Author Topic: McLAIN CELTIC FESTIVAL - CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA  (Read 38266 times)

Barbara

Re: McLAIN CELTIC FESTIVAL - CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »
 ;D Funny Graham   ;D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Graham Thompson

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »
I do what I can with the gifts I was giving
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
A note on the kilt in "cold" weather, when I was setting up the Clan Tent at the Orlando games at 6:30am it was 36 degrees Farenheit.  I had on my kilt and wool kilt socks and was comfortable (since I also had on 4 various shirts and a wool vest, the beard and long hair didn't hurt either but those are both gone now...).  I have 13oz wool and will let you know how it does in the Florida Summer...
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 04:56:51 AM »
Reservation has been submitted for an space in the Clan Tent Area for the MacLain Celtic festival in Carlisle PA on Saturday, September 5th.  Location is easily accessible from I-81 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike. For more info check  the website: http://www.historicalsociety.com/tmhfestival.html  Anyone available to help man the booth, let me know

Jim Reed
jim_reed@tricountyi.net
717-582-8315

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
Mary and I plan to be there!

Jon Heller

• Lochiel Emerald Society Pipes and Drums
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »
Great news Jim! I should be able to help out some. My pipe band is playing and then I have to take some shifts at our band tent but I would love to help out in whatever way I can with that said. We are going to try and get the band tent near the clan tents this year. Last year we were tucked in a corner with the other musicians .... something about being loud when we're tuning or  something??? :)

My mom was interested too and planning on helping with whatever. I'll let her know and give her your contact info.

Looking forward to it!!!!
Jon

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »
Great!  You can come over to the tent and entertain the clans a bit!  So often, they stick us off to one side and we don't get much chance to see the pipe bands or watch the pipers play. We'll look for you and your mom!

Wanted to get some info from you re: pipe band uniforms/equipment, too.  :)

Mary

Jon Heller

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »
Sounds good to me! :)

What do you need to know about uniforms/equipment? I know it adds up quickly!! HAHA!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 09:33:44 PM »
Doesn't it just! !?!?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth carrying some instruments/uniforms/etc. at our online store or not. I don't know if the pipe bands are thriving and growing or slowly dissolving under the current economic conditions. I believe I can GET just about anything...but whether I want to stock or advertise is what I'm trying to figure out. 

One of the major costs for bands (I would think) would be the kilts and THERE, I believe I might be able to help. ;) We'll talk at Carlisle or offline (I don't use the forum for advertising....)

I just don't get to enough games to ascertain the 'health' of Scottish bands.

Thanks!

Mary

Jon Heller

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 06:44:55 AM »
understood! We'll gab later. :) Band health seems to vary greatly by band. Our band has actually grown quite a bit this past year but I know others that have seen the opposite.

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 07:04:48 AM »
One couldn't have asked for a better day.  A nice sized crowd, about the size of Edinboro. A great variety of amateur athletic games, Celtic entertainment, clan societies and vendors.  Clan Thompson was represented by Jim Reed and Jon Heller.  Jon,a piper in a band at the festival, had to share his time in manning the Pipe Band tent, but was able to spend a good amount of time representing us.  Had at least a half-dozen Thompson's or Thompson descendants stop by to socialize.  Many who have been to other Games or followed their Thompson heritage, were pleasantly surprised that a Clan Thompson Society existed to represent their interests.  Each walked away with a new member application, so here is hoping we get a few new members.

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 07:12:26 AM »
Jim Reed & Jon Hell at Clan Tent

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 07:13:56 AM »
Piper Jon Heller

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 07:14:55 AM »
Clan Thompson Tent

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 08:05:59 AM »
A big thanks to Jim and Jon
   Just getting our name and goals out to the many Thom"s in PA is a great accomplishment.  I know how hard it is to work a tent.
Again thanks guys. The pictures are a real treat.
Tom