Author Topic: Kansas City Games  (Read 22341 times)

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
Kansas City Games
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:10:45 PM »
I am so upset, I wrote a lovely piece about our experience and even attached pics of Lowell, Jim, Katey ( who wrestled!!! in the competition) and a new Thompson who was competing in Lowells weight class named David (whom I of course gave all the info to visit Clan Thompson.org) and when i hit post my computer failed! I will try to re-do tomorrow, I'm too tired tonite and now it is 12:10 am. We had a wonderful time!  Karma

Donna

Re: Kansas City Games
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
Hey Karma,    ;D
Even computers have senior moments!   Sounds like y'all had a wonderful time and I cant wait to see the photos.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »
Yep --- I'm convinced computers take a dive periodically just to prove their superiority! When Tom writes a long spiel, he does it in Word and then cut/pastes it into the post because he times out and loses the post (slow typist).  Take a deep breath .....the second will be better than the first!

Mary

Donna

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:38:37 AM »
Hey Mary,

The photo gallery is GREAT!   Thanks for making a special place for the photos.
The Thompsons are some good looking folks.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:33:28 AM »
Ok! I'm trying again! We attended Friday and Saturday 6/12& 6/13. We got there for the opening ceremonies and Jim and I felt very sad that our Clan was not torch bearing. :'( This was our first experience so we have nothing to compare with but it was packed Friday. We saw The Elders and they were awesome. Kate and Jim wound up going to the "mosh pit" (Kate's term) and danced. Jim came back to the straw bales we were holding down and said he hoped he hadn't hurt himself! We stayed with his eldest sister Edna Jean Thompson Cunningham and took her with us. I got a picture of her and Jim watching the opening ceremonies. Kate found "Tartanic" playing in another tent and immediately became a groupie and she made friends with another young lass from Clan Hays and they spent Saturday hanging out all over the park. Saturday we got there for the opening of the Games and hooked up with Lowell. Jim watched him compete until the finish. We think he placed 2nd in one event but we're not sure. We cheered for Lowell and the announcer commented humorously on our enthused attitude! When Lowell walked over between events to talk and was standing next to Jim I noted that they have exactly the same color eyes! Jim's Mom always called it Thompson Blue and I also noted that Lowell's Dress Blue Kilt was the same color as their eyes! I'm going to try to attach pictures. They announced another competitor in Lowell's weight class named David Thompson so of course we had to introduce ourselves and tell him about Clan Thompson. We briefly compared geneology notes and it's likely we are kin as we both have a Saye married to a Thompson as a direct ascendant. Two Thompson brothers married two Saye sisters and one of the brothers was Jim's 4th greatgpa Robert Thompson married to Mary Saye. There was a good crowd Sat as well. David has e-mailed Jim since we've been home and Jim has encouraged him to join Clan Thompson. I wrote down all of the info at the Games and gave to him so maybe we'll hear from him! Jim and Katey met David's wife and little son Simon while I was gone taking Edna home about 3p as she got tired, but I hotfooted it back to the Games and met David and his family in the parking lot. David stopped and gave me a big hug, his VERY pregnant wife was carrying a zonked Simon to the car. He is an officer in the US AIrforce at Whiteman AFB at Warrensburg,Mo. Lovely people. We saw Clydesdales and Scottish Highland cattle, watched the pipers and drummers and Dancers. We even tried some "traditional" Haggis but I saw no sheep stomachs, I think I'll leave that particular gustatory treat to others with perhaps more sophisticated taste! ;D It was very well organized and clean and the weather was good. The highlight of my day was my daughter! She had a blast! And she called us on her cell phone and told us to hurry over to the Scottish Highland wrestling arena as she was wrestling! And she did! My little 5' 1/2" lass went three round with another young lady without being thrown! 2 rounds were a draw and after the first round they put a kilt of sorts on Kate as she was about to moon the crowd! The 3rd round she lost as her sweaty hands lost grip. She was a noble loser, laughing and out of breath. She got a t-shirt for competing that says (according to one of her new friend's dad who was born in Scotland and said he spoke Gaelic) "Kiss my backside" in Gaelic.! :o I wandered around the Clan village and spoke to different ones and got the opportunity to spread the word that we are our own Clan and not a Sept of McTavish and what CTS is attemting to do to legitimatize our stand. Was received well and noted there was no Clan McTavish represented there. One of the athletes in competition stated that KC was "Top quality" and some of the best run games he had competed in. I was impressed and proud of Lowell and David. We wandered around in the vendors booths but most of it was actually kind of hokey and being forewarned by our Clan Thompson family we kept our money in our pockets except to buy some T's and of course Kate got a hoody(and 3 T's). I got several complements on our T-Shirts! Way to go Mary! Katey took a Gaelic lesson, I never was able to make it to the Bard tent to hear traditional stories, darn it! Stu, I though of you while there. We're planning on going next year. I met some Weaver's there from Wisconsin and they wove the tartan and they were pretty but expensive. I'm sure I left some things out but I worked last night and I'm now tired. If my computer doesn't have a "senior moment" Mary this will go thru. Kind thoughts to ye all.  Karma

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:01 AM »
It won't post my pictures! somebody HELP! ???  Karma

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:53:01 AM »
OK that's it I'm posting on Facebook to Clan Thompson!    :D Karma

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:28:10 AM »
I may be talking to myself here but can someone PLEASE help me get these photos posted. It says my file is too big. Karma

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 07:45:13 AM »
Hi Karma -

Send them to Mary at tomaryfarm@yahoo.com   You may have to send in multiple batches. She can upload them for you.

F.M.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 08:04:31 AM »
GREAT write-up Karma! Sounds like you ALL had a great time! I'm so glad, too, that you had a chance to visit the other clan tents and let them know what we're trying to do. I'll bet Kate was surprised at all the things going on, too.

I've had people wonder what we could possibly find to DO all weekend at a games.......they can't understand that it takes that long to see/do everything!

I see that Forum Manager suggested that you send me your photos you want posted.....please do. I won't be able to get them uploaded until later today (going out shopping with a friend) but can do it then.

Mary

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
Mary, Thanks I'll start getting them uploaded asap.  Karma

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 06:52:54 PM »
Pamela, thank you for posting you and your family's Games experience.  Sounds like you had as good a time as we do!   :D  I'm so proud of Katy!  I'm always awed by all the young people who attend and enjoy the Games and thirst to know about their Scottish heritage.  It's a wonderful family thing! 

Going now to look at pictures.  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 09:18:34 AM »
Barbara, It was truly amazing. I think Kate came away with so much more a sense of her heritage and in the days and times I believe that having a strong sense of who you are and where you came from is essential. Really I guess it always has been, for one'd mental and emotional health but as we move further away, in our evolutionary journey, from our roots and sense of selves, something that should be firmly anchored in us is free floating ouot there and there are sooooo many things false one can try to anchor to in striving to give oneself that sense of permanence, of mattering, of belonging, of being. We certainly can't feel our connection to the future as it hasn't occured, but we can and should have a firm connection to our past, our heritage and anyone who does not recognize that is, I'm afraid, wandering lost. I was fortunate in that there was a lot of "southern Missouri" alive, well and functioning in my family, you know, that Scots-Irish thing. I have a strong sense of who I am and my peoples' culture. No matter where I've lived, (we moved a lot) I carried that with me, as did my mother. It has always been my compass. I hope Kate gets all that as well as what we are learning now. BUT besides that we just flat had a GOOD TIME!   Karma

Barbara

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
Karma, you are so right about young, really all people, but especially the young people to have a sense of who they are and where they came from.  I've noticed that those who know where their anchor is don't get into the trouble that the ones who are still searching for themselves and their place in life do.  I also know from experience that parents who do most everything with their kids and are in control but let their kids have a voice and a decision in family matters end up with pretty good kids.

Times are not like they use to be when I was growing up when the grandparents were the anchor and everyone gathered at their house.  That is what the Scottish Games and Gathering of the Clans is all about.  Family gatherings, where kids know who they are and where they came from.  Learning about their heritage and the way life use to be for their ancestors.  It's a good thing.   :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »
Barbara,  We speak the same language! Mary has graciously let me e-mail my pictures to her and she is working them up. I can't wait to see them and have all of you see them.  Karma.