Author Topic: Coat of Arms  (Read 46890 times)

Jon Heller

• Lochiel Emerald Society Pipes and Drums
Coat of Arms
« on: September 22, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »
I apologize if this info is in an another post somewhere on this forum. If it is please redirect me!!

Does anyone have any more info on the Coat of Arms on the site (http://clanthompson.org/arms1.html)? I would love to know more about their history and what all the symbols mean. Why are there so many? When I look on the web for Thompson coat of arms, I always see this one: http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c/qx/thomson-coat-arms.htm.

What's the difference between the Crest Badge and the Coat of Arms?

Thanks -- and sorry for the beginner questions!! :)
Jon

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Re: Coat of Arms
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »
That's an interesting question McHaggis, and I'd like to know more about it too. Tom gave me some information in Estes Park, but our time was limited and I never got a really good answer to this one.

I noticed the site you referred to also included a suggested book on Thomson Family History by Kathryn Blevins. Anybody know anything about this book and whether it's any good?

The Reivers Ride Again!

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:39:21 PM »
Hello Piper
   Space will not allow a complete discussion of all the heraldic devices and their meaning. Besides I am not an expert and what little I have learned came about only after the need to restore Clan Thomson.
   The coat of arms belong to the individual, think of it as being a social security number, one per customer.  In Scotland Lyon awards a description of the armiger's achievement (blazon). A heraldic artist paints a picture of what the blazon says,but the blazon is determinant. There is no such thing as a family coat of arms
   A cap badge with a belt and buckle means the wearer belongs to the chief who has the plant badge.  An armiger is entilted to have a single feather on his badge. A chief has Three feathers and a chieften has two feathers. Badges are not armoral. A stand alone badge of no decidedly heraldic charactor i.e. not in the form of an escutcheon or on a wreath, w/o strap and buckle, is available to anyone. An armiger usually has a silver badge inside a circle.
   Mary with the assistance of several members designed the Clan Thomson Society badge that we use on our letterheads etc. The red stage on white background is a common thread found on the majority of Thoms arms. I hope an expert will correct my errors in the above post.
Tom

Jon Heller

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:00:28 AM »
Thanks for that info!! That's really interesting that there is no family coat of arms. You'd never guess when you do some searches on line. Everyone is selling products with family coat of arms. :) Any idea where the red stag originated? It will be nice to see that on an official badge some day!!! I have several items with the "Thomson" badge that I suppose is actually Campbell (the boar; "Ne Obliviscaris").

Are there any good books or resources online you know of that go in to more detail on this topic?

Jon

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
Here is the coat of arms Jon mentioned.

Is there any historical significance to this at all? Did a Thompson armiger once hold these arms? Or is it in any way representative of our family?

The Reivers Ride Again!

A. Thompson

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:21:42 PM »
Is there a difference between a sheild and coat of arms?   As far as shield always seemed to find locally one with 3 stars and sometimes a clover at bottom/center but no stag

Graham Thompson

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:28:59 PM »
I believe that a coat of arms was carried into battle to signify who you belonged to. I dont no if thats true, I kinda pulled that off of a card from a card game i play. heres the link http://www.anycraze.com/showcard_full.asp?id=EXAR131&pp=magic_search
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 05:41:10 AM »
The shield is the primary portion of the coat of arms, the shield shaped central part, while the complete coat of arms includes the shield, helm, crest and supporters (if any). The coat of arms shown below is from the Workman's Manuscript (1587 ?) but does not appear in the official register. These arms have been identified as belonging to Henry Thomson, Lord Lyon (1498-1512) and has been used by subsequent Lords Lyon as a basis for issuing other Thomson arms as cadet branches. You can check out most of the Thomson arms on the Clan website.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

A. Thompson

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:57:44 AM »
Ok.  looked up the coat of arms that had seen locally.  Apparently that one was created in England.  So the scottish ones the ones with Stags I guess.

Booner

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »
for a good starting point on the study of arms, try this website-->http://www.armorial-register.com

rgds
Booner

Booner

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »
this might be a better site for a general discussion --> http://www.baronage.co.uk/splashindex.html

Regards,
Booner

Jon Heller

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
I haven't had much time to dig in to this topic like I wanted, but I recently stumbled across this site which list general meanings of symbols on Coat of Arms:
http://www.fleurdelis.com/meanings.htm

If I am reading it right the stag would mean someone who prefers peace but will fight when provoked and the color red indicates a warrior/martyr/military strength. Interesting.....

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »
Good discussion!

On the http://www.fleurdelis.com/meanings.htm site, you can check out what the other parts of the designs (arms) mean, too. 

There is a greater variety among the English coats of arms.....somewhat less of a theme. One of the predominant ones is magpies.  Remember - there are also Irish and Welsh arms (to further confuse the issue)!

The sellers of "family" coats of arms are doing a dis-service to all of us. Not only are they misrepresenting their goods, they are confusing the layman and, basically, bilking them out of money under false pretenses. You see these vendors at most of the larger games. I know none of our group will buy them because YOU are all so well informed  :) ARMS BELONG TO A PERSON ---- NOT a family. So, don't fall for the "family" coat of arms spiel.

If you can trace your Thom(p)son line back to the UK, Scotland or Ireland or to a British colony in the US prior to 1821 you can provide your genealogy in the approved manner to the Lyon Court to request that "arms might be granted for and in memory of" your ancestor. It isn't cheap and you have to have done your genealogy homework.....but you can get arms granted to your ancestor and you, as the legal and direct descendant, 'inherit' them. Your brothers/sons can also then apply and be granted arms based on the 'ancestor's' with appropriate variations. Ya want arms????
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:59:32 AM by Thomas Thompson »

Jon Heller

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »
My mom recently found mugs that say "Clan Thomson" at the top, have a stag head on the badge and the motto "Truth Will Prevail". Anyone know if these are official? Or maybe someone is just trying to sell a new product? :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »
Hi Jon -

Well, "truth will prevail" is one of the most common mottoes associated with Thom(p)son.  The tartan is, obviously, the Dress Blue.  HOWEVER, since Thomson is not a currently recognized clan and has no chief, it is not appropriate to have a belted clansman's crest on an item as IF it was a clan. That's why our logo is not a belted crest but a simple circle with some of the items usually associated with Thomson of that Ilk and most of the Thomsons who have matriculated since. When (and if) we eventually get the society recognized as representative of Thoms worldwide, and get a grant of arms for the society, we will have a LEGAL clan crest.....but the one in your picture is not.

Would there be any interest in items with the society logo on them?  We just had 3" buttons made and a bumper sticker that has the logo and says "RESTORE CLAN THOMPSON" and our web address on them. We were hoping to be able to sell them at games to any Thom(p)sons who might be interested. We don't have a large, available bank roll and we hope to make a bit selling these.  We can have mugs made with the logo, or hats, steins, stamps (postage), notepads, etc.

What'cha think?

Mary