Author Topic: Veterans Day  (Read 9241 times)

Booner

Veterans Day
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:57:17 PM »
This topic may have been posted somewhere else, if so, my appologies.

I hope all the vets in our little family had a great Veterans Day, and were shown all the honor and respect that you deserve.

Is it just me, or are we, as a country, paying more respects to our vets than we used to?  I'm involved in a couple of Veterans organizations, and was pretty busy this past weekend and y'day too, so I don't know if my observation is valid, but it seems to me that the contibutions vets have made are more appreciated now, moreso than in the past.

Booner
'B' Battery, 5th/59th ADA, 1972-1974,  "First to Shoot-Last to Scoot"

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Veterans Day
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:45:52 AM »
We did have a great Veterans Day.......even got an email from one of the kids sending kisses to her "two favorite veterans."   :D

Recognition of vets in Tennessee is still alive and well - whether there was more interest this year than last, I can't say. Living so far out in the country, we don't see much of what transpires in the city or county seat and, I suspect, there were events we didn't know about. The local Golden Corral gives vets free dinners on Veterans Day and you don't have to take a DD 214 with you or anything. I've always thought that was a super gesture of thanks to those who are or have served their country.

I would certainly like to think that there was more thought of vets and what is has cost them and their families for them TO serve this country - low pay, separations from family, living in conditions that are often appalling, some in harm's way who risk being maimed or killed............... and now we watch as our son and nephews take their turns protecting their country.....

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »
I too had an excellent Veteran's Day! The eighth grade class at the Middle School hosted a Veteran's Breakfast for us all on Saturday providing great food and entertainment. They were joined by the local Girl Scout troops who greeted us outside and thanked us for our service and helped out inside in various ways. There was a parade on Sunday (which I missed cause I was busy with yard work) and Tuesday while shopping a couple of strangers thanked me for my service as well.

It is indeed different from what it used to be in recognizing the service of our Vets. I think that is due mostly to the efforts of Viet Nam Veterans who fought and died for their country in an unpopular war. We didn't get the welcome home we thought we'd get and we knew that wasn't right. We did what our country asked us to do and we did it honorably. After our experiences we made a vow, never again. Never again would the soldier, sailor, airman or Marine be treated as a pariah because he served his country. Our service was equal to that any Vet from any previous war as is that of all the Vets who have followed us. When you put on the uniform you take on the responsibility to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America wherever and in whatever capacity your Commander in Chief decides you're needed and you do your best to fulfill that responsibility in an honorable manner. If you don't like where we are or what we're doing there blame those that make the decisions not folks in uniform out there doing their job so that you have the right to tell the powers that be that you don't approve of what they're doing without fear of being persecuted or prosecuted.

Wow, did I get off on this one! I really just want to say to my brothers and sisters out there, past and present, thanks for all you've done. Welcome home if your service is done and come home safe and soon if you're still in harm's way. Semper Fidelis!
Stu Thompson, USMC 1966 - 1970
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:30:53 AM »
      Good morning Sterling! I read your post and couldn't agree more. As the daughter and neice of men who fought and one who died in  WWII, I couldn't be more proud of your committment and courage for our country and our freedoms, My dad used to say the  wars were fought so differently and he couldn't imagine the things that generation had to do. He was really proud of you guys and gals he, wouldn't speak of it often,he still had his own ghosts he was dealing with, but just wanted you to know that those veterans admired the lot of you!
                       Thank you, Bev

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »
My son Taylor and I were in the Orlando Veterans' Day Parade.  We are in the Orlando Jeep Club and every year we drive in the parade to give rides to veterans.  We had about 40 Jeeps this year and about as many veterans - we even tried to recruit some veterans from the parade route in the crowd to hop in and ride to the end.  Thanks all who served and all who supported them!!!

James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Lowell Thompson

• art-handlers.com
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »
Hey, thanks for the V-day shout-out. I do believe the average American is more aware of our efforts as protectors of the greatest country in the world. I'm sure everybody slept better between 8-8-89 to 11-16-91 because I was on the clock.

1st of the 9th Air Cavalry. If it ain't raining we ain't training. If it ain't snowing we ain't going. Conquer or Die...
                                                                                                                          WHOO-AHH  Lowell Thompson...
THROW HARD!!!