Author Topic: BOOK  (Read 13427 times)

MACTAVISH

BOOK
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:30:49 AM »
JUST ACQUIRED A BOOK THAT I HASTE TO RECOMMEND. GREAT REIVERS SECTION/CULLODEN ETC.'SCOTTISH BATTLES' BY JOHN SADLER. IT SEEMS TO BE WELL RESEARCHED AND WRITTEN WITH GOOD REFERENCE SOURCES ETC. IT ALLUDES SEVERAL TIMES TO A THOMASON OFFICER(JACOBITE GENERAL!!!!) IN THE '45 AND QUOTES HIS SOURCE AS 'BATTLES OF THE '45' p 86/87
theres very good insight into the reivers too

Booner

Re: BOOK
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »
I just got done reading a book about the borders during the late 1500's  called "A Famine of Horses" by Patrcia Finney Chisholm.
The book is the 1st of a 4 part series and I intend to get the other 3 books, "a season of knives," "a surfeit of guns," & "a plague of angles."  The books are a mystery series regarding the life of Sir Robert Carey, who was an actual deputy (english) March Warden, and the books are a loose interpitation of Careys' memoirs from his book, "Calender of Border Papers"

The author calls her books a "You are there" histories, and it show in her writing. I got a good taste of what it was like to live on the borders during the hight of the reiver activities.  It was also interesting that I am also loosely related to Carey, his sister married Lord Scrope, who was the March Warden with whom I am related.

I recommend the books - and I got mine through Amazon.com.  It was more expensive to mail it to me than to buy the book

Booner

& MAC T, I'll be checking your book out too.

MACTAVISH

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:45:28 AM »
this book is excellent. it would seem that in roman times it was the lowlanders who painted themselves blue-woad- for battle; it was an Angle thing that spread to lowlands. the pictii were tattooed blue BUT  the highlanders fought naked  AND WERE COVERED LIVID RED ...THEY DAUBED THEIR WHOLE BODIES IN ENEMY BLOOD...........

Booner

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »
I don't think I would have made a good warrior back then-going into battle nanked, with swords and other sharp, pointy things. I'd be afraid of getting wounded in the worse spot, ya know what i mean?

I'll check your book out though, I sounds like something I'd be interested in it.

You Take Care,
Booner

MACTAVISH

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:01:54 AM »
WELL BOONER; REMIND ME AFTER REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY-CAN THINK OF NOTHING ELSE AT MOMENT- AND I'LL SEND YOU IT (VIA SNAIL MAIL,IM AFRAID). I'LL ALSO SEND YOU SOME THATCHING FROM ROBBIE BURNS COTTAGE -THAT I HELPED MYSELF TO THE OTHER DAY -TO USE AS A BOOK MARK!

Booner

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »
Thanks MACTAVISH, I'd really like that, but I'd have to frame the Thatch.  I also have something here that belongs to you, and would like to get it to the rightful owner.

my best,
Booner 

MACTAVISH

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 04:37:46 AM »
Thanks MACTAVISH, I'd really like that, but I'd have to frame the Thatch.  I also have something here that belongs to you, and would like to get it to the rightful owner.

my best,
Booner 
NAE BOTHER BIG YIN. WHAT YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF THOUGH IS THE MEANING OVER HERE OF 'FRAMING A THATCH''.ITS SOUTH OF THE BORDER SQUADDIE SPEAK FOR HORIZONTAL GYMNASTICS! I'LL SEND YOU 2 PIECES, ONE TO FRAME(IT'LL BE PAINFUL!) AND ONE A BOOKMARK! YOURS,AYE; STEVIE MAC

Booner

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »
I can't type right now...... I can't stop laughing.... "Framing the Thatch"

I'll remember that!

Booner

Booner

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »
MACTAVISH, I hope you had a great rememberance day--you deserve it

Booner