General Category > NEW MEMBERS! Introduce yourselves here!

(1/3) > >>

Jason J. Thompson:
Hello to all Thompsons. 

My name is Jason Thompson and I just joined last night.  I live in Clarkston, Michigan. 

I recently started researching the origins of "Thompson" and after 20 hours on line, I have learned a lot, clarified little, and think I need to do a DNA swab. I only have history going back 4 generations, to Nanty Glo PA.

Looking forward to learning more.

Jason

Booner:
Welcome to the family Jason!

Where is Clarkston, MI & Nanty Glo, PN?  I was born in MI (Marlette, a little town in the thumb) and my American ancestors started out in 1794 in PN.

Post as much family info as possible here and we'll try and help you out. Many of us have accounts with the various genealogy companies and will be happy to do some searching for you.

And do consider the DNA testing.  In my case It put me in touch with 4 or 5 people that i'm related with (one of which is our president, Tom Thompson) but it turned out I have more family info then they did.

Best of luck in your search and again, welcome

Booner

Jim Reed, PA Commish:
Hello Fellow Thom(p)sons

My name is Jim Reed, a new member of the Clan Thompson Society

I have been interested in my own Scottish/Thomson Heritage for over 25 years. Initially the only game in town to exchange information was as a Sept member of the Campbell’s or MacThomas’s. I belonged to the Clan Campbell Society for a few years, but felt like the red headed stepchild.  I was quite happy when the Clan MacTavish-Thom(p)son Society emerged.  I had hoped that there might be some parody for Thom(p)sons, but that seems to have gone by way of the boards and now Thom(p)sons are only recognized as a connected/sept name. I think we were used as pawn by a very small Clan to get the numerous Thom(p)son, who where disgruntled with the Campbell/MacThomas connection, to join.  I think the political in-fighting between the MacTavish and the Dunardy Heritage Society have disillusioned quite a few. I am extremely happy that the Clan Thom(p)son Society has emerged and will prove to be a source of information and exchange for us Thom(p)son.

I have documented my own roots back to 1851 in Shettleston, Lanarkshire Scotland, then  to McIntyre Twp, Lycoming Co. PA in 1871 & 1879 and finally in 1883 to Coal Glen, Washington Township, Jefferson County, PA. The migration path seems to have followed the coal mining industry.

Jason J. Thompson:
Booner,
Sorry , I meant PA as in Pennsylvania. Nanty Glo is a borough in Cambria County PA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanty_Glo,_Pennsylvania

Clarkston is a suburb of Detroit, about 40 miles north.

Jason J. Thompson:
Jim,
My PA relatives were cole miners also. 

The 4 generation line I have is:
William Thompson married Elizabeth Fitzpatrick; three children: George, Mary and Ann
George married Ellen Pierce; two boys: William and John
John married Olga Schultz; two children John and Mary Ellen
John married Barbara Eichelbarger: one son - me.  (I have two daughters - Anna and Sara)

George, Mary and Ann moved to Detroit to save their children from the coal mines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version