Author Topic: Illinois St. Andrews Scottish Festival and Highland Games  (Read 18748 times)

Mary

• Administrator
Illinois St. Andrews Scottish Festival and Highland Games
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »
OK!   Anyone lurking around Chicago-land this weekend should definitely show up at the St. Andrews games.  We held our AGM there two years ago and were the honored clan === it's a fantastic games and pretty easy to get to!  Deb Montague will be hosting our tent there again this year - it's too far for Tom and me this year with the Edinboro games next month in PA.........so, if someone else out there can get there and give her a hand (or at least moral support) it would be great.

The website for the games is http://www.chicago-scots.org

Debra Montague

Re: Illinois St. Andrews Scottish Festival and Highland Games
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »
Shhhhh...nothing to see here.....just move along. Hi Mary.  ;D

A good time was had by all at the 23rd annual ISAS Highland Games. It didn't start out that way.

But to spare the retyping, I have a blog, http://www.debscupoftea.com/2009/06/sunburn-and-60-mph-winds-long.html, and you can read with photos. My nose has stopped peeling.

I haven't researched new tents. Other things require my attention, at the moment.

Deb

Debra Montague

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:27 AM »
Oh, two things came up and, unsure where to put them, I will just put them here since they came up at the ISAS games.

1)  A gal with two kids and a spouse in tow, came running up to the table grinning broadly and said, "You must be Steven's cousin!" My extreme surprise at the comment must have registered on my face (how could it not, I guess) and she stepped back a step with a look of surprise on her face. "You're not Steven's cousin?" she asked. "I was told Steven's cousin would be here." I smiled and said, "Well, we are, technically, all cousins by right of the name, but a direct line relation, no, I'm not related in any way to him." She looked crestfallen. I said, "My family is from Fife on the opposite side of the island from where Steven is from." "Oh, really?" was her reply. "I'm sad that a cousin isn't here as I was told would be." "Well, we're all cousins because we share a name or place of ancestry. Isn't that what it's all about?" "Well, thank you," she said and walked away.

No, I didn't ask who told her and I was kicking myself later for not asking. It did run through my mind, but I couldn't think of a way to say it without it coming out confrontational since I was so shocked by her initial comment to begin with. I've reached the age where sometimes I can think on my feet, but most of the time, that talent escapes me. I simply tried to be calm and upbeat. I don't want to be associated with them but we are all "cousins" because of a shared Scottish ancestry. I have no feel for if she was a "plant" and I don't think anything I could have said could be counted on being reproduced without being twisted. It is what it is.

2) I was accosted by a woman who was upset at our name. "There is no 'p' in the Thomson name in Scotland!" she said, pointing at the banner. "My father came from Scotland. He is rolling in his grave right now at the notion of a society that has his name spelled wrong!"

(Shift into expository mode)Thanks to Cathy's genealogical expertise, I explained the heritage of my family name, how the 'p' shows up in the 1830's and what we suspect was the reason. She had 3 grown daughters with her who, when I explained my family, said, "Oh, makes sense." I also pointed out that the 'p' shows up on boat manifests and in church records and we aren't the only clan or family to have our name misspelled by others. She did say that "Thomson" is the more prevalent spelling in Scotland while "Thompson" is more prevalent in the US. I pointed to the parentheses around the 'p' and said we were doing that so all permutations of the name know we welcome them. She nodded that she understood the why it's just that her father was adamant that the 'p' is not Scottish and anyone using it isn't a real Scotsman. I looked at her and she said, hastily, "Well you can prove your name. Still, my father would be rolling, rolling, in his grave if he saw that 'p'." At this point, her daughters started to move her away.

Two of the daughters came back about 90 minutes later. They were volunteers from ISAS and handing out participation ribbons. They apologized profusely for their mother's insolence. I wasn't offended. I felt badly for her in that her insistence on the lack of 'p' in the name is the reason I'm here and not in Clan MacThomas. We are all inclusive and people want to see their name. We don't want to be considered an after thought. Mary informed me when I sent this account to her, that Thomsons with a 'p' existed way, way back so it seems to be simply a case of blinders and falling in with her father's prejudice. The only thing to do is be kind, let them rant and hope, that at some point, they will come to understand what we're doing here.

Deb

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:29:44 AM »
Hi Deb!
Great write-ups! Here and on your blog! You should post here more often you seem to have a way with words. I'm trying to collect all the necessary paraphernalia for a tent myself so I can start representing the Clan here in New England. I bought a tent this past weekend ($130) and got the stuff to print off some business cards to hand out at the games. I'm curious about the map you had framed, which one? where did you get it? how big is the map? what does it show? Also where did you get the tent banner and the banner with the names? What other kinds of things do you bring for the tent? Anyway, glad you were able to persevere and survive the storm and isn't it great to know how the other clans are willing to help in times of trouble.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Debra Montague

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:08:57 PM »
Awww, thanks for the kind words, Stirling.

People will tell you I am a former quite active poster. Of late, I've been a lurker; breeze in, breeze out. My life has changed since the old forum days and I haven't been as active as Mary would like. (Does this mean no more "Will you please post?" emails?)

The map. It's an old map of Scotland I found at the annual Printer's Row Book Fair held the first full weekend of June just south of downtown Chicago. I found it last year. I forget the date of it. I paid a whopping $7.00 for it. I went to Hobby Lobby and found a precut mat and a frame off the discontinued 70% off stack. My dad used to frame items so I know how the process works. I bought plastic "glass" instead of real glass knowing that a) real glass is heavy and because I have to lug this from my car in the parking lot to the table, I didn't want all that weight and b) real glass breaks. I would have been picking up glass for hours this year had I put real glass in the frame. The resultant framed accessory is 16 x 24 but it certainly is an eye-catcher on the table.

I have an ad I need to frame but I don't remember where I put it.

My daughter loaned me a sword she got from my mother who got it from her father who dealt in antiques. It's an old Knights of Columbus sword and usually I have it hanging from the tent top. But this year, something told me to just lay it on the table. I doubt that it would have been damaged but I'm glad I heeded that inner voice. It's silver and with a hilt so it looks classy.

The material I use for a tablecloth is actually 3 pieces of tartan I've collected over the years.

One side has a small amount of membership materials and a sign up for more information. I have postcard sized pieces of tan paper with our web site and email contact and information on the clan on them. I hand those out liberally.

In the middle of the table, were the things I ordered from Zazzle. I have bumperstickers, buttons and 5 coffee mugs. I also have about 4 pieces of way left-over stock from when we did have stock as Clan MacTavish/Thom(p)son. There's a tie and three scarves, I think. I'd have to look in the container. I keep hoping some day, someone will buy them. I purchased a few things from Zazzle because I think a few things for sale on the table is necessary to make the table look full. Plus, who we are is not to be found in the tents of vendors. I know that we could, in 3 years, be replacing the self-designed crest with something that is ancient, but, until that time, I want people to see we're alive because, hey, we have coffee mugs for sale! I don't mind lugging inventory about if it helps promote the clan.

On the other side of the table I had the map and the sword and 4 reference books. People do like to look at books that have a listing of clans. I strongly, strongly recommend "How the Scots Invented the Modern World" by Arthur Herman. I have it in hardcover but it's easily obtainable in softcover. People coming to a games for the first time will see this book and chuckle but, if you've read it, you can wax poetic about Scotland and her culture. I have more books on Scotland in a bin under the table and will rotate them throughout the day. If you don't have a book that talks about various clans, I recommend you find one. That's the one people love to look through.

The Clan Thompson banner and the names banner were provided by Mary.

I come with a Captain's chair I got at the end of the season at Target. It has a place for my water bottle. I didn't bring water or juice this year as Clan Wallace told me not to and, sometimes, I can be counted on to follow directions. They always have 3 x more than they can drink. The first time I did this, I did bring a cooler with water and fruit juice and I buy snack food and Lunchables. Since I'm alone, I don't like to leave the tent to get food. For the parade of clans, someone from the Illinois St. Andrew Society comes by at around 11:30 to see if you will need someone to sit in your tent while you march and they have volunteers ready to do just that. I do keep a nominal amount of cash to make change but it's hidden.

I am considering waiting until the end of the season to get another tent. Clan Wallace got their primary tent for $60 at the end of the summer. I just haven't had time to research tents on the web or go back to the site where I got this one and see what deals they might have.

I hope that answers your questions.

Deb

Donna

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 04:28:19 PM »
Hey Deb,

I've really enjoyed reading your post here as well as your blog  ;D
You sure do have a way with words and I thank you for taking us,
as readers, on this adventure with you!   Your Clan Thompson Society
family is proud to have you representing us  :-*

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:39:55 AM »
Deb,
Thanks, that helps a lot! I still need to collect more stuff I guess at least now I have some idea of what stuff I need to get. Oh yeah, please call me Stu, my grandmother called me Stirling but that was about it.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »
Hey Deb, it's great to have you back posting, we've missed you and your wit.   :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Debra Montague

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
Hey Deb, it's great to have you back posting, we've missed you and your wit.   :D

Barbara

My what? Oh heck, is that like a rash and do they have a cream for it?

Barbara

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:33 PM »
There's our Deb..... ;D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
Also where did you get the tent banner and the banner with the names?

Hi Stu -  we have 8 more Clan Thompson 10' banners being made right now....had to wait until we had the money to 'blow' on them! They will be ready when you are!  We aren't having more of the names banners made.....why?  Because, they were made when we were supporting the "other" clan and were appropriate to them.....some of the names would not ever be appropriate for a Clan Thom(p)son because of specific affiliation with the "other" clan and because of our versus their locations. So...we will wait until after we are recognized and then will come up with our own correct list.

I'm working on some ideas for marching banners, but probably won't have them until next year...............

Do you have something in mind that you'd like???  I have some pretty good programs if there's something you need that I didn't send you links for.

Deb - gosh but we've missed you! I don't think your wit can be 'treated' with a cream!!!  :D  But I have lots of different creams if you want to try!

Mary

Debra Montague

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
I have lots of different creams if you want to try!

Mary

Whipped cream please, with lots of hot chocolate AND sprinkles.

D.

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »
Happy 4th July to all my American kin.

Ern

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »
Shhhhh...nothing to see here.....just move along. Hi Mary.  ;D

A good time was had by all at the 23rd annual ISAS Highland Games. It didn't start out that way.

Marvelous story Deb. I guess you have a lot of character now, after all that adversity. I hope Boomer and I have a better time at the Highlands Ranch gathering in August.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »
1)  A gal with two kids and a spouse in tow, came running up to the table grinning broadly and said, "You must be Steven's cousin!"

Always easier in retrospect, but I would have been tempted to say, "Well how is cousin Steven? I haven't seen him since we were kids!" But then again, that might have led to a worse outcome.

2) I was accosted by a woman who was upset at our name. "There is no 'p' in the Thomson name in Scotland!" she said, pointing at the banner. "My father came from Scotland. He is rolling in his grave right now at the notion of a society that has his name spelled wrong!"

It's always amazing to see the ferocity with which some of these old myths are defended, and they seem to take on a life of their own as the years go by. My grandfather swore our ancestors came from Stratford-upon-Avon and were friends with Shakespeare, though it appears more likely they came from Yorkshire. But I'm a proud Thompson in any case.

I think I remember a quotation on the Clan Thompson site where they found the name spelled both ways in the same document, referring to the same person. The 'p' does seem to be more prevalent on the English side than the Scottish side of the border, but political boundaries were not all that important to border reivers like the Thom(p)sons, who raided both sides equally.

I've only been around for a year and a half or so, Deb, so it's nice to see some of the "old guard" coming back around again. You're definitely an asset to the society.
The Reivers Ride Again!