Author Topic: New to this forum.........  (Read 25969 times)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
New to this forum.........
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
Greetings Clan Thompson,

Man, am I glad to see you guys!

I'm a Thompson on my Mum's side. She used to say you couldn't swing a dead cat in Lynn, Indiana without hitting a Thompson. Lynn is where her people are from. I've been reading the posts and waiting patiently for the Clan Admin to approve my registration. AND AT LAST I can join in!

I've got a bit of information to share and some questions to ask. I'll try to find the right topic and start typing.
Next step is to join Clan Thompson proper and support the Fam!

Cheers,
Sherry

The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Stirling Thompson

Re: New to this forum.........
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 11:32:17 AM »
Sherry,
Welcome to the madhouse! Sounds like you've got a lot to say so don't be shy we're all waiting to hear from you!
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:06:18 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Stu,
I've been typing away and posted some of my tree to the geneology section. I've already found a second cousin still in Lynn, from my work on Ancestry.com. Looks like the ride is about to begin, no?
Cheers,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »
Hi Sherry -

Sorry about the delay - I was out of commission for almost a week with connection problems. The first stop I made was the 'members awaiting approval!'
Glad to see you waited and are going to be an active member of the (as Stu says) madhouse. I prefer to think of it as an a place for the cerebral to meet... ;) I will tell you that our genealogist has been inactive for about 5 months due to illness in the family, but I spoke with her yesterday and she is ready to start getting back to 'things' now so hang on and she'll catch up.

Do you still live in Lynn?

Admin (and no, no one knows for sure who I am except for the webmaster so I may operate more freely)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:55:55 PM »
No worries Honorable Admin,
There was plenty that kept me busy while I waited. Made my approval all the sweeter!

I'm not in Lynn, we left when I was a wee thing. My Mum did however make sure we knew where we came from and sent us to Grandma every summer for two weeks. We would come back with her accent, a mix of Scot/Irish. Made me very popular in high school. Yay Gram!

I'm in Western North Carolina (Marshall) now, sorta came full circle if my research is correct. After living in many different states this is the place that feels like home. I will be in Lynn next October (if not sooner to research) for the Thompson Family reunion.

My good wishes to the Genealogist. I hope it was not serious, though fear it may have been after reading a few of the posts.

I'm so glad to have found all ya'll and step bravely into the madhouse!
Mòran taing!
Sherry

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »
Welcome to the family.
Thinking back about our conversation yesterday, the lasting impression I got was your enthusiasm for discovering your heritage. If I remember it correctly the first thing you said to me was: "I'm so glad to have found a Clan Thompson."  I have heard this from several forum members and from our supporting society members as well.
I have been trying to come up with a theme or goal for 2010.  Maybe we could start a PR campaign on: "I'm so happy I found Clan Thompson."
What do you think???
Tom

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 07:49:46 AM »
Tom,
I like it!
Let's put it on a bumper sticker, I'll drive it around Western North Carolina.

On another note; our well pump died over the weekend and the well drilling people we called?............name is  Thompson, coincidence? I think not!

Sherry

Paula Cash Womack

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »
Greetings Sherry,
Have you been in Marshall long?  I went to college in Mars Hill ... years back and my folks lived there for a while before moving to Knoxville, TN.  Maybe when I-40 clears again, we can meet half way.
Welcome to the Family.

Paula Cash Womack
Membership Secretary

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 12:49:23 PM »
Paula,

We've been here 10 years. Moved here after spending a 2 week vacation riding our motorcycles on the Blue Ridge Parkway..............twice (we really liked it!). My husband and I both love it here and have fit in quite nicely. Though when my husband (Robert) speaks, his audience is apt to say, "You ain't from around here are ya?" Yeah, they know he's a Yankee (from Michigan) right away. I on the other hand have acquired enough of a twang to pass. Just don't ask me to say house or out or boat............dead give away those words are.

I40........now they say 4 months or more to clear the road. Yeesh! Makes 25/70 to Newport, TN very busy.
Be happy to meet 1/2 way, there are more ways to get there from here than I40!

Glad to be here!
Sherry

John ThomsonHollingsworth

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 02:11:48 AM »
Welcome Sherry
you could use 25/70 and go past our daughter's house NW of Marshall
We will be there for Thanksgiving
Kate and Garrett have lived there almost 10 years
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:20:45 AM by John ThomsonHollingsworth »

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 08:36:42 AM »
John,

Thom(p)sons everywhere!
I hope your Thanksgiving will be a good one and the weather is kind during your visit. My husband and I will be taking our vacation Thanksgiving week, else I would take the opportunity to make your acquaintancein person! We are Florida bound......St George Island and camping.

Have a piece of pie for me!
Sherry

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
Hi Sherry and welcome to the family!   :D   You sound like a fun person and we love fun people!   ;D  There is always so much laughter and fun when we all have the chance to get together at Games, AGM meetings and at Tom and Mary's.  ;D  We're all family and I can tell you fit right in.  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

John ThomsonHollingsworth

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 04:03:24 AM »
Sherry
We are doing the opposite leaving Florida to visit NC with a stop in SC on the way.
John

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »
Greetings Thom(p)sons!

I think I have now caught up with reading the whole forum. The Scottish jokes are hilarious! The genealogy section has been a real eye opener....looks like I've got my work cut out for me confirming info on "my" Robert Thompson. I've found another website called worldfamilies.net and will give that a whirl. I'll let you all know what I find out.

The past week has been hectic at work.......... my 8 to 5 job is getting in the way of my family research!
Ah well, can't be helped.

Vacation looms and I've picked up some info on a Thompson or two from the family who are buried in a civil war cemetery in FL. I'll be following that trail while I'm there.

Wish me luck!

Mar sin leibh an dràsda,
Sherry

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
I'm baaaccckkk........
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »
Greetings Thompsons!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I spent mine at the beach on St George Island (panhandle of Florida). Twas lovely!

My search for Civil War Thompsons in Florida was a bust. Lots of them there just not my branch of the fam. I'm starting to think a visit to Crete Indiana is in order to check out the cemetery where Robert Thompson is buried and go from there. The whole process of searching is endlessly fascinating. Every bit I find adds to the puzzle and.... well it's all about the journey anyway, no?

OK the phone is ringing so I gotta go do what they pay me to do!

Cheers!
Sherry

PS. Thomas, I got the member package and now am proudly flaunting my Clan Thompson bookmark. Thanks!