Author Topic: A clan kilt  (Read 58054 times)

Graham Thompson

Re: A clan kilt
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 07:50:55 PM »
Is there a way to post the Thomp(s)on kilt colors on here. I cant remember if it was Mary or someone else that sent me an email with all 6 tarten colors in it
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »
Hi Graham,

Just do a google image search for Thompson Tartan and Thomson Tartan and you will find many pictures, some better than others...
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 08:38:14 AM »
Check under the clan webpage  HISTORY links for TARTANS.

Mary

A. Thompson

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 09:25:44 AM »
Do you have a webstore Mary?

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Graham Thompson

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »
Thanks
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 07:53:51 PM »
While we're on the subject Mary, I do have a question. When I was measured for my Thompson kilt, the fellow asked if I wanted the "traditional" measurement, or to be measured where my pants ride. Wanting to be as traditional as possible, I chose that one, but I sometimes regret it now. The reason is, I have more belly than I really need, and since the traditional measurement puts the belt at the belly button, my kilt should be worn quite a bit higher than I usually wear my pants. I find that quite uncomfortable and the kilt tends to ride down to my actual waist, rather than the middle of the belly waist defined by traditional kilties.

Is the lower waistline considered gauche or uncouth at all? I have seen large bellied men with their kilts up in the proper place, but I just find it very incomfortable and hard to breathe with the belt around my middle, rather than just over my hips. Just wondered.

OK - I did contact Bob at Gaelic Themes in Scotland and here is his answer to the "waist" of a kilt:

"Hi Mary,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I’m not familiar with the kilting habits in North America but I do know that casual, leisure and utility kilts are more prevalent over your side of the pond and these are often worn much lower. Wearing your kilt at your pants waist is not generally accepted in Scotland, but North America may be somewhat different.

I would say it is akin to many fashions. Wearing the kilt at your pants waist at a formal event is certainly not the done thing. Moreover the jackets for such occasions are cut based on the assumption the kilt is being worn at navel height, so it would look somewhat odd to wear the kilt lower.

Worn casually there is more leeway with the wearing of the kilt (as with any causal wear) but I would say where possible, wear the kilt at navel height (some larger gents even wear braces etc), as you will avoid the “traditionalist” passing comment that the kilt is not being worn correctly. It may be that the gentleman could do with having a slight adjustment here and there as even larger gents should find the fit relatively comfortable at navel height

Bob"

So, there it is from the proverbial 'horse's mouth.'  This guy KNOWS kilts - trust me! I don't know if this helps any, but maybe you could play around with the buckles on yours and see if you need to have them moved (this can be done fairly easily) to put the 'pull' where it should be. One of the bigger problems with kilt-fitting are the guys with no butt (like my husband) and they end up with suspenders (braces) or having to really cinch the thing just to hold it on! I prefer the suspenders.

Mary

MACTAVISH

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »
HI GANG; JUST BACK FROM YOUR ROOTS..AYRSHIRE/DUMFRIES AND EDINBURGH. QUITE A LOT OF THOM ANCESTRY IN = ANNAN/CASTLE DOUGLAS/ AND A WEE PLACE CALLED TORTHORWOLD.
RE KILT WEARING WITH A PAUCH OR LACK OF SEAT. HAVE YOU GUYS CONSIDERED WEARING THE PHILAMHOR RATHER THAN PHILABEAG?IT WOULD MATTER NOT WHERE YOU PUT YOUR BELT OR IF YOU LACKED A BUTT.......

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 05:06:50 PM »
RE KILT WEARING WITH A PAUNCH OR LACK OF SEAT. HAVE YOU GUYS CONSIDERED WEARING THE PHILAMHOR RATHER THAN PHILABEAG?IT WOULD MATTER NOT WHERE YOU PUT YOUR BELT OR IF YOU LACKED A BUTT.......

That may be a good idea MacT. I did have a Philamhor once, but it was just plaid flannel from the local store. Have to find an affordable source of Thompson tartan that's wide enough. My flannel one is only like 42 inches and it's hard to get a good drape on the shoulder with that, even though I'm not all that tall. Seems like it should be at least 60 inches, and 72 might be more like it. Have you worn the Philamhor? What's your experience?
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 08:07:10 AM »
Well, I have enough grey tartan on hand, but it's polyester (bought for flags and table covers!)

The wool kilting fabric from Lochcarron is prohibitively expensive, but it is 60" wide....

Mary

MACTAVISH

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 09:24:22 AM »
ive worn the philamhor and wore it wandering around the highlands with friend andrew goodie. great. not as smart as the beag but very comfy and TRADITIONAL. looks great with the jacobite shirt and boots with rolled down hose!

Barbara

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »
Mary said:
OK - NOTHING has the swing of the full 16 oz, 8 yard kilt.
OK Mary, all this talk about the swing of a kilt on a man has me slavering here..... ;D  I love to walk behind the men and watch the swing of their Kilts, it's so, so, well, sexy!  :-[  :P ;D 

It seems to me if you plan to wear the Kilt for years it's well worth paying  $445 - $485 for the 16 oz, 8 yard, hand sewn kilt made by a professional kilt maker from Tom and Mary's store.  That's a lot cheaper than from other stores, and it can be handed down to your sons or grandsons.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

MACTAVISH

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »
HI BARBARA..........IM CURRENTLY WRITING MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY. I WAS GIVEN AN ADVANCE BY MY PUBLISHER  8 YEARS AGO AND HAVE BEEN PROCRASTINATING EVER SINCE.
PLEASE PLEASE DEAR BABS; IT IS NOT THE SWING OF THE KILT .....IT'S THE TILT OF THE KILT AND THE SKIRL OF THE PIPES!
ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED IN MY LIFE IS THAT I HAVE AN UNCANNY ABILITY TO ATTRACT STRANGE EVENTS!

Barbara

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
Hiya MacT, from my point of view, walking behind a man in a Kilt it's the way the Kilt SWINGS back and forth, it's mesmerising.   ;)  ;D   I do love the skirl of the Pipes too!   ;)

Well, get busy with that Autobiography, I want a signed copy of it!   :-*

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 07:40:05 AM »
The wool kilting fabric from Lochcarron is prohibitively expensive, but it is 60" wide....

That's my problem too. At $75 a yard (and that's the low end), eight yards will run you $600 in fabric alone.
The Reivers Ride Again!