Author Topic: Hello from the Desert SouthWest  (Read 12461 times)

AZ Thompson

Hello from the Desert SouthWest
« on: August 28, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
Hello to everyone.  Just wanted to introduce myself, I am Nick Thompson from Phoenix Arizona.  Only recently have I been able to work on my family line and I am very happy to have found Clan Thompson.  My father had told me in the past we were from Clan MacTavish but he only went so far as to look up our family name from their website.  I stumbled across the Clan Thompson website and after reading a bit feel the MacTavish connection is a bit sketchy.  I don't have much information to work with but here is what I have so far:

My father is Charles Thomas Thompson, born in McKees Rock PA to Charles Robert Thompson (2-3-1917) and Elma June Porter (6-5-1915 Maiden name).  He grew up in Hyndman PA and Cumberland MD.  His father Charles Robert Thompson spent time in Cumberland MD and Ellerslie MD and is the son of Charles Sherman Thompson and Nellie Sofia Waltman.  Charles Sherman Thompson is from Homer OH, Uniontown PA, and Stateline PA. 

So far that is all I have.  I know it is not much but I am just beginning.  Thanks for making this forum available and I am happy to be here.  I look forward to getting to know everyone. 

Paula Cash Womack

Re: Hello from the Desert SouthWest
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »
Welcome Nick,
You found the right place.  We are on facebook, too.
We also would like it if you joined the Clan Thom(p)son Society.
We are an interesting "family".

Again, welcome.

Paula Womack
Membership Secretary

Donna

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »
Hey Nick,
Welcome!   I'm in California so it's very nice to see another "Forum Friend" from this half of the USA.   And, as our Paula just mentioned, please think about a Clan Thompson Society membership  :D
Its nice to have everyone post to the Forum but paid memberships help to ensure our Clan Thompson Society future.
Again, welcome and please stop by the Forum often...this you will enjoy!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Welcome Nick, hope you find the site useful ( it's always entertaining ;D), and  hope you become a member. I'm Karma, my husband is Jimmie, and we have a daughter Katey 14, they don't post as much, hardly ever actually but I try to keep us all up to date. Welcome from us all!

AZ Thompson

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I have limited free time so I am getting aquainted with the web site and the Clan Thompson homepage.  I will post more in a couple days when I have a day to myself.
Thanks again.
Nick

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »
Hi Nick
   I just returned from a research trip to the county of record of my ggreat grandfather in PA.  I am amazed at how many of us have roots in PA.
The good news is that most of the PA counties have made real progress on collecting historical data. The bad news is that I am still looking for early records.
   I suggest you write to the County 'Historical Society' for information about your grandfather.
    Mifflin Co was able to provide books and news paper articles of his marriage, death of his first daughter, naturalization papers, his occupation, court records of all of his home and business purchases, probate court papers, guardianship of his children, gravesite, remarriage of his widow, and possible census reports on his missing daughter working as a servant in two different homes. The best clue was a possible father and first wife.
  I am sure there is a world of information there and the people all seem to be eager to help.
Keep us informed on the results of your search.
Good Hunting
 Tom

AZ Thompson

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 12:31:34 AM »
Thank you very much.  Sorry for the delay, I have a tendency to let work (and neat clan web sites with lots of fun stuff to read) decide when I have time off.  Pennsylvania and Ohio seem to be full of Thompsons.  As I make my way through I will post what I have found.  Hopefully it will further the Clan Thompson cause.  I will have another day with my father soon and I hope to have more family information available. 
thanks again for the warm reception.
Nick 

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 05:43:03 PM »
Hi Nick,

I know I have PA Thompsons, I just can't bridge the gap to get there.  Will keep you posted.  Welcome aboard!!!

Duke
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 06:30:47 AM »
Duke, Who  is the farthest ancestor you have found before PA.?  Karma

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »
My father is Charles Thomas Thompson, born in McKees Rock PA to Charles Robert Thompson (2-3-1917) and Elma June Porter (6-5-1915 Maiden name).  He grew up in Hyndman PA and Cumberland MD.  His father Charles Robert Thompson spent time in Cumberland MD and Ellerslie MD and is the son of Charles Sherman Thompson and Nellie Sofia Waltman.  Charles Sherman Thompson is from Homer OH, Uniontown PA, and Stateline PA. 

So far that is all I have.  I know it is not much but I am just beginning.  Thanks for making this forum available and I am happy to be here.  I look forward to getting to know everyone. 

Hi Nick!

I've been really busy and haven't been online much, but I did finally catch this thread. Here is what I found re: Nellie Sofia Waltman and it's a bit different than what you have----

Nellie Sophia Waltman, b. 9 Jul 1883 in Colerain Twp, Bedford, PA. d. 26 Aug, 1966 in Snake spring Twp, Bedford, PA.    Father: Harlen M. Waltman and mother Martha J. Ressler. Grandfather: George Waltman and Grandmother Mary M. Harclerode.  Married 9 June 1906 to.....
     Spouse: John Ross Porter b. 10 Jan 1882 in London Derry, Bedford, PA and d. 11 Nov 1965 in Ellerslie, Maryland. Father: Norman Porter and mother Sarah E. Stair)
     Children:  Richard, Martha Loie or Lois, Marguerite Alverna, Harlan E. and Elma June Porter (b. 5 Jun 1915 and d. 2 Feb 1974).

NOW.......according to Ancestry.com, it was Elma June Porter who married Charles Thompson.

What 'cha think?

Mary