Author Topic: Coat of Arms  (Read 46790 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Re: Coat of Arms
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
Thomson is not a currently recognized clan and has no chief, it is not appropriate to have a belted clansman's crest on an item as IF it was a clan. That's why our logo is not a belted crest

You know, I was wondering about that Mary. I know the belt is not appropriate, but isn't the circle used by the chieftain for his arms? And if we do get approved as a society and granted arms, would the members use the belt, or would the circle apply corporately to all of us as members, since we don't have a chieftain?

And yes, I for one would be interested in clan crest items. I like your red stag head with the red circle and "Clan Thompson Society" in it. Since we seem to have so much trouble agreeing on a motto, I'm not sure whether anything else would be appropriate until we get word back from the Lord Lyon.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »
Hi Michael -

I may be wrong about this, but I believe the "society" would be granted the arms (in lieu of a chief) and we would be (ergo) clan members who would use the belted crest. That's how I THINK it would work. To my way of thinking, that would be logical.  It seems to me that all the clans I know of who don't have chiefs (and, therefore, have a society or organization) use a belted crest.

Scott --- do you know for sure how this would work? 

Donna

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 12:16:19 AM »
Hey Mary,

Are the Buttons and Bumper Stickers available for Clan members to purchase?

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
Hi Donna -

They will be!  I'm getting the logos onto items online so they can be purchased directly from the company who makes the 'blank' items. The way it will work (I think!) is that I will do the design onto items and then you will be able to go there and buy whatever you like. You are going to have to pay shipping whether you buy from us or directly through the online company...so no difference there. They set their price (same price I paid for items to take to the games for sale) and then we set a small profit margin on top of that (which we will do at the games too) and that profit is deposited directly to the Clan Thompson bank account through PayPal when an item is purchased online.

Give me a few days to get it done and I'll let you know when it's ready to go!

Mary

Jon Heller

• Lochiel Emerald Society Pipes and Drums
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 05:48:50 AM »
Thanks for the info -- I figured it wasn't "official" but thought it was very interesting. Someone saw a market for thomson clan items! HA! I like the red stag you you developed much better and would definitely buy some items with it on there. I think selling the buttons and bumper stickers and possibly more like you mentioned is a great idea to raise additional funds. My pipe band has done really well selling t-shirts, patches and stickers at those events. We get some income AND advertising as people wear the shirts and put stickers on their cars etc. I'll take a mug and and a stein! :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:32:11 AM by Jon Heller »

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 10:09:13 AM »
I'll take a mug and and a stein!

And I'll hold you to it!  ;)

Jon Heller

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »
Better add a flask to that order .... coffee, beer, and whisky. That should cover it :)

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 07:08:57 AM »
Mary, we want some of whatever! T-shirts would be great and I know Katey would wear hers proudly to school! Let us know! Any chance of getting them before we go to the Game sin K.C. June 13?. Karma

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »
Hi Karma -

Sent an email out to Society members with info!

Mary

Donna

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 12:00:58 PM »
Hey Y'all

If you haven't already done so, please take time to check out Zazzle.com
( Thanks Mary   :-*  )
I just ordered a Clan Thompson Society tee shirt for my daughter in law, which will make her very happy and I'm very happy that a wee bit of the cost will be going back to Clan Thompson Society!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Graham Thompson

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »
So the coat of arms earlyer in this post is that our offical one? If not i would like to creat one
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »
No Graham, it's NOT a Coat of Arms.  It's a logo for the Clan Thompson Society. We may achieve arms in the future which would then be the society's Coat of Arms and we could use it as the basis for clan members' crests.  But the current image of the stag, 2 stars, and the circle is the SOCIETY LOGO. We are free to put that on any items we wish because it is NOT a coat of arms. Arms must be granted by Lyon Court and that's still years away.  :'(

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »
Which brings up something that many of us know by heart, but others may not be aware of, namely that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN OFFICIAL THOMPSON COAT OF ARMS. Arms are granted to an individual. Apparently, there is some possibility that our society may be granted arms, but currently, there is no chieftan for Clan Thompson, so we cannot possibly have arms at this point. That means that anybody advertising a Coat of Arms for Thompson on the web or at games or a festival is either ignorant or lying.

Even family crests are suspect, as they might be appropriate to a particular family of Thompsons, but certainly not applicable to all Thompsons everywhere.

I never knew a lot of this before I joined this forum and I've been grateful for what I've found here, so I try to pass it on. I hope I did so accurately.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Jon Heller

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
Haven't been on for a while and just noticed the Zazzle.com post. Sweet! Do you just upload an image and they print shirts as needed?

Ordering a t-shirt now - Thanks for doing that!

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »
Jon, We've got ours and they are AWESOME! Jim and I opted for the regular white T's but Kate chose a black fitted T. She looks amazing in it, we'll use her as a billboard! ;D Karma