Author Topic: Hnefatafl or "King's Table"  (Read 10282 times)

Graham Thompson

Hnefatafl or "King's Table"
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
Has anyone hear or played Hnefatafl??? I read about it in one of my viking books. Its like chess but you work your way out of the center(defender) or into the center(attacker). It seems like alot of fun. But I want to know more about it. Anyone wanna help???
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Barbara

Re: Hnefatafl or "King's Table"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
Graham, check out this site:
http://www.gamecabinet.com/history/Hnef.html

I had never heard of the game but seems it's older than Chess.  This site tells about the game and how to play it.

Barbara

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Graham Thompson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:11:35 PM »
I found that page already. I didnt look at it to hard but i will soon. Ill put pictures of my board on here when I finish it. Does anyone know where to get viking looking chess pieces or cool games pieces of any kind???
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Booner

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »
I haven't looked at the game but I will soon.
Grahm, couldn't you makr small chess peices out of wargaming figures?  They're made in all sizes, from 40 mm down to 10 mm and are made for all historical periods.  "ggogle" miniature figures, wargame figures, etc and you'll find  some on line

I've painted 15 & 30 mm sized figures from the Am. civil war for chess peices.

Booner 

Graham Thompson

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:19:16 AM »
I didnt even think of that. Thanks that would work perfectly