Author Topic: McLAIN CELTIC FESTIVAL - CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA  (Read 38258 times)

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
McLAIN CELTIC FESTIVAL - CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:42:07 AM »
I would be intrested in setting up a Clan Thompson Tent at the McLain Celtic Festival, Carlisle PA on Sept 5, 2009. What support materials are available on loan - Banners, Membership applications, handouts, etc.  Any Thompsons in the South-Central PA region available and will to assist, let me know

McLAIN CELTIC FESTIVAL
TWO MILE HOUSE, 1189 WALNUT BOTTOM ROAD
CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA
Saturday, September 5, 2009

Jim Reed
jim_reed@tricountyi.net

Mary

• Administrator
Re: McLAIN CELTIC FESTIVAL - CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »
I would be intrested in setting up a Clan Thompson Tent at the McLain Celtic Festival, Carlisle PA on Sept 5, 2009. What support materials are available on loan - Banners, Membership applications, handouts, etc.  Any Thompsons in the South-Central PA region available and will to assist, let me know

That would be GREAT! Maybe we would be able to gather some members together to go......I know there are some on the forum from PA. We do have banners, membership apps, handouts of various kinds, a handbook for a commissioner which includes the basics of running a tent, table covers, tartan pieces, and will (hopefully) have some history put together by then.  Also, you can copy items from the website -- like the arms, etc. and make a notebook for the table.  People seem to like the ones with the plastic page holders that they can flip through.........

Thanks for volunteering!

Mary

Donna

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:58:50 AM »
Hey y'all,

Please don't forget to take lots of photos!  Remember... Mary has offered to set up a Clan Thompson Society photo gallery to post the photos that are forwarded to her.   

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Jon Heller

• Lochiel Emerald Society Pipes and Drums
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
Hey Jim! I live in Mechanicsburg and would love to help. My pipe band played there last year and should be playing again next year. I had to stay near the band booth but maybe we can arrange to have them close to each other??? Our band manager knows the organizer very well....I'll have to have him check. :) My mom is local as well and would probably love to help out also.

Jon

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 04:36:27 AM »
Jon,

Thanks for the offer, will be contracting you as we get closer to Show Time. See you're from Mechnaicsburg

Jim R.

Jon Heller

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:05:58 AM »
Looking forward to it!! Yes, I'm in Mechanicsburg. You're from up the mountain?

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »
I kow it's a haul, but it would be great if you all could make it to the AGM in Glasgow, KY this year!  www.glasgowhighlandgames.com

Anything new in your neck of the woods (except cold?)

Jon Heller

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
I would love to be there for those games and was trying to figure out a way to make it work, but its not looking too good. I've got 3 littles ones and the oldest started school this year which adds another layer of complexity. DOH! Keep your fingers crossed.... :)

Cold is an understatement!!! It got back in the 20s and felt like a heat wave! HA!

Graham Thompson

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »
Whose complaining about the weather. Friday last week it was -50 C here and today it was -15 C. Thats our average winters. Right before and right after christmas here we had between -40 C and -50 C for almost 2 weeks staright. They should hold a games here in the winter. See who the real Laddies and Lassies are  :P
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Jon Heller

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »
-50 C?? Wow .... count me out of that competition -- I won't even pretend to stand a chance! HA!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 09:30:43 PM »
Now we know why Graham never bought a kilt!  He probably only see's a week of summer a year and it might not be when the local games is held!

:)

Graham Thompson

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
well im the summer we sometimes hit +40C with the humidity. our average is +30C. But we do only see summer from the end of april to about steptember
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »
Now we know why Graham never bought a kilt!  He probably only see's a week of summer a year and it might not be when the local games is held.

Are you kidding? There are few garments in existence that are warmer than eight or nine yards of worsted wool gathered round you. I have a friend who won't wear his kilt in the summer anymore because it's just too hot.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 07:44:03 AM »
Your friend needs to learn how to surreptitiously 'fan' his kilt! It's a quandry --- the heavy weight kilt hangs, holds pleats better and just looks better....but the 13 oz might be cooler. I say "might" because there's only 2 oz per yard (60" wide, 36" long) and that's very little difference for the human body to feel. (with the width of 60", it's almost 2 oz per 1 5/8 yard)

I used to do wool spinning demonstrations in the hot summers wearing a cotton skirt/chemise and bodice. I ROASTED. One day, for some reason, I put on my hand woven, heavy weight, floor length, full wool skirt and wool bodice over a cotton chemise.  I was MUCH cooler..the wool blocked the hot sun beating on it instead of just letting the heat through to my skin. And the wool bodice over the cotton absorbed sweat and worked there too.

So, I'm still a believer in wearing wool in all seasons!

Graham Thompson

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »
I perfer to go without the kilt or pants in the heat. Thats probably why no one wants to hang around with me in the summer