Author Topic: Pennsylvana to North Carolina to Georgia to Alabama,Texas,Arkansas, Florida  (Read 8725 times)

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
We are looking for Thompson's that came from James Thompson and Ruth Alexander. This is our direct line as far as we can tell. I have information and if I can get the scanner to work for me I can post a lot of it. We have information that James' dad was John Thompson and his mother was Esther Hale, and that they both died in 1710, John was thrown from a horse over a bluff and Esther died a few days later leaving James an orphan at age 10. James, or "Jimmie" was bound to Patrick Hagan who was very harsh and Jimmie ran away crossing over to Scotland at age 13. He was taken in by a John Alexander who hired him to work on his farm, then raised him and sent him to school. He fell in love with John's daughter Ruth and they married when of age. The Alexanders and Jimmie and Ruth all came to America in the mid 1700's settling about 20 miles west of Pennsylvania. Most of this information comes from a manuscript on file in the Madison County Georgia Library The Thompson Family by Calvin T. Floyd. John's father is reportedly Alexander Thompson born in Scotland and I've seen him referred to as Capt. Alexander who served in the Tyrone Rebellion "in 1601 to 1603. He was promoted to Captain and received a land grant in Antrim, Ulster, Ireland, where he moved. He had 4 known sons." Then possibly John and definitely James were born in Ireland, John died in Ireland as described above.  The claim that John's Dad was Alexander may be so BUT as I understand the Tyrone Rebellion or Nine Years War began in 1593 and ended in 1602. So.... either this is the wrong Alexander or John stated born about 1677 was born when Alexander was well over 90! As Clan Thompson's Rootsweb page has, John's father was Alexander born about 1650, well after the Tyrone Rebellion And even after the Ulster Plantation set up and in effect from 1603 to 1618. We have a record of baptism and marriage recorded in the Lisburn Cathedral registry of Alexander Thompson married to Grizel Wayson 6/13/1667. Their John baptised 7/21/1677 married Esther Hale. We also have mention that James was born about 1700, and their is a John who died at Tyrone, Ulster, Ireland about 1710 which would fit with Jimmie's age at 10 when orphaned. (I guess). I would suspect that the Capt. part came from the DAR as there was an Alexander Thompson that fought in the battle of King's Mountain on the border of North Carolina and South Carolina on 10/7/1780. And a James Thompson, son of Alexander applied for a pension 5/6/1833. I have a copy of the application and judgement and he served his entire time as a private. I hope I did not make this confusing. Anybody that can shine a light on any of this please do. Karma