Author Topic: A clan kilt  (Read 57724 times)

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
Re: A clan kilt
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »
Nope.............misconception!

An 8 yard kilt is made from 4 yards of 60" wide fabric that has been cut in half and joined at the ends into one long piece, 8 yards long, but only 30" wide.

If you're looking at a great kilt, you need 4.5 yards of 60" UNCUT.  On the old looms, weaving only 27-30" wide, the fabric had to be woven 9 ells long, then cut and put together to be 4.5 ells (approximately 4.5 yards) of 60" fabric!  Voila.......the term...the WHOLE 9 YARDS).  To understand this better, see http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Celtic_History/great_kilt.html

So....with wide fabric, you cut and sew ends to make it long......with long, narrow fabric, you cut and sew to make it wide!

Mary

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »
I just ordered a yard of Thompson Hunting Muted that is coming from House of Edgar and it is 56" wide.  They have already started switching some weaves back to the 27"ish looms though.  If you are getting any raw tartan either get the demensions or at least find out if it is single wide or double wide.  Normally your kiltmaker will take care of it for you.
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »
If you're looking at a great kilt, you need 4.5 yards of 60" UNCUT.

So Mary, I'm seeing tartan fabric widths of 54 to 58 inches. Is that wide enough for a philamhor? And then I'd only need four and a half yards?

I'm also seeing prices of £55 (which is about US$93 at current exchange rate) down to $75 a yard. Do you have sources with better prices, or could people order from you?

Michael
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
Which tartan, Michael?

Yes, it would be wide enough for the Feileadh Mor.  And the 4.5 yards would be the minimum but definitely "do-able"...........  It's one of those things that vary by the person...how much extra fabric they want to wear and how much time they want to put into getting ready and ON!

You can order from us....but if you're looking at the ancient Thomson red (used by MacTavish) or the hunting, you have moved into THE most expensive category of tartan fabric and it's $85.00 a yard plus shipping in the US. And, believe it or not, we're competitive at that price - you have to consider the cost of shipping fabric from Scotland has already been added to the wholesale price and if you're selling 16 oz for $90 or less, it's fair pricing with a (no, I'm not kidding) small profit margin. I think the fabric is overpriced from the wholesalers, but I can't do much about that. Very probably, the fabric will be shipped from Scotland unless it's a popular tartan.

If we ever get large enough to have the money and interest, we can have our tartans woven and cut the cost per yard by about half.................

Mary

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 07:49:13 PM »
I'm generally inclined to the Thompson Blue. Thanks for the information.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Donna

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 12:08:57 AM »
The kilt I ordered for my son  through Tom & Mary's company, the Tennessee Highlander, arrived today.  Its really nice!  The price was good and I've got
to say that our Mary really knows her stuff!  I'm so pleased with the kilt and
I know my son is going to love it!   If you're in the market for Scottish clothing
please check out their web site.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Graham Thompson

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
Anyone want to donate one as a house warming present to me???
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »
Donate a kilt????  I don't know what you're on, but I want some!  :)  What are your waist/butt/length measurements.....Lochcarron maintains a sale page for distrbutors and sometimes a Thompson kilt shows up there.......

Glad you're happy with the kilt, Donna......we had another one come in at the same time for a fella in New England and he was delighted. He was a bit leery because our prices were lower, but agreed the kilt was every bit the quality of either of the other two he had purchased  - one from Lochcarron and one from someplace else. He also has a Prince Charlie and vest and a lovat grey tweed Argyll day jacket and vest on order.  The kind of order you love!

Mary

Booner

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 09:25:56 PM »
I hope Donna bought the Dress Blue---it's too late for me to change and I can't aford another.

And Mary does know her stuff!

Booner

Donna

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 11:02:49 PM »
Hey Booner

Yes, I did get the Dress Blue!  It's so pretty that I want to wear it myself.
Which tartan did you get?   From the photos you posted of the Estes Gathering, I thought yours was the Dress Blue also.  I'm having a problem trying to hang it...the clips on the hanger can't hold the weight of the kilt.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 07:14:39 AM »
Tom lucked out - I had some multi-skirt hangers from when we lived in Germany and they could hold up a mountain.

My best guess would be the bulldog dlips from OfficeMax or Staples. They come up to 3" wide. You could open them over the bottom wire of the hanger and clip them onto the kilt. You could put 4 of them onto the hanger if needed so you would have 2 for the front waist and 2 for the back. These are about the only things strong enough that might open wide enough that I can think of.............. anyone tried it?

Mary

MACTAVISH

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 10:58:51 AM »
I HAVE-SURELY NOT SOLELY UK-HANGERS I'LL TRY TO EXPLAIN ABOUT.......................
2 PIECES OF STRAIGHT WOOD ABOUT AN INCH WIDE X8 INCHES LONG WITH RED FELT INSIDE. THE WOODS ARE JOINED BYA METAL COMPLICATED HOOK THAT LOCKS WHEN  WOOD BARS ARE PLACED EITHER SIDE OF THE KILT WAISTS.A LARGEST VERSION OF THIS=
http://www.caraselledirect.com/_/cedar_wood_trouser_clamp_hanger.1114-1php?View_Type=Category&CatergoryFrom=81

MACTAVISH

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
THAT DOESNT SEEM TO TAKE YOU THERE SO TRY=
http://www.caraselledirect.com/
go to clothes hangers and see the cedar wood trouser clamps!

MACTAVISH

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »
go to trouser hangers...............the cedar wood trouser clamp hangers! get there eventually!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »
Hmmmm.....Tom had some of those but they didn't open wide enough!  Maybe the newer ones are better?  I also don't remember red felt, but that could just be my age.........

How ya doin', our Scottish cousin??? Did you take your son Trick or Treating? 

Mary