Author Topic: DNA testing  (Read 22709 times)

Moira

DNA testing
« on: February 10, 2008, 08:54:38 AM »
This was posted on another site, but it applies here too ----

I received a newsletter from ancestory.com today and their main topic was DNA testing. They are selling thier testing for about $150.00 but they also said they would accept results from other companies and post those results on their site. They gave a few wed sites from outher companies doing DNA testing. So I clicked on those links and came up with this one--

http://www.smgf.org/pages/participate.jspx

I have ot checked it out fully, but you can request a DNA kit and they will annalize for free.

As with most DNA testing, it's for the guys (you know, the y chromasome thing)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:23:12 AM by Forum_mgr »

Booner

Re: DHA testing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:24:23 AM »
I did the DNA test with SMGF.org.  It's free and although they won't send my DNA results to me, they will post my results along with the genealogy i submitted to them. So I will be able to see my results.  They test the DNA in batches and also verify the genealogy submitted so it may take awhile before they post the results.  I submited my DNA in mid-January and haven't seen the results yet.   But free beats $150.00 any day.

I hope my DNA is mostly human.

Big T

Moira

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »

If not, I'll suggest an appropriate clan for you to join!  :o

Moira

E. Thompson

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:35:24 PM »
Thompson Family DNA Project

Are any of the people who made the below listed on the Thompson DNA website  members of this forum 
T-27 James Thompson, b. 1796 NC                     
T-113 James McComish, b. c1780 Ireland       
T-79 John Thompson, b. c1826 Ireland               
T-43 S Thompson                                                                                                   
T-75 EE                                                                       
T-99 John C. Thompson, b. 1852 Ireland                                                                     
T-98 William McCamish, b. 1750 Ireland

If so I would like to get in contact with you either on this forum or you can contact me via email at EThompson365@aol.com

Bobbie

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »

If not, I'll suggest an appropriate clan for you to join!  :o

Moira

Yeah, Clan of the Cave Bear!   ;D

Bobbie
Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better. --- Socratex

Graham Thompson

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:28:52 PM »
Hey now lets not bring the bears into this. Unless your gonna be saying good, because no one want an assassin riding on a bear to come and get them. Beacuse that my profession on the weekend. Bear Assassin
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
Thompson Family DNA Project

Are any of the people who made the below listed on the Thompson DNA website  members of this forum
T-27 James Thompson, b. 1796 NC                     
T-113 James McComish, b. c1780 Ireland       
T-79 John Thompson, b. c1826 Ireland               
T-43 S Thompson                                                                                                   
T-75 EE                                                                       
T-99 John C. Thompson, b. 1852 Ireland                                                                     
T-98 William McCamish, b. 1750 Ireland

Unfortunately, none of ours. Thanks for posting - as we grow, someone may match!

Good luck!

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
Re: DNA testing
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Thompson DNA project report
    As most of you know I submitted my DNA for analysis to the Thompson DNA project in the latter part of July. It took about a month for the first lab report and subsequent family links to possible relationships.  The initial report was the first panel of 12 alleles.  A perfect12 out of 12 matches with someone having the same surname means you share a common male ancestor. Further testing is required to determine just how many generations ago you shared that ancestor. Of course it is quite possible that each of you will be able to find a paper link (birth, siblings, etc.)
   In my case, I had 5 perfect matches and one with a genetic distance of 1.  About two weeks later I received the second panel report. 3 of the first 5 perfect matches now were showing a 24/25 match.  Not an unusual situation since some of the alleles are faster mutating than others. The third and final lab report of my 67 alleles had two family groups with 62/67 and 63/67 out of the first 5 perfect matches. A perfect 37/37 match means you are very tightly related and share an extremely close common ancestor. Usually with in 5 generations 50% of the time and 90% probability within 16 generations. A generation is considered to be 30 years. A 35 or 36/37 shows a tight relationship.
   In each case of the matches I was given the email address of my match and was able to contact my link to compare possible paper verifications. I take that back I found one match that refused to provide access to his email address.  His refusal to sign the release prevented Thompson DNA administrators of giving me his address.
   There is also a search engine that is called ysearch that has other possible links and additional information.
   My two closest matches have been very helpful in giving me not only their family genealogy but also that of several other family lines that might have links because they were only a distance of 2 or 3. I have very possible matches to T-108, T-124, T-36, T-39 James Steele Thompson, Jaret Thompson, and Thomas Thompson of Pelham Ma.
  We are working together to find a common ancestor and it looks as if that individual link was in Scotland in the 1700s.
  It is well worth the cost and the more of us who become involved the greater the pool of potential ancestor linkage.
Tom

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 09:38:06 PM »
Tom, this is so exciting!!!  Wish I could have a DNA test done but know that would go through the female line and I'm Thomas on my Dad's side.  Also Thoma(s)son on Dad's side.  Since my mother and father divorced when I was 3 I never knew my Dad's side of the family and don't know my male cousins well enough to ask them to be tested.  Hummm, I might try though, all they could do is turn me down.  Have to come up with the money first.   :-\

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »
E. Thompson and everyone else,
I have some info relating to E. Thompson's DNA info.

The James Thompson ( T-27 ) is my 5th great-grandfather!!!!
Here is how:  James Thompson married Nancy Pack.
                       Child: John Havery Thompson  Born about 1796 Died 1860

John Harvey Thompson married Nancy Patrick 16 Dec. 1816.
                       Child:James Calvin Thompson  Born May 5, 1836 Died Aug.
                              27, 1911

James Calvin Thompson married Nancy Wilder Nov.24, 1853
                  I have a picture of James Calvin.
                       Child: Johnny Thompson Born Feb. 20 1854 Died Jan. 19,

Johnny Thompson married Serena Miracle
                       Children: William Mckinley Thompson----My Grandfather
                                    Laura Thompson, Easter Thompson, George
                                    Thompson, Dora Thompson, Martin Thompson,
                                    Mary Thompson, Chesley Thompson, Rutha
                                    Jane Thompson, James Arthur Thompson.

William McKinley Thompson married Irene Hill about 1920.
                        Children: Alma Louise Thompson
                                     Jackline Thompson
                                     William McKinley Thompson Jr. ----My Dad.

William McKinley Thompson Jr. married Margaret Ellen Todd
                 in 1946.
                         Children: Thomas Brady Thompson Sr.
                                      Bonnie Lee Thompson
                                      William McKinley Thompson III
                                      Rusty Thompson
                                      David Warrem Thompson
                                      Timothy Wade Thompson
Between my sister, bothers and myself with our kids, grand kids and
great-grand kids there are about 90 of us.
That's  the info I have on James Thompson   T-27

A. Thompson

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:14:21 PM »
I would like to get the testing done, but I unfortunately lack the Y gene needed and don't think am going to get much help from the only 2 living males in that part of the family.  Plus would have to cover the money issue

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 09:03:47 AM »
I got excited about the E Thompson descendants i.e. Nancy Pack until I checked and found that my connection was with a Nancy, Sarah, and Jane Park. Goes to show you have to be careful when you are researching.
   I came across a couple of interesting sites that might help find your ancestors.
   www.wellswooster.com  below the interesting UTube video is a link to Thompson.
   www.thompsonfamilies.org
   www.familytreedna.com/public/thompson/index.aspx?fixed_column=on
   www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ndeschart/zoo/324.html
   http:lowestvoice.wordpress.com/tree~tree

E. Thompson

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
Thomas B. Thompson,

James Thompson was your 5th great Grandfather. Do you know where your Thompson family originally came from Ireland, Scotland or England. We were all in the same group in Thompsonfamilies.org. I know mine came from somewhere in Ireland but that's where it starts to get cloudy. Any lead would be appreciated.  Ed Thompson   EThompson365@aol.com

A. Thompson

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »
Is there a list of common ancestors I can send to a family member to see if any match up to names she has found in her more endepth search of the family history (she's gotten further than I have but I don't know what she found)

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »
Ed Thompson,

The only info I have on James Thompson is his birth year and death year. My checking has him dead in Nov. 1814 in Bumcumbe County,
North Carolina. The next thing I want to check is:

Dept.of Archives and History, Raliegh, N.C.
          WPA Cementery Index
                 FHL 882944-66
                 Computer # 244033
         Don't know what the heck all those numbers mean
         But thought I could find out who James' parents might be.
         tomb0048@aol.com