Author Topic: Customs and Traditions, Myths and Legends  (Read 147936 times)

Barbara

Re: Customs and Traditions, Myths and Legends
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »
Bev and Stu, thanks for these wonderful stories.  Looking forward to more.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »
                 WHITSUNDAY: MAY

As I was a-wand’ring ae morning in spring,
       I heard a young ploughman sae sweetly to sing;
       And as he was singin’, thir words he did say,-
       There’s nae life like the ploughman’s in the month o’ sweet May.
       The lav’rock in the morning she’ll rise frae her nest,
       And mount I’ the air wi’ the dew on her breast,
       And wi’the merry ploughman she’ll whistle and sing,
       And at night she’ll return to her nest back again.
         ‘The Ploughman’s Song’  Robert Burns

Given our weather, the ancient Celts celebrated the commencement of summer
In the feast of Beltane on 1 May. Here we had another fire festival, for Beltane means ‘the fires of the god Bel’ and bonfires were lit on the tops of the largest hills and celebration of fertility lasted the night.
      At Beltane when the ilke bodie bownis
      To Peblis to the play
      To heir the singing and soundis
       The solace suth to say
The tradition was rekindled in the 1980s by the Beltane Fire Society in Edinburgh.
Since then held a boisterous festival every year on the night of 30 Apr/1 May on top Calton Hill at the bottom of Princes Street. (I warn of nudity and some uninhibited behaviour). White Warrior Women (who guard the May Queen), Blue men ( druid
Spirit guides), lusty Red Men (who spread mischief). All must pass through a gateway of fire and process round points representing the other elements before the symbolic arrival of the Green Men (heralds summer beginning). Then the party continues!!!
   Pretending to sacrificing people by jumping ov’ a fire (not usually in kilts)
“See the novel Witch Wood or cult film The Wicker Man.”

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »
    Hey,Thomas! What great info. May Day is a very magical time for almost all heritages but we Scots seem to take it up a notch! :o Sounds like a great party, would love to be there!
           Bev

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2009, 10:36:40 AM »
Blacksmith Priests

Located on the old coaching route between London and Edinburgh, Gretna Green was the first village reached once you entered Scotland. Lovers from south of the Border soon took advantage of the Scottish Law and it resulted in a thriving marriage trade being set up in Gretna Green. Marriages became a lucrative business and a variety of men set themselves up as 'priests'. One of the first was Joseph Paisley who was a fisherman and smuggler. He set up in one of the original marriage venues; the World Famous Old Blacksmith's Shop. This was a working smithy and therefore a focal point of the village.

Romantically the Anvil became the enduring symbol of Gretna Green Weddings. This is because of the many 'Blacksmith Priests' of flamboyant character who conducted ceremonies within the Blacksmith's Shop. They would declare "As hammer and anvil join metal together in the heat of the fire, I hereby join this couple together in the heat of the moment".
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2009, 10:02:18 AM »
Cripple Goat

Here is a harvest-custom which was formerly observed in Skye. The farmer who first finished reaping sent a man or woman with a sheaf to a neighbouring farmer who had not finished; the latter in his turn, when he had finished, sent on the sheaf to his neighbour who was still reaping; and so the sheaf made the round of the farms till all the corn was cut.

The sheaf was called the goabbir bhacagh, that is, the Cripple Goat. The custom appears not to be extinct at the present day, for it was reported from Skye not very many years ago. The corn-spirit was probably thus represented as lame because he had been crippled by the cutting of the corn. Sometimes the old woman who brings home the last sheaf must limp on one foot.
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2009, 05:31:51 AM »
Caddies

When Mary, later Queen of Scots, went to France as a young girl (for education and survival), Louis, King of France, learned that she loved the Scot game of golf. So he had the first golf course outside of Scotland built for her enjoyment.

To make sure that she was properly chaperoned (and guarded) while she played, Louis hired cadets from a military school to accompany her. Mary liked this, and when she returned to Scotland (not a very good idea in the long run), she took the practice with her. In French the word cadet is pronounced "ca-day" and the Scots changed it into "caddie."
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2009, 06:28:38 AM »
The Harvest Old Wife (a Cailleach)

On the remote Hebridean island of Tiree, in harvest, there was a struggle to escape from being the last done with the shearing, and when tillage in common existed, instances were known of a ridge being left unshorn (no person would claim it) because of it being behind the rest. The fear entertained was that of having the ‘famine of the farm’ (gort a bhaile), in the shape of an imaginary old woman (cailleach), to feed till next harvest.

Much emulation and amusement arose from the fear of this old woman. The first done made a doll of some blades of corn, which was called the ‘old wife,’ and sent it to his nearest neighbour. He in turn, when ready, passed it to another still less expeditious, and the person it last remained with had ‘the old woman’ to keep for that year.”
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »
Rashie Coat
(This is the Scottish version of Cinderella.)

Rashie Coat was a king’s daughter, and her father wanted her to be married; but she didna like the man. Her father said she had to tak him; and she didna ken what to do. Sae she gaed awa’ to the hen-wife to speer what she should do. And the hen-wife said: ‘Say ye winna tak him unless they gie ye a coat o’ the beaten gowd.’ Weel, they ga’e her a coat o’ the beaten gowd; but she didna want to tak him for a’ that. Sae she gaed to the hen-wife again, and the hen-wife said: ‘Say ye winna tak him unless they gie ye a coat made o’ the feathers o’ a’ the birds o’ the air.’ Sae the king sent a man wi’ a great heap o’ corn; and the man cried to a’ the birds o’ the air: ‘Ilka bird tak up a pea and put down a feather; ilka bird tak up a pea and put down a feather.’ Sae ilka bird took up a pea and put down a feather and they took a’ the feathers and made a coat o’ them, and ga’e it to Rashiecoat; but she didna want to tak him for a’ that. Weel, she gaed to the hen-wife again, and speered what she should do; and the hen-wife said: ‘Say ye winna tak him unless they gie ye a coat o’ rashes and a pair o’ slippers.’ Weel, they ga’e her a coat o’ rashes and a pair o’ slippers; but she didna want to tak him for a’ that. Sae she gaed to the hen-wife again, and the hen-wife said she couldna help her ony mair.

Weel, she left her father’s hoose, and gaed far, and far, and farer nor I can tell; and she cam to a king’s hoose, and she gaed in till’t. And they speered at her what she was seeking, and she said she was seeking service; and they ga’e her service and set her into the kitchen to wash the dishes, and tak oot the aise, and a’ that. And whan the Sabbath-day cam, they a’ gaed to the kirk, and left her at hame to cook the dinner. And there was a fairy cam to her, and telt her to put on her coat o’ the beaten gowd, and gang to the kirk. And she said she couldna gang, for she had to cook the dinner; and the fairy telt her to gang, and she would cook the dinner for her. And she said

'Aw peat gar anither peat burn,
    Ae spit gar anither spit turn,
    Ae pat gar anither pat play,
    Let Rashie-coat gang to the kirk the day.’

Sae Rashie—coat put on her coat o’ the beaten gowd, and gaed awa’ to the kirk. And the king’s son fell in love wi’ her; but she cam hame afore the kirk scaled, and he couldna find oot wha she was. And whan she cam hame she faund the dinner cookit, and naebody kent she had been oot.

Weel, the niest Sabbath-day, the fairy cam again, and telt her to put on the coat o’ feathers o’ a’ the birds o’ the air, an’ gang to the kirk, and she would cook the dinner for her. Weel, she put on the coat o’ feathers, and gaed to the kirk. And she cam oot afore it scaled; and when the king’s son saw her gaun oot, he gaed oot too; but he couldna find oot wha she was. And she got hame, and took aff the coat o’ feathers, and faund the dinner cookit, and naebody kent she had been oot.

And the niest Sabbath-day, the fairy cam till her again, and telt her to put on the coat o’ rashes and the pair o’ slippers, and gang to the kirk again. Aweel, she did it a’; and this time the king’s son sat near the door, and when he saw Rashie-coat slippin’ oot afore the kirk scaled, he slippit oot too and grippit her. And she got awa’ frae him, and ran hame; but she lost ane o’ her slippers, and he took it up. And he gared cry through a’ the country, that onybody that could get the slipper on, he would marry them. Sae a’ the leddies o’ the court tried to get the slipper on, and it wadna fit nane o’ them. And the auld hen-wife cam and fush her dochter to try and get it on, and she nippit her fit, and clippit her fit, and got it on that way. Sae the king’s son was gaun to marry her. And he was takin’ her awa’ to marry her, ridin’ on a horse, an’ her ahint him; and they cam to a wood, and there was a bird sittin on a tree, and as they gaed by, the bird said:

‘Nippit fit and clippit fit
Ahint the king’s son rides
But bonny fit and pretty fit
Ahint the caudron hides.’

And when the king’s son heard this, he flang aff the hen-wife’s dochter, and cam hame again, and lookit ahint the caudron, and there he faund Rashie-coat greetin’ for her slipper. And he tried her fit wi’ the slipper, and it gaed on fine. Sae he married her.

AND THEY LIVED HAPPY AND HAPPY,
    AND NEVER DRANK OOT O’ A DRY CAPPY.

Stu

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
Bev and Stu, Just wanted to let you know that I am still reading the stories you are posting. Love them! MORE, MORE!   :) and Thank You.  Karma

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »
Romeo and Juliet in the Marches! A sad, true tale of star-crossed lovers!

It was illegal for a cross-border marriage to take place without the Warden's permission. Archie Graham, a bonny Scottish lad, did not ask the Warden for permission to marry his sweetheart Mary Fenwick, an English girl from near Haltwhistle. With a child on the way they decided to marry and they left England to live in Scotland, near Archie’s relatives. Sometimes they managed to visit Mary’s parents by night.

Soon after the baby was born, the Warden got to hear about Archie and Mary. They were arrested and taken back to Haltwhistle where they were tried and hanged in the market place. Mary’s parents took over the upbringing of her son.

The incident took place in 1587 not long after the imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots, a Catholic, was executed by Queen Elizabeth I of England, a Protestant. Tensions in the Borders were running high.

The Story of Archie and Mary

We all know what death is around here. We've had our fair share of raiding and killing. We give as good as we get; we have to, to survive. This vast open country is harsh; it frightens me sometimes, wondering where the next raid is coming from and if my cattle will be stolen. Although my bastle is well defended and my kinsmen help when the raids come, you can never really sleep soundly in your beds at night, you're always waiting for the worst to happen.

The Border's rotten. My dad told me about battles like Flodden, about the thousands of English and Scots who slaughtered each other, while he and his kin stripped the dead on the battlefield afterwards. He told me he didn't give a damn about English and Scots, and that what matters is the name you had as a borderer. It's the same still: the people who matter most are the ones who stick by you. We get robbed from all sides, Scots from over the border sometimes but just as often by Englishmen, like the Charltons from the North Tyne, or the Robsons. You soon find out who your friends are. Nobody really keeps proper control, not the Earls, not the ones in the big castles or the Wardens who are supposed to keep order. They look after themselves. But they lay down the law, and we have to suffer for breaking their so-called rules.

Our Mary broke those rules. She was my only surviving child, but now the Wardens have hanged her. For what? Not blackmail, murder or reiving - but no. Love. What did she do? I'll tell you...

Archie Graham was a young Scot. A lad we knew well. Outstanding - especially as he had this mop of red hair. Always larking about. A frequent visitor to our village, bringing cattle along the drove road south. A strong, well-armed lad, good to have on your side in a fight. But you should have seen his face when he looked at our Mary!

Mary was a real looker; golden hair and incredibly dark eyes. I'd spend a lot of my time keeping an eye on her whenever the young lads came round. But those two managed to give me the slip, and in the end I gave up wasting my energy. Perhaps I should have kept a tighter rein on her, but there's so much work to do looking after the beasts on the upland pastures and looking after the beans and onions in the garden, that it was impossible.

Of course I was worried. She was a Fenwick and English, and he was a Scottish Graham. Not that it mattered to us round here. As I 've said, we respect the family groups more than we do the differences between English and Scots. But I did know the law and the law said that cross border marriages should not happen. The inevitable happened. My lass and Archie couldn't live without each other. When Mary realised that a bairn was on the way she told me everything. She told me that she and Archie would be married, that they would not have it any other way, and that she wanted him and the child more than anything else in the world.

What could I do? I scraped what little money I had together, and gave it to them with my blessing. It was nice to think of myself as a grandad, as all our other children had died before they were five. The two of them went off over the border to live near Archie's family. I just hoped that they would get away with it, that we were too insignificant for the Wardens to bother with, but I was wrong.Hanging of Archie

Time passed. They came to see me sometimes at night, so I kept in touch with them. They were so happy. We should have known better. The blow fell shortly after the baby was born. The warden's guards arrested them in Scotland, dragged them off to court, and accused them of getting married without the Warden's permission. They were sentenced to be hanged and me and my wife were forced to watch, there in the market place at Haltwhistle. I had to watch their bodies twitch, still suspended by the rope, long after they were dropped.

And what about the bairn? In my old age I have dreamed of a grandchild. I have made a little basket of thatched reeds. I have begun to make toys. I will look after him. He is all I have left.

Edward Fenwick of Haltwhistle, 1587(Grandfather of Mary Fenwick)
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »
From Tales From Scottish Ballads, by Elizabeth W. Grierson

THE LOCHMABEN HARPER

"Oh, heard ye of a silly harper,
      Wha lang lived in Lochmaben town,
    How he did gang to fair England,
      To steal King Henry's wanton brown?"

Once upon a time, there was an old man in Lochmaben, who made his
livelihood by going round the country playing on his harp. He was very
old, and very blind, and there was such a simple air about him, that
people were inclined to think that he had not all his wits, and they
always called him "The silly Lochmaben Harper."

Now Lochmaben is in Dumfriesshire, not very far from the English border,
and the old man sometimes took his harp and made long journeys into
England, playing at all the houses that he passed on the road.

Once when he returned from one of these journeys, he told everyone how
he had seen the English King, King Henry, who happened to be living at
that time at a castle in the north of England, and although he thought
the King a very fine-looking man indeed, he thought far more of a frisky
brown horse which his Majesty had been riding, and he had made up his
mind that some day it should be his.

All the people laughed loudly when they heard this, and looked at one
another and tapped their foreheads, and said, "Poor old man, his brain
is a little touched; he grows sillier, and sillier;" but the Harper only
smiled to himself, and went home to his cottage, where his wife was busy
making porridge for his supper.

"Wife," he said, setting down his harp in the corner of the room, "I am
going to steal the King of England's brown horse."

"Are you?" said his wife, and then she went on stirring the porridge.
She knew her husband better than the neighbours did, and she knew that
when he said a thing, he generally managed to do it.

The old man sat looking into the fire for a long time, and at last he
said, "I will need a horse with a foal, to help me: if I can find that,
I can do it."

"Tush!" said his wife, as she lifted the pan from the fire and poured
the boiling porridge carefully into two bowls; "if that is all that thou
needest, the brown horse is thine. Hast forgotten the old gray mare thou
left at home in the stable? Whilst thou wert gone, she bore a fine gray
foal."

"Ah!" said the old Harper, his eyes kindling. "Is she fond of her foal?"

"Fond of it, say you? I warrant bolts and bars would not keep her from
it. Ride thou away on the old mare, and I will keep the foal at home;
and I promise thee she will bring home the brown horse as straight as a
die, without thy aid, if thou desire it."

"Thou art a clever woman, Janet: thou thinkest of everything," said her
husband proudly, as she handed him his bowlful of porridge, and then sat
down to sup her own at the other side of the fire, chuckling to herself,
partly at her husband's words of praise, and partly at the simplicity of
the neighbours, who called him a silly old harper.

Next morning the old man went into the stable, and, taking a halter from
the wall, he hid it in his stocking; then he led out his old gray mare,
who neighed and whinnied in distress at having to leave her little foal
behind her. Indeed he had some difficulty in getting her to start, for
when he had mounted her, and turned her head along the Carlisle road,
she backed, and reared, and sidled, and made such a fuss, that quite a
crowd collected round her, crying, "Come and see the silly Harper of
Lochmaben start to bring home the King of England's brown horse."

At last the Harper got the mare to start, and he rode, and he rode,
playing on his harp all the time, until he came to the castle where the
King of England was. And, as luck would have it, who should come to the
gate, just as he arrived, but King Henry himself. Now his Majesty loved
music, and the old man really played very well, so he asked him to come
into the great hall of the castle, and let all the company hear him
play.

At this invitation the Harper jumped joyously down from his horse, as if
to make haste to go in, and then he hesitated.

"Nay, but if it please your Majesty," he said humbly, "my old nag is
footsore and weary: mayhap there is a stall in your Majesty's stable
where she might rest the night."

Now the King loved all animals, and it pleased him that the old man
should be so mindful of his beast; and seeing one of the stablemen in
the distance, he turned his head and cried carelessly, "Here, sirrah!
Take this old man's nag, and put it in a stall in the stable where my
own brown horse stands, and see to it that it has a good supper of oats
and a comfortable litter of hay."

Then he led the Harper into the hall where all his nobles were, and I
need not tell you that the old man played his very best. He struck up
such a merry tune that before long everybody began to dance, and the
very servants came creeping to the door to listen. The cooks left their
pans, and the chambermaids their dusters, the butlers their pantries;
and, best of all, the stablemen came from the stables without
remembering to lock the doors.

After a time, when they had all grown weary of dancing, the clever old
man began to play such soft, soothing, quiet music, that everyone began
to nod, and at last fell fast asleep.

He played on for a time, till he was certain that no one was left awake,
then he laid down his harp, and slipped off his shoes, and stole
silently down the broad staircase, smiling to himself as he did so.

With noiseless footsteps he crept to the stable door, which, as he
expected, he found unlocked, and entered, and for one moment he stood
looking about him in wonder, for it was the most splendid stable he had
ever seen, with thirty horses standing side by side, in one long row.
They were all beautiful horses, but the finest of all, was King Henry's
favourite brown horse, which he always rode himself.

The old Harper knew it at once, and, quick as thought, he loosed it,
and, drawing the halter which he had brought with him out of his
stocking, he slipped it over its head.

Then he loosed his own old gray mare, and tied the end of the halter to
her tail, so that, wherever she went, the brown horse was bound to
follow. He chuckled to himself as he led the two animals out of the
stable and across the courtyard, to the great wrought-iron gate, and
when he had opened this, he let the gray mare go, giving her a good
smack on the ribs as he did so. And the old gray mare, remembering her
little foal shut up in the stable at home, took off at the gallop,
straight across country, over hedges, and ditches, and walls, and
fences, pulling the King's brown horse after her at such a rate that he
had never even a chance to bite her tail, as he had thought of doing at
first, when he was angry at being tied to it.

Although the mare was old, she was very fleet of foot, and before the
day broke she was standing with her companion before her master's
cottage at Lochmaben. Her stable door was locked, so she began to neigh
with all her might, and at last the noise awoke the Harper's wife.

Now the old couple had a little servant girl who slept in the attic, and
the old woman called to her sharply, "Get up at once, thou lazy wench!
dost thou not hear thy master and his mare at the door?"

The girl did as she was bid, and, dressing herself hastily, went to the
door and looked through the keyhole to see if it were really her master.
She saw no one there save the gray mare and a strange brown horse.

"Oh mistress, mistress, get up," she cried in astonishment, running into
the kitchen. "What do you think has happened? The gray mare has gotten a
brown foal."

"Hold thy clavers!" retorted the old woman; "methinks thou art blinded
by the moonlight, if thou knowest not the difference between a
full-grown horse and a two-months'-old foal. Go and look out again and
bring me word if 'tis not a brown horse which the mare has brought with
her."

The girl ran to the door, and presently came back to say that she had
been mistaken, and that it was a brown horse, and that all the
neighbours were peeping out of their windows to see what the noise was
about.

The old woman laughed as she rose and dressed herself, and went out with
the girl to help her to tie up the two horses.

"'Tis the silly old Harper of Lochmaben they call him," she said to
herself, "but I wonder how many of them would have had the wit to gain a
new horse so easily?"

Meanwhile at the English castle the Harper had stolen silently back to
the hall after he had let the horses loose, and, taking up his harp
again, he harped softly until the morning broke, and the sleeping men
round him began to awake.

The King and his nobles called loudly for breakfast, and the servants
crept hastily away, afraid lest it might come to be known that they had
left their work the evening before to listen to the stranger's music.

The cooks went back to their pans, and the chambermaids to their
dusters, and the stablemen and grooms trooped out of doors to look after
the horses; but presently they all came rushing back again,
helter-skelter, with pale faces, for the stable door had been left open,
and the King's favourite brown horse had been stolen, as well as the
Harper's old gray mare. For a long time no one dare tell the King, but
at last the head stableman ventured upstairs and broke the news to the
Master-of-the-Horse, and the Master-of-the-Horse told the Lord
Chamberlain, and the Lord Chamberlain told the King.

At first his Majesty was very angry, and threatened to dismiss all the
grooms, but his attention was soon diverted by the cunning old Harper,
who threw down his harp, and pretended to be in great distress.

"I am ruined, I am ruined!" he exclaimed, "for I lost the gray mare's
foal just before I left Scotland, and I looked to the price of it for
the rent, and now the old gray mare herself is gone, and how am I to
travel about and earn my daily bread without her?"

Now the King was very kind-hearted, and he was sorry for the poor old
man, for he believed every word of his story, so he clapped him on the
back, and bade him play some more of his wonderful music, and promised
to make up to him for his losses.

Then the wicked old Harper rejoiced, for he knew that his trick had
succeeded, and he picked up his harp again, and played so beautifully
that the King forgot all about the loss of his favourite horse.

All that day the Harper played to him, and on the morrow, when he would
set out for home, in spite of all his entreaties that he would stay
longer, he made his treasurer give him three times the value of his old
gray mare, in solid gold, because he said that, if his servants had
locked the stable door, the mare would not have been stolen, and,
besides that, he gave him the price of the foal, which the wicked old
man had said that he had lost. "For," said the King, "'tis a pity that
such a marvellous harper should lack the money to pay his rent."

Then the cunning old Harper went home in triumph to Lochmaben, and the
good King never knew till the end of his life how terribly he had been
cheated.
Stu

Moira

« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2009, 01:19:45 PM »
Stu and Bev -

It's so good to see the stories flowing again!!  I missed them there for awhile............

I feel so bad for Archie and Mary!!!  Why would anyone have CARED if you married 'cross the border'???  And a HANGING offense???  Yipes.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2009, 07:23:03 AM »
Mythology and Folklore of the Rowan

The rowan's mythic roots go back to classical times. Greek mythology tells of how Hebe the goddess of youth, dispensed rejuvenating ambrosia to the gods from her magical chalice. When, through carelessness, she lost this cup to demons, the gods sent an eagle to recover the cup. The feathers and drops of blood which the eagle shed in the ensuing fight with the demons fell to earth, where each of them turned into a rowan tree. Hence the rowan derived the shape of its leaves from the eagle's feathers and the appearance of its berries from the droplets of blood.

The rowan is also prominent in Norse mythology as the tree from which the first woman was made, (the first man being made from the ash tree). It was said to have saved the life of the god Thor by bending over a fast flowing river in the Underworld in which Thor was being swept away, and helping him back to the shore. Rowan was furthermore the prescribed wood on which runes were inscribed to make rune staves.

In the British Isles the rowan has a long and still popular history in folklore as a tree which protects against witchcraft and enchantment. The physical characteristics of the tree may have contributed to its protective reputation, including the tiny five pointed star or pentagram on each berry opposite its stalk (the pentagram being an ancient protective symbol). The colour red was deemed to be the best protection against enchantment, and so the rowan's vibrant display of berries in autumn may have further contributed to its protective abilities, as suggested in the old rhyme: "Rowan tree and red thread / make the witches tine (meaning 'to lose') their speed". The rowan was also denoted as a tree of the Goddess or a Faerie tree by virtue (like the hawthorn and elder) of its white flowers.

There are several recurring themes of protection offered by the rowan. The tree itself was said to afford protection to the dwelling by which it grew, pieces of the tree were carried by people for personal protection from witchcraft, and sprigs or pieces of rowan were used to protect especially cows and their dairy produce from enchantment. Thus we find documented instances as late as the latter half of the twentieth century of people being warned against removing or damaging the rowan tree growing in their newly acquired garden in the Scottish Highlands and Ireland. On the Isle of Man crosses made from rowan twigs without the use of a knife were worn by people and fastened to cattle, or hung inside over the lintel on May Eve each year. From Scotland to Cornwall similar equal-armed crosses made from rowan twigs and bound with red thread were sewn into the lining of coats or carried in pockets. Other permutations of the use of rowan's protective abilities are many and widespread. In Scandinavia, rowan trees found growing not in the ground but out of some inaccessible cleft in a rock, or out of crevasses in other trees' trunks or boughs, possessed an even more powerful magic, and such trees were known as 'flying rowan'.

Rowan has had a wide range of popular folk names, the most well-know being mountain ash. Its old Gaelic name from the ancient Ogham script was Luis from which the place name Ardlui on Loch Lomond may have been derived. The more common Scots Gaelic name is caorunn (pronounced choroon, the ch as in loch), which crops up in numerous Highland place names such as Beinn Chaorunn in Inverness-shire and Loch a'chaorun in Easter Ross. Rowan was also the clan badge of the Malcolms and McLachlans. There were strong taboos in the Highlands against the use of any parts of the tree save the berries, except for ritual purposes. For example a Gaelic threshing tool made of rowan and called a buaitean was used on grain meant for rituals and celebrations. The strength of these taboos did not apply in other parts of Britain it seems, though there were sometimes rituals and timings to be observed in harvesting the rowan's gifts (for example the rule against using knives to cut the wood, mentioned above).

The rowan's wood is strong and resillient, making excellent walking sticks, and is suitable for carving. It was often used for tool handles, and spindles and spinning wheels were traditionally made of rowan wood. Druids used the bark and berries to dye the garments worn during lunar ceremonies black, and the bark was also used in the tanning process. Rowan twigs were used for divining, particularly for metals.

The berries can be made into or added to a variety of alcoholic drinks, and different Celtic peoples each seem to have had their favourites. As well as the popular wine still made in the Highlands, the Scots made a strong spirit from the berries, the Welsh brewed an ale, the Irish used them to flavour Mead, and even a cider can be made from them. Today rowan berry jelly is still made in Scotland and is traditionally eaten with game.

Paul Kendall
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2009, 09:40:44 AM »
I personally find the mythology and folklore of trees quite fascinating...

Mythology and Folklore of the Birch

When the huge glaciers of the last ice age receded, birch trees would have been one of the first to re-colonise the rocky, ice-scoured landscape. Hence, in botanical terms the birch is referred to as a pioneer species. Similarly in early Celtic mythology, the birch came to symbolise renewal and purification. Beithe, the Celtic birch, is the first tree of the Ogham, the Celtic tree alphabet. It was celebrated during the festival of Samhain (what is now Halloween in Britain), the start of the Celtic year, when purification was also important. Bundles of birch twigs were used to drive out the spirits of the old year. Later this would evolve into the 'beating the bounds' ceremonies in local parishes. Gardeners still use the birch besom, or broom, to 'purify' their gardens. Besoms were also of course the archetypal witches' broomsticks, used in their shamanic flights, perhaps after the use of extracts of the fly agaric mushrooms commonly found in birchwoods.

Interestingly, the birch also has strong fertility connections with the celebrations of Beltane, the second, summer, half of the Celtic year (nowadays celebrated as May Day). Beltane fires in Scotland were ritually made of birch and oak, and a birch tree was often used as a, sometimes living, maypole. As birch is one of the first trees to come into leaf it would be an obvious choice as representation of the emergence of spring. Deities associated with birch are mostly love and fertility goddesses, such as the northern European Frigga and Freya. Eostre (from whom we derive the word Easter), the Anglo Saxon goddess of spring was celebrated around and through the birch tree between the spring equinox and Beltane. According to the medieval herbalist Culpepper, the birch is ruled over by Venus - both the planet and the goddess. According to Scottish Highland folklore, a barren cow herded with a birch stick would become fertile, or a pregnant cow bear a healthy calf.

The word birch is thought to have derived from the Sanskrit word bhurga meaning a 'tree whose bark is used to write upon'. When the poet S.T. Coleridge called it the 'Lady of the Woods', he was possibly drawing on an existing folk term for the tree. Birch figures in many anglicised place names, such as Birkenhead, Birkhall and Berkhamstead, and appears most commonly in northern England and Scotland. Beithe (pronounced 'bey'), the Gaelic word for birch, is widespread in Highland place names such as Glen an Beithe in Argyll, Loch a Bhealaich Bheithe in Inverness-shire and Beith in Sutherland. The adjective 'silver' connected with birch seems to be a relatively recent invention, apparently making its first appearance in a poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson.

The uses of birch are many and varied. The wood is tough, heavy and straightgrained, making it suitable for handles and toys and good for turning. It was used to make hardwearing bobbins, spools and reels for the Lancashire cotton industry. Traditionally, babies' cradles were made of birch wood, drawing on the earlier symbolism of new beginnings. In 1842, J.C. Loudon, in his Encyclopedia of Trees and Shrubs wrote that, "The Highlanders of Scotland make everything of it;" and proceeded to list all manner of household and agricultural implements as well as its use as a general building material. Though the wood lends itself well enough to many of these uses, the availability of the wood in the Highlands must also have played a part in its use. Loudon furthermore mentions that " … the branches are employed as fuel in the distillation of whiskey, the spray is used for smoking hams and herrings, for which last purpose it is preferred to every other kind of wood. The bark is used for tanning leather, and sometimes, when dried and twisted into a rope, instead of candles. The spray is used for thatching houses; and, dried in summer, with the leaves on, makes a good bed when heath is scarce." The sap can be tapped as it rises in spring and fermented to make birch wine, a process still practiced in the Highlands today. Of old, the Druids made the sap into a cordial to celebrate the spring equinox.

Folklore and herbalism credit different parts of the birch with a variety of medicinal properties. The leaves are diuretic and antiseptic, and an effective remedy for cystitis and other urinary tract infections. They were also used to dissolve kidney stones and relieve rheumatism and gout. The sap (as wine or cordial) similarly prevents kidney and bladder stones, treats rheumatism, and can be used to treat skin complaints. The bark is said to ease muscle pain if applied externally.

"Beneath you birch with silver bark
And boughs so pendulous and fair,
The brook falls scattered down the rock:
and all is mossy there."
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Paul Kendall
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2009, 08:49:03 AM »
Daoine Shie

DAOINE SHIE, OR THE MEN OF PEACE.

They are, though not absolutely malevolent, believed to be a peevish,
repining, and envious race, who enjoy, in the subterranean recesses, a
kind of shadowy splendour. The Highlanders are at all times unwilling to
speak of them, but especially on Friday, when their influence is supposed
to be particularly extensive. As they are supposed to be invisibly
present, they are at all times to be spoken of with respect. The fairies
of Scotland are represented as a diminutive race of beings, of a mixed or
rather dubious nature, capricious in their dispositions, and mischievous
in their resentment. They inhabit the interior of green hills, chiefly
those of a conical form, in Gaelic termed _Sighan_, on which they lead
their dances by moonlight, impressing upon the surface the marks of
circles, which sometimes appear yellow and blasted, sometimes of a deep
green hue, and within which it is dangerous to sleep, or to be found
after sunset. The removal of those large portions of turf, which
thunderbolts sometimes scoop out of the ground with singular regularity,
is also ascribed to their agency. Cattle which are suddenly seized with
the cramp, or some similar disorder, are said to be elf-shot, and the
approved cure is to chafe the parts affected with a blue bonnet, which,
it may be readily believed, often restores the circulation. The
triangular flints frequently found in Scotland, with which the ancient
inhabitants probably barbed their shafts, are supposed to be the weapons
of fairy resentment, and are termed elf arrowheads. The rude brazen
battle-axes of the ancients, commonly called "celts," are also ascribed
to their manufacture. But, like the Gothic duergar, their skill is not
confined to the fabrication of arms; for they are heard sedulously
hammering in linns, precipices, and rocky or cavernous situations, where,
like the dwarfs of the mines mentioned by George Agricola, they busy
themselves in imitating the actions and the various employments of men.
The Brook of Beaumont, for example, which passes in its course by
numerous linns and caverns, is notorious for being haunted by the
fairies; and the perforated and rounded stones which are formed by
trituration in its channels are termed by the vulgar fairy cups and
dishes. A beautiful reason is assigned by Fletcher for the fays
frequenting streams and fountains. He tells us of

"A virtuous well, about whose flowery banks
The nimble-footed fairies dance their rounds
By the pale moonshine, dipping oftentimes
Their stolen children, so to make them free
From dying flesh and dull mortality."

It is sometimes accounted unlucky to pass such places without performing
some ceremony to avert the displeasure of the elves. There is upon the
top of Minchmuir, a mountain in Peeblesshire, a spring called the Cheese
Well, because, anciently, those who passed that way were wont to throw
into it a piece of cheese as an offering to the fairies, to whom it was
consecrated.

Like the _feld elfen_ of the Saxons, the usual dress of the fairies is
green; though, on the moors, they have been sometimes observed in heath-
brown, or in weeds dyed with the stone-raw or lichen. They often ride in
invisible procession, when their presence is discovered by the shrill
ringing of their bridles. On these occasions they sometimes borrow
mortal steeds, and when such are found at morning, panting and fatigued
in their stalls, with their manes and tails dishevelled and entangled,
the grooms, I presume, often find this a convenient excuse for their
situation, as the common belief of the elves quaffing the choicest
liquors in the cellars of the rich might occasionally cloak the
delinquencies of an unfaithful butler.

The fairies, besides their equestrian processions, are addicted, it would
seem, to the pleasures of the chase. A young sailor, travelling by night
from Douglas, in the Isle of Man, to visit his sister residing in Kirk
Merlugh, heard a noise of horses, the holloa of a huntsman, and the sound
of a horn. Immediately afterwards, thirteen horsemen, dressed in green,
and gallantly mounted, swept past him. Jack was so much delighted with
the sport that he followed them, and enjoyed the sound of the horn for
some miles, and it was not till he arrived at his sister's house that he
learned the danger which he had incurred. I must not omit to mention
that these little personages are expert jockeys, and scorn to ride the
little Manx ponies, though apparently well suited to their size. The
exercise, therefore, falls heavily upon the English and Irish horses
brought into the Isle of Man. Mr. Waldron was assured by a gentleman of
Ballafletcher that he had lost three or four capital hunters by these
nocturnal excursions. From the same author we learn that the fairies
sometimes take more legitimate modes of procuring horses. A person of
the utmost integrity informed him that, having occasion to sell a horse,
he was accosted among the mountains by a little gentleman plainly
dressed, who priced his horse, cheapened him, and, after some chaffering,
finally purchased him. No sooner had the buyer mounted and paid the
price than he sank through the earth, horse and man, to the astonishment
and terror of the seller, who, experienced, however, no inconvenience
from dealing with so extraordinary a purchaser.
Stu