Author Topic: 2009 Central Florida Highland Games Jan 17-18  (Read 59854 times)

Duke Thompson

• Core
2009 Central Florida Highland Games Jan 17-18
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »
The January games are fast approaching.  I was thinking of working them but have realized that I should volunteer to arrange and work a Clan Thompson tent.  Checking prices but I think it would be a hundred some dollars and I could probably swing that.  I would want Clan approval and would need help with background info and something to distribute, but have a degree in marketing I could put to use on it.

Any thoughts?  Anyone nearby or planning to attend?
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Donna

Re: 2009 Central Florida Highland Games Jan 17-18
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 11:02:59 PM »
Hey Duke,

First, dont forget to send me your address so I can mail your Thank You gift...

Please get more information on the cost of the tent etc.   I'm sure we can pull together a few items for you to make a display.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 06:46:07 AM »
Hi Duke -

We have time. We need a Florida commissioner ---- are you volunteering? We have support as far as table covers, tent banners, handouts, literature, etc.  For background, recommend you read the various websites about the Border reivers (even thought we aren't listed on some of them!). Two books I would recommend are Steel Bonnets by Fraser and The Border Reivers by Moffat. You can find them used on amazon.com or addall.com for very reasonable prices. Steel Bonnets is a very in depth study and the Border Reivers is more 'reader friendly'....... Tom is working on a Thom(p)son-specific history for the Border and Lothian areas and we'll have that ready for you (and possibly an abbreviated history for handout) by then.

Maybe it would be best if we talked on the phone and discussed some of these areas.........if you agree, let us know when would be convenient and we'll give you a ring!

It would be great to have a presence at the games in Florida!

Mary

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 06:05:56 PM »
Happy to talk about it, give me a call.  I did check and the tent, table and 2 chairs for the 2 days would be $85-$95.  Less than I had heard through the grapevine.

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »
So, I believe I have been duly appointed and duly accepted and duly confirmed in the role of Florida Commissioner for the Clan Thompson Society.  Now, everyone plan to come to Orlando in January for the games!!!!  We do not have snow!!! 

Booner

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »
Congratulations Duke, and way step up and supprt your extended family!!

One word of advise---comfortable shoes!!!!!!!!

Have a great time, enjoy yourself, and get plenty of names & signups

Booner

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:01:58 PM »
Way to go Duke!  If things go right John and I talked about going to the Orlando Games.  January is a good time to go south. ;D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »
Thanks Booner, looking for brown Ghillie Brogues now (will have a Thompson Hunting kilt).  Would you advise against them?  Any suggestions on something more comfortable?  I am already looking at synthetic vs leather soles...

Barbara, do plan to come!!!  The two of you would give us a potential of seven attendees that I know of so far and I'm sure there are some snow-birds that will be looking to thaw for a weekend...  Maybe a Clan Thompson road-trip?

Mary, any hints on Ghillie Brogues?  I normally take a U.S. size 10.  Given the heavier sock, are there any size issues I should pay attention too?  Is this something you carry?  Checking your site now...

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »
Hi Duke -

Well, the only ones I know of are in Scotland and run upwards of $250.  As an option, look at these from an eBay store - you would just have to get longer shoe laces!  What'cha think?  (darn, lost another sale! :)

http://search.stores.ebay.com/KAT-WALK-SHOES_brown-brogues_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZKATQ2dWALKQ2dSHOESQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ132804591QQsofpZ0

Mary

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »
Thanks Booner, looking for brown Ghillie Brogues now (will have a Thompson Hunting kilt).  Would you advise against them?  Any suggestions on something more comfortable?  I am already looking at synthetic vs leather soles...

We got a pair of really nice ones for my son with leather uppers and very well made synthetic soles, with a bit of cushion and traction. The leather soles don't keep your feet warm and are really slippery when wet. Also, some of them are glued together rather than sewn, and I really doubt those would hold up well over time. It was well worth our time to do a bit of research and find some better quality ones.

Mary, I think we paid like $110, and these were top-of-the-line, so a better deal than $250. We got them from a gal named Heather, who sells Irish dance ghillies, but also had good contacts for ghillie brogues. Here's her information.

GHILLIE GAL
Heather Rogers
10523 West Turtle Mountain
Littleton CO, 80127
Tel - 303 941 5081
heather@ghilliegal.com

Hope this helps.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:19:16 AM »
Good information, Michael - thanks! The more sources and options we can find, the better!

I also found these and this might be the 'deal of the century'.................... http://www.britishshop.com/item.php?item_id=1985

In New York and $85.00 WITH the long lacing............Brown ghillie brogues, leather uppers, synthetic sole at the British Shop online.

Mary

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »
Okay all, it looks like the clan tent at the Central Florida games in January is official.  I talked to the games VP and they did receive my request form and check and all is in good shape.  If you are thinking to attend, take a look at their web site http://www.flascot.com and I will keep posting here as I have updates.  I will post the official event hotel here as soon as I find it.  Mary, is it okay if I send them the Clan Thompson Society graphic that you did to post on their web site?

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 08:20:52 AM »
  Mary, is it okay if I send them the Clan Thompson Society graphic that you did to post on their web site?

Certainly!

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 05:03:25 PM »
Great, thanks Mary!  And the check for the clan tent cleared today, so we are official and paid...

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 05:41:21 PM »
Super! Fred and Babs will be there with stuff for the table and some handouts - John and Barbara Moore are hoping to be able to make the trip to FL for their vacation (they usually do one in the summer, but missed this year with Barbara's back problems.....so a winter break in Florida sounds good too!). Tom and I were hoping ....but we just aren't going to have the finances available. darn!!!! 

We'll some of the handouts online and you can download what you like and make copies to hand out. I know Fred and Babs have some but I'm not sure which ones or how many - you might need to get with them so you don't make things you don't need....?

Can you think of anything else we can do to help? All of the members coming to FL have worked in the tents before, so you'll be fine.

Mary and Tom