Author Topic: Greenville, SC Scottish Games May 28-29-30  (Read 11235 times)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Greenville, SC Scottish Games May 28-29-30
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »
Greetings Thom(p)sons!

I'm going to try and visit the Greenville, SC Scottish Games Friday May 28th. It is soooo close and seems a shame not to. Will anyone else be making the trek?

I'll have the Tartan on..........look for me!

Cheers!
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Greenville, SC Scottish Games May 28-29-30
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:22:41 PM »
Hi Sherry!

Don't know of anyone else going to Greenville.....we would except that Glasgow is the following weekend!  You will just have to represent us! I think the Prince is going to be there, isn't he???  Are you going to the dinner?

Are you going to make it to Glasgow?? I know we talked briefly about it at Loch Norman. Would love to see you at the AGM...I can take a tent if you want it!

Don't forget to post about your experiences and any good pics!

Mary

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:56:16 AM »
Mary,

I did see that Prince Edward would be there!!! Saturday I think and I'll not be having dinner with the Prince. I'll be on my way back to Madison County by the time soup is being served.   I thought about just going on Friday but things don't get started til Saturday. Parade and concert only Friday night. Ah well, I'll see how my camera phone works and give a report when I get back.

Alas, I can't make it to the AGM. I'm having surgery mid month and have a bunch of loose ends to tie up prior. I won't be moving around much for a few weeks afterwards, so gotta get things done while I can. Let me know how things go.

I've just now finished reading the correspondence between the Lord Lyon and Tom. Interesting stuff! The more I learn about the Clan system the less I realize I know.

Bought a "Teach yourself Gaelic" package last week. What was I thinking!?!

Actually, it's none so bad. I'm reading a book that is sprinkled with Gaelic phrases and it makes the language more alive when I can decipher what they are saying. Having said that.........I am eons away from being able to fend for myself in conversation. So that's my project for the summer .............to at least get pronunciation down.

Gotta run, duty calls.

Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:24:21 AM »
 :'( This is me hanging my head in shame.............

I did not make it to the Greenville Games.

We had unexpected guests for the Memorial Day weekend. A pleasant suprise but one that precluded driving to Greenville, SC. The local TV station showed snippits of the games during the evening news. It looks like they had over 55 Clans represented and 18 or so pipe bands. At the Great Scot! Ceilidh on Friday night, my favorite band Albannach was playing and again on Saturday evening. I was sorely disappointed to miss them!

Next year!

Grandfather Mtn Games are coming up soon and "they'll" have to duct tape me down to keep me from attending!

I will be there.
Sherry

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »
Well....that eliminates good photies!   :D

You and my buddy, Barbara Moore. She is NUTS about Albannach! I guess I'm old before my time (she's older than me)...but I prefer Seven Nations. They will be playing at Glasgow this weekend.

Gee.....maybe you should come!   ::)  Remember, it's our AGM and you ARE a member!

We'll look forward to your report on Greenville in 2011! Sorry your plans didn't work out - hope you enjoyed your company though. We were supposed to go to the neighbors' for a cookout and all, but my back is really bad and I couldn't have handled it. Waiting for an MRI to be scheduled - X Rays inconclusive. I just LOVE getting old! :-\

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 06:02:51 AM »
AYE YI YI!

Bad back! Nothing worse than that..............hope they figure out whats wrong. As my Daddy always said, "Getting old ain't for sissies." .............Thanks Dad.

I'll have to check out Seven Nations. I'm always ready for new stuff.
We did have a fine time over the weekend. Motorcycle rides, good food, a visit to the hot springs.....in of all places..........Hot Springs, NC.

Spread good cheer at the AGM for me. I'll make it next year!

Feel better soon,
Sherry

John ThomsonHollingsworth

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
Mary and I got to see Albannach at games in Winter Spring FL several years ago when we met everone at the Thom(p)son tent.

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 11:39:09 AM »
You and my buddy, Barbara Moore. She is NUTS about Albannach! I guess I'm old before my time (she's older than me)...but I prefer Seven Nations. They will be playing at Glasgow this weekend.

I resemble that remark about me being older!   ;D 

Anybody with a touch of Scottish blood in their veins has to love Albannach.   ;D  The powerful beat of the drums summons up pictures of my ancestors celebrating a victory around a bonfire.  That's exactly what they see as they beat the drums.  Joe Kilna MacKenzie who started Clan an Drumma (Albannach was a spin off from Clan an Drumma) told me once that they could "see"their ancestors and that's where their music came from.  I had told him about getting this picture in my mind of my ancestors celebrating a war victory beating drums, playing a pipe and dancing around a bonfire every time I heard their music.  Sadly Joe died last year.  Albannach carried on the "tribal beat" and I can't get enough of them, my favorite Scottish band.  Seven Nations doesn't touch anything deep within my soul like Albannach does.

Have fun Sherry I don't know the new snare drummer but give Jacquie, Davy, Jamesie, Aya and Donnie a hug for me.  I got a kiss from Jamsie once.....eat your heart out.  ;D  LOL!

Barbara

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain