Author Topic: Highland Games on the Forum Calendar  (Read 14647 times)

Stirling Thompson

Highland Games on the Forum Calendar
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:03:15 AM »
I have posted the New England area Highland Games taking place in September and October to Forum Calendar. Seemed like a waste of resources to have the calendar and not use it. The following events were posted:

September 19 - 21, 2008, 33rd Annual New Hampshire Highland Games

October 4, 2008, 25th Annual St. Andrews Society of Connecticut Highland Games

October 12, 2008, 21st Annual Scotland, CT Games

For more details check this link. http://www.standrewsri.org/highlandnewengland.html
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
Re: Highland Games on the Forum Calendar
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »
Don't forget - there is calendar of games/festivals from the home page at  http://www.clanthompson.org/us%20games.html  too     Canadian games too.

F.M.

Graham Thompson

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »
There never anything close to Winnipeg
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:24:18 PM »
Sooooo.........START ONE! 8)

See if there are any Scottish societies around - clans (check internet) and start a small gathering. The Highland Games association would be able to help you figure out what you need and all to get started...... !  Solicit support from the businesses - you can't tell me Winnipeg doesn't have enough businesses to come up with enough money to get one started!

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »
F.M. - The calendar on the website is incomplete... at least as far as games in the Northeast/New England area goes. There was no listing for the games in MA, ME, or VT in the months of June, July, and August and only one of the CT games is October is listed. Also, it doesn't look like regular members can add items to that calendar so who's responsible for adding new events?
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »
Hi Stirling,

No, they can't add events to the one on the website.

The summer months did have events originally but there was a glitch in the calender embedding that dropped them off and F.M. wasn't responsible for that. I do the webpage and there was nothing I could do about it either. It was something Google had to finally figure out.

If you have events that aren't there and you put them on the forum calendar, drop a message here too and I'll get them on the website calendar too.

Graham - I did look at some other Canadian games but they seemed exclusively music events with/without some heavy athletics but no clan tents and all that stuff......... One was indeed in Winnipeg, but no clans.

Mary

A. Thompson

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:58:08 PM »
Any near Pittsburgh PA?  I don't know if you guys go to the one in pittsburgh area but if any others nearby would be cool.  Besides for some reason they put the Irish festival and Highland games here on same weekend.  My club hasn't been able to attend the highland games due to commitments to the Irish festival as Volunteers (5 years straight) though we have considered some year going to the Highland games instead.

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 11:06:52 AM »
Hello and welcome Aiden!

The only games I know of anywhere near Pittsburgh were the Ligonier Highland Games last weekend.  There's the Celtic Classic the weekend of 26-28 September in Bethlehem but I don't know how close that is to Pittsburgh.

F.M.

A. Thompson

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »
Yeh the Ligonier is the one that is near and falls on the weekend of Irish festival.  But just heard some of friends I ride with are thinking of going to there next year so I may be there in 2009.  Don't know if anyone else be around there.

(I can't drive, so am somewhat dependent on people who can or buses)

Jon Heller

• Lochiel Emerald Society Pipes and Drums
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »
Hi Aiden! I am near Harrisburg PA.....not terribly close to Pittsburgh but there are some small festivals around here. There's an Irish festival in Gettysburg in July, A celtic one (with some Scottish clans) in Carlisle in August, The Celtic Fling in June at the Renaissance Fair in Manheim and a Pipes and Drums festival in June in Harrisburg. They are all pretty small but a lot of fun. I will get some more info together and then submit it for the calendar.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:46:14 PM by Piper McHaggis »

A. Thompson

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 04:50:08 PM »
Not sure where all them places are lol.  Thought the only Rennisaunce fair in PA other than the pittsburgh one is near Philadelphia.  Little to far there lol.   The one near Columbas Ohio would be closer than that.

There's an Irish festival here as well, I've been a volunteer there for 3 years.  Always falls on same weekend of the Ligonier games though.  Only been in PA little over 3 years so don;t know the area to well.

Jon Heller

• Lochiel Emerald Society Pipes and Drums
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »
Yeah looks like you are about 3 hours out from me. Are you far from Dublin OH? There's a huge Irish festival there from what I understand. Some members of or pipe band head out there every year, but I have not made it (www.dublinirishfestival.org).

A. Thompson

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »
About 3 and half hours to there as well.  :(

Also admit kinda not sure how I will be taken due to something personal kinda afraid share on here as well.