Author Topic: CNN  (Read 12645 times)

MACTAVISH

CNN
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:53:24 AM »
IVE BEEN WATCHING OLD FOOTAGE FROM CNN TODAY. I WATCHED A REPORTER INTERVIEWING MEMBERS OF THE U.S. MARINE CORPS IN AFGHANISTAN. I HAVE TO SAY THAT I CONSIDER THE U.S MARINES AN ADEQUATE UNIT AS FAR AS UNITS OUTSIDE SCOTLAND GO (ALTHOUGH THE SEALS AND DELTA HAVE IMPROVED DRAMATICALLY SINCE THEIR TUITION WAS TAKEN ON BY THE SAS AND SBS HEADSHEDS)BUT.....I HAVE TO COMMEND ONE INTERVIEWEE AS THE 'KING OF COOL'.
HE WAS ASKED;
                     'WHAT DO YOU FEEL WHEN YOU SHOOT AN AL QUAIDA?'
                     'RECOIL'   HE ANSWERED WITH A DEADPAN EXPRESSION.
THATS A TOP ANSWER THAT MADE ME PROUD MY GUYS ARE FIGHTING ALONGSIDE YOUR GUYS!

Stirling Thompson

Re: CNN
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
Adequate???? What the hell do you mean... adequate???? As a former member of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children I can only paraphrase what the Marine commander told the Iraqis upon taking over in Anbar province... "The Marines can be your best friends... or your worst enemy!"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:53:41 AM by Stirling Thompson »
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

MACTAVISH

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »
I WORKED WITH YOUR MARINE CORPS.. I HAVE FRIENDS IN THAT UNIT. I DIDNT MEAN TO OFFEND.THE BEST REGIMENT IN THE WORLD ARE THE SAS(WHICH INCORPERATES THE OZ/NZ AND FIJI CONTINGENTS.) IF THEY WERE NOT THEY WOULD NOT BE TRAINING YOUR FORCES/SOUTH AFRICANS/RUSSIANS ETC. THE SAS ARE 70% SCOTTISH AND IM VERY PROUD OF THAT.

MACTAVISH

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:10:14 AM »
actually everyone, on reflection; my original post- i could have chosen my words a little better. my sincere apologies to all for any offence through my thoughtlessness.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 06:56:36 AM »
Hi MACTAVISH --- I don't think there was really any offense taken.....just a spirited reply!  And, yes, I know the feelings behind these statements --- remember, I'm ex-military too and have sons and nephews now serving.

So, I appreciate the fact that your troops are helping train ours where we need them........and, as required, vice versa.

A good, symbiotic relationship..........no offense to/from either side.

Mary

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:32:55 AM »
MacT, Mary is absolutely correct. There was no real offense taken. Mostly force of habit in defending the Corps from comrades in other branches of the service. You should hear some of the stuff the guys in my Nam Vets group have to say about us. My personal feeling is that anyone who puts on a uniform shows a willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice and we are lucky who are not called to make it. We must not forget those who paid the price for freedom with their blood so that we and our children might live in our own homes practicing our own values and keeping our own faith. There was a poem I read once about a Marine meeting God that ended... "Another Marine reporting sir! I've served my time in Hell." Semper Fidelis!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

MACTAVISH

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
ON A PERSONAL LEVEL, WITHOUT GOING INTO TOO MUCH DETAIL, I, AND 'THE FIRM' ARE HAVING A REALLY BAD TIME . IM CURRENTLY INVOLVED WITH AWOL SQUADDIES-BELIEVE IT OR NOT SOME 600, 99% OF THEM ENGLISH (THANK HEAVENS).
ADD THAT TO=THERE HAS ALSO BEEN A SERIOUS EXPO'SE RE MY PARENT REGIMENT; THE BLACK WATCH AND THE BAGGING OF IRAQI PRISONERS. THE FACT IS DAMNING ENOUGH BUT IS COMPOUNDED WITH A FURTHER EXPOSE THAT THE REGIMENT IS BEING TRAINED TO DO IT+THE USE OF WHITE NOISE AND BEATINGS,SOME OF YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. B Coy IN PARTICULAR ARE THE CORE OF IT AND HAVE EARNED THE NAME 'THE SAVAGES'.
 IM NOT SURE HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT YET. IHAVE ALWAYS HAD A HIGH REGARD FOR FAIR PLAY AND YET, HAVING BEEN PART OF GULF 1,HAVE SCANT REGARD FOR RAGHEADS.THEY FIGHT A DIRTY WAR YET EXPECT US TO PLAY BY THE RULES.IM AFRAID THE HEARTS AND MINDS APPROACH HAS BEEN JETTISONED BY THE  BLACK JOCKS AND THEYVE ADAPTED TO THE THREAT AS NEED BE. IEDs ARE INDISCRIMINATE AND DETESTABLE- BUT LIKE THE RAGHEADS SAY' WE ONLY HAVE TO BE LUCKY ONCE, YOU HAVE TO BE LUCKY ALL THE TIME.'

Graham Thompson

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
I had a friend who just died over seas in a fire fight. Three guys died, and all were part of th PPCLI based out of Shilo, Manitoba. My friend was 21 and we were both part of the 191 Air Cadet Squadron in Winnipeg at the old PPCLI.
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »
And thus we fully understand................war is hell.  It's not a movie with fake wounds and dying - I would think that most people have been touched by a war, and every generation. I'm sorry to hear about the investigation in the UK, MACTAVISH and that is doesn't look that positive for some of your soldiers. Again, this occurs in every war. In the US, our news 'coverage' must take much of the blame, I think. If they supported the soldier, seaman or airman and didn't undermine them continuously, I think their image of themselves and their focus on what/how they do their missions would be clearer and they might be better able to avoid the  'slippery slope'. We know that training it to NOT retaliate, but it's just not that simple.

My hopes for a compassionate outcome, MACTAVISH.