Author Topic: glasgow games  (Read 16390 times)

heidi

glasgow games
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »
Hi:
  After 25 minutes I hope I finally figured out how to do this. 

Last weekend the whole family went to Glasgow, Ky to the AGM and the games.  We all had a blast, which is really saying something since I have two teenagers.  We were there from 2pm Friday until 2pm Sunday.  The kids even enjoyed socializing with everyone even through most who attended the AGM were of their grandparent's generation, they both commented on how much fun everyone was. I think Mary and Nathan developed a special repore.  The kids attended the AGM even though they could not vote but they both seemed interested in the proceeding.  We had a wonderful meal and conducted our business.  It's nice to be a part of what goes on.
  After the AGM, my husband and both the kids had their kilts annointed. And my husband, Allan, is now the grand poobah.  He is having fun with it and so are the kids.  They salute him at every opportunity.
  At the games.... Nathan competed in the Athletic Games and the kilted run.  There were only 10 athletes present in the amateur division and Clan Thompson was represented.  I think thats something to be proud of.  Although Nathan was 10 years younger than the next competitor, he did not come in last in anything and this is only his second game.  He did not throw the caber because they only had one size and it weighs more than him.  There will be pictures in the next newsletter.   Nathan also ran the kilted mile.  He came in first in his age group and was 2nd overall.  He doesn't even mind wearing a kilt but he's not brave enough to wear it to school yet.  By the way he is almost 15. 
  Hannah is 13.  She competed in the Haggis toss and the Battle Axe throw.  She didn't do well in either but she will practice more for the next game.  She has been trying to play the bagpipes with little success and Tom introduced her to a mentor you gave her some much needed guidance.  She will be playing for us soon. 
  Allan got 3rd in the Bonniest knees which is amazing because he really has ugly knees.  I got a sunburn.   Oh and we all tried haggis.  Allan liked it. I decided, if that's all I had to live on, I would be thin.  We stayed on Sunday for the parade and I think the count was 18 of us who marched for the Clan.  There are many things to do and see at a games and it is nice to take a break and just sit and visit at the clan tent with the "family" in between.
  If you have never been to a games, I encourage you to go to the one closest to you.  Everyone I have met from this clan is truely family.  It is wonderful to be with them.  Two teenagers enjoyed sitting in a tent (At the games and at the AGM)  talking and laughing with (Excuse me) old people.  Think about that!  That's amazing.   That's something to be part of.  Between us my husband and I have at least 5 lines that are Scottish.  We have talked to other clans.  None are as friendly as this one, in fact, some are downright snobbish. The Thompson clan considers you family and treats you that way from the second they meet you.
  Anyone who would like to cheer Nathan on...we will definitely be at the Columbus, IN Games in Sept.  If we can make it to any others, I will post them as soon as possible. 
your cousin..by marriage
Heidi

Booner

Re: glasgow games
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
What a nice post Heidi, I'm sorry I wasn't ther to meet you and your family.

What you say about our group/clan is true; you're accepted as family the moment you join.

I hope to see more post's from you in the future, and the best of luck to your childeren in future games.

Your cousin,
 Booner

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »
Wanted to let everyone know that Barbara and I had a very enjoyable visit AGAIN with
family members of the Clan Thompson. How great it was to see people we knew and to
meet all the new ones and to you we say welcome. I don't know about the rest of you,
but the whole atmosphere of being at the games just stirs my blood and fills me with pride
knowing that I'm part of a great heritage.
Hope to see as many of you in Columbus, IN.
Will see some you Estes Park, CO.

Booner

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:11:19 PM »
Thomas B. Thompson wrote    "Will see some you Estes Park, CO."

Since I'll be Commando Kilting, maybe more than you want!

Booner

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:11:08 PM »
The Glasgow Games were great but the weather was hot as usual.  We had two tents and they were full all the time.  Many people came by looking for their name and found out they belonged with us!  Welcome all you Thompsons and post, please.

We had a great turnout and I think we came in second with the most people marching in the Parade of Tartans.  Visiting with family and friends at the tent is so special and afterwards at the camp ground eating together and visiting some more, there's just nothing like it.

I'm with Tom about my blood being stirred and filled with pride knowing I'm part of a great heritage.  The sound of the pipes have always called to my blood and to hear the massed bands playing "Scotland the Brave" sends chills all over me.

I was proud of Nathan competing in the Games under the Thompson name and winning a medal in the Kilted Mile run.  I knew Allen would win in the Bonniest Knees contest, I felt his knees before he entered and just knew.  ;D   Hannah and Nathan were a pleasure to be around, Heidi and Allen you have a wonderful family. 

Babs and Heidi looked great in their 18th century dress and I even dressed in my costume on Sunday.  I can see why the Scottish women wore so much to keep warm, Scotland is a cool country, but it was very hot in Kentucky.  :o  Wish I could get John in a kilt, but he's so stubborn.  ;D    Heidi and me

The AGM went great.  With Tom leading us we all had our say about everything and then voted.  It will all be in our newsletter.

We had a wonderful time as we always do when we get together with our family and friends at the Highland Games.  To sit back and listen to the talk and laughter reminds me of our family get togethers at my grandparents when I was young, there was always such love, fun and laughter.  That's what being a family means and I'm proud of being a part of this one.  :)
Parade of tartans - 2nd largest contingent at the games (again!)  18 marching plus tent watchers

It's a good thing we had two tents!

Mary doing finishing touches at table

Barbara
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 03:51:27 PM by Forum_mgr »
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Barbara Robertson Cash

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »
Hey gang,
This is my first time to post.  But I wanted to say what a wonderful time Fred and I had at Glasgow.  I was verra touched to see the warm, and hopefully sincere, support we are getting from the Scottish community in regards to resurrecting Clan Thompson, It will all be up to Lord Lyon eventually, so any help we can get is a gift. I am looking forward to Columbus to garner their support, as well.  Columbus has always been fun and we have a really good time.  The Pipes are a callin' to me too and we will reach our goal-just keep moving forward.  Right?
Got to get "hisself" registered- and he calls me computer illeterate, HA!

Booner

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »
Barb,

I gotta say I got a little emmotional seeing the "CLAN THOMPSON" banner in your pics!

Booner

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »
I was quite proud to be a part of "Clan Thompson" Booner.  Glad you liked the pictures.  I thought Mary did a fantastic job of designing and getting the banners made.

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Graham Thompson

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »
I agree it looks awesome
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
It was sooooooooo much fun to go to these games! The people coming in from other clans and welcoming us and wanting to know why there hadn't been a Clan Thom(p)son earlier............and finally being able to explain that we are not MacTavish - that we are lowland and they are highland and unless you were from Argyll they had no claim to you. If you were from Argyll, you were probably Campbell or MacTavish....if you were from northern England or the lowlands of Scotland - no. Thompsons who stopped by were amazed to find out that, even if their relatives lived in England now, they may have been Scottish during the 300 years where the Scotland/England border moved back and forth! And that there actually are lots of Scottish ThomPsons, partly because of it.

When we marched in the parade of tartans and so many of the other clans cheered us --- wow. What a feeling!

Our AGM was great - we have such a good time when we manage a get-together. We hashed out new bylaws at the meeting and they will be sent out to members along with the next newsletter.... Barbara got more pictures to me (our camera batteries were dead :'( ) and they'll be put up on the website soon. Lots to do after these meetings - especially if you're the secretary. I'm still trying to catch up! Nathan made sure I fixed all my typos as I took notes of the AGM on my laptop .... but I'm still sorting through the notes for publication!

For those of you who missed the games... you would have loved it. The Chief of the Games was very approachable and talked with us - even gave us some insight into some things to consider with our research.  Great time.

Mary

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 05:51:51 PM »
I guess I live in the wrong part of the world but we have games up this way too. Here's a link to games in the New England area.

http://www.standrewsri.org/highlandnewengland.html

It says there that 'himself' is to be Patron for the Western Mass games in Northampton on June 28 but I'll be in Maine and won't have the 'privilige' of seeing him.

Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
Thanks for the link Stu, someday I hope we can attend some Games in New England.  :)

Barbara