACTAVISH-- the bottom of the kilt comes just to the top of the knees??? (i got killer knees).

Oh, like last year one of the bands that will be playing is Albannach. And just like last year, I-will-not collect any sweat from "Jamesie." I have my standards.  That does do weird things to the women though, I better wear my kilt to the concert.

Anyway, I'm very excited about the games (they'll have jousting!) AND i'LL BE RECRUITING MY BRAINS OUT. It's time we expand our membership out here in the west.

My best regards

Booner

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:37:36 AM by Forum_mgr »

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 06:27:10 AM »
Well I'm back! We had a great time at the 30th Annual Maine Higland Games held at Thomas Point Beach in Brunswick, ME on Saturday. Dottie and I took our oldest grandson and one of his friends along it was their first games and they had a wonderful time watching the athletics and listening to Prydein playing cuts from their latest CD "Loud Pipes Save Lives!". The featured entertainers were the Tannahill Weavers direct from Scotland and one of the finest traditional bands in the world. In addition to the athletics there was dance and band competitions, sheep dog demonstrations, historic Scots reenactors, loads of vendors and of course the Clan Tents. Clan Murray was the Honored Clan for this years festivities but there were many others to keep them company. Dottie and I had gone to the NH games last year which is the largest in New England and took place over three days but even though this was a one day affair we both liked the Maine games better. The weather was beautiful and the way everything was laid out didn't leave you exhausted trying to get from one event/display to another. Looking forward to next year already. Meanwhile there are more games coming up this year but don't know how many I'll be able to get to since it gets expensive with the travelling. This weekend there are games in Quechee, VT and next month is the NH games at Loon Mountain. In October there are two games in Connecticut, one on the 4th in Goshen and the other on the 12th in Scotland. I'm going to try to go to the Scotland games since that's only about an hour away. Someday maybe I can get a tent and represent the Clan Thompson Society at some of these New England games and give some competition to those other guys who are well represented up this way. In fact I've heard they are to be the Honored Clan at the New Hampshire games this year so I think I'll skip that one.
Stu

MACTAVISH

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 10:01:28 AM »
IM SO PROUD OF YOU BOONER -AND Y'ALL. THE MORE YOU GROW THE MORE THEY DIMINISH! KEEP THOSE KNEES SHOWING; REMEMBER, ONLY WOMEN WEAR KILTS PAST THAT.

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
Hey Booner,
   I used to live in Lafayette, CO.
Been to Estes Park a number of times.
My girlfriend and I plus some of my family will be there this year.
Hopefuly about 5 0r 6 of us. Should swell the ranks some.
See Ya in Sept.
 Best Wishes
Tom and Barbara

Barbara

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 07:30:09 PM »
Stu, thanks for the report on the Main Highland Games.  Wish we all could have been there with you.  I also think it would be great if you could have a tent and represent the Thompsons in the New England States too.  Wouldn't that be grand! 

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Barbara

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »
Dan, I'll bet you'll look bonnie in your Kilt,  almost as good as Jamesie.  ;D  Oh please, please capture some of Jamesie's sweat in a vial for me to wear as a necklace, close to my heart.... :-*  Jamesie would gladly give it up if you told him who it was for.   ;D  I missed Albannach at Glasgow this year, they did a charity affair in Scotland at that time, made me proud of them.   :D

What an impression you and your motorcycle friends will make, dang, wish John and I could be there.  I'm so glad that Tom, Harold and Patsy are going to be there to help you.  I've no doubt you can handle it by yourself with no problems but it's nice to have some help the first time.

Tom and Barbara I'm so proud you and some of your family are going too.  We are going to be so well represented at Estes Park and the weather should be perfect during the day!  Since we lived in Colorado for 10 years I advise you all take a jacket for the nights, for they will be cold if it's still like it was when we lived there. 

Barbara take lots of pictures so those of us who can't be there can share in your fun and excitement. 

Barbara