Author Topic: RI Highland Games  (Read 8336 times)

Stirling Thompson

RI Highland Games
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:21:53 AM »
Well, this past weekend was certainly a momentous one! On Saturday, Dottie and I attended the Rhode Island Highland Games at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Richmond, RI. It is a small games but well attended and with a great location and even the weather cooperated. The day started out cloudy and cool but the sun came out and it warmed up in a hurry! There were about twenty clans in attendance and the usual vendors, food, and entertainment. They had some problems with the athletics, they broke several of the cabers and were asking the crowd if anyone had a chain saw handy! Unfortunately, dummie me left the camera behind so I have no pics to share. I bought kilt! Being a thrifty Scot, I'm saving my pennies to get the good kilt in the Thompson tartan but in the meantime I got one off the rack for $100 in the Freedom tartan pattern. The saleslady said I looked braw but I suspected she just wanted the sale. I also got a belt and really fancy sporran! We wandered the clan village talking with lots of good folks trying to get an idea of what others have in their tents so I'll know what I need to get for next years games. I need everything including the tent so I don't know if I'll be able to do any this year. Really wish I could but money is still a bit tight. I found another clan trying claim some of us Thomsons. The Gunn Clan apparently claim us because the ancestor of the that clan had son named Thomas. Of course they're way up on the North coast of Scotland a long way from the border so I don't think we'll lose too many to them. Anyway, we ended up leaving early because the heat really got to Dottie.

On Sunday I got the news that we're going to be grandparents again, number 6! Don't know all the details yet since my daughter will need an ultrasound to find out exactly how far along she is. She has 3 boys so she's hoping for a girl this time but we'll just have to wait and see.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Donna

Re: RI Highland Games
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »
Hey Stu,

Now for sure we'll be wanting to see photos!  I'd like to see your new kilt  :D.
I hope Dottie feels better but it sounds like y'all had a good time regardless of the heat.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
Well, Stu.......you know how to have an interesting weekend!  Scottish games and another grandchild on the way!  Remind me to stay away (we have 8!)

Do send us some photos if you have them.......maybe Dottie can take a picture of you in your new kilt......?

I sympathize with her and the heat - I don't take it well at all and live in TN where it can get hotter than hell in the summer. We were so happy to go to Glasgow this year and have the temps for the games under 100 degrees!  Poor Booner....being from the mountains of Colorado, he thought the humidity (about 80%) and heat (at 85 degrees) wasn't fit for humans! :)   He should have been there last year!

Clann Gunn's claim to any Thom(p)sons is pretty thin. But hey.........as we've seen from some other clans....... NOTHING is too much of a stretch to claim a name that  might get you a lot of members....

Glad you had a good time, all in all!

Mary

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:04:42 PM »
Hey Stu, thanks for the report on the Rhode Island Highland Games.  Can't wait to see you in your kilt!  Pictures!  Pictures!  We want pictures of you in your kilt.  We ladies love to see men in kilts, don't we girls! 

Congrats on the new grandchild!

I too know how your wife felt in the heat....can't take it myself either.  If I get too hot I pass out.... :P  :-\  Glasgow was not as hot as usual this year so I really enjoyed it!

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »
YES WE LOVE KILTS!   ;D Karma