Author Topic: Fact of the Day  (Read 34892 times)

Bobbie

Fact of the Day
« on: February 10, 2008, 11:29:11 PM »
Fact of the Day

Robert the Bruce assassinated his chief rival to the throne of Scotland, John "Red" Comyn, on this day in 1306. The two rivals met at the altar of a church in Dumfries and argument quickly ensued. Bruce, unable to contain his rage at Comyn, stabbed his enemy in front of the altar.

Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better. --- Socratex

Booner

Re: Fact of the Day
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »
Thanks Bobbie, I really enjoy these.

Big T

Graham Thompson

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:22:31 PM »
Sweet go Robert the Bruce.
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Bobbie

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
Fact of the Day

The Massacre of Glencoe occurred on this day in 1692, in which 34 men, two women and two children, members of the Macdonald clan, were slaughtered by Campbells and other soldiery on government orders after inadvertent failure of clan chief to sign allegiance to William III.

Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better. --- Socratex

Graham Thompson

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Those clans sound familiar. Where they mentioned in Braveheart?
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

MACTAVISH

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 11:02:13 AM »
Fact of the Day

The Massacre of Glencoe occurred on this day in 1692, in which 34 men, two women and two children, members of the Macdonald clan, were slaughtered by Campbells and other soldiery on government orders after inadvertent failure of clan chief to sign allegiance to William III.

IM OFTEN IN GLENCOE, ITS A NICE TEA STOP ENROUTE FROM A TO B. THE MASSACRED CLAN WERE THE McIANS OF THE MACDONALD CLAN. THE MURDERERSWERE , OF COURSE, THE CAMPBELLS OF GLENLYON. THERES A VISITORS CENTRE THERE WITH FILMS AND GIFTS .....RUN BY A CAMPBELL!

Booner

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:58:49 PM »
Graham,

"Brave Hart" is a wonderful movie, but as history goes it's B.S. It has just enough truth in it to bear a resemblence to the real story.

And Glencoe happened about 300-400 years after the time frame of "Brave Hart"  And I don't remember any mention to the Campbell or Mac Donald clans in the movie.

But I have a question about the movie. Just after Wallace has killed the sherrif who killed his wife, the father of his friend (tha father was killed later in the movie) says something i've never been able to understand.  He says something like "Macullach, Macullach," then everyone else starts shouting "wallace!, Wallace!"---What is the old man saying? Anyone know?

"Brave Hart" is one of my favorite movies, and it did a lot to raize Scotish pride, but any resemblance the movie has to actual history is in general at best.

Best regards,

Booner

Nathan Thompson

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:46:42 PM »
Hamish, the big red head bugger who was Mel Gibson's right hand man (he throws the claymore at the end of the flick in what is probably one of the greatest scenes in cinematic history) was a Campbell, his dad was called Campbell. Booner, we'll just have to ignore the Lowlanders with Highland names, who dress like Highlanders, and toss about Gaelic phrases, etc. Brian Cox's character, Wallace's uncle, is called Argyll, implying a probably historically incorrect connection to the Campbells.

I'm not sure that the MacDonalds were mentioned, historically they were too probably too busy lording over the Western Isles to give a tinkers damn about the distant squabblings of English and Scottish monarchs.

I always thought that the guy who played Hamish should have played the role of Wallace, he had the build for it (isn't Mel Gibson about 5'8" or something?) Besides, he's the better actor...but when you're the director I guess you can cast yourself as the hero.

Nathan

Graham Thompson

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »
I love Mel Gibson. He's awesome. Thats where I heard Campbell from. Hamish is awesome so is his dad. And I love that crazy Irish guy, "I told you that it's my island!" I love it

Barbara

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 01:07:39 PM »
Fact of the Day

Robert the Bruce was crowned King of Scotland at Scone on this day in 1306. After the controversial death of one of his main rivals - who was murdered on a church altar - Bruce was made king but still had to contend with the power of English monarch Edward I ("Hammer of the Scots"). Bruce eventually defeated Edward's son at the battle of Bannockburn.

Barbara (taking over for Bobbie)
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Barbara

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
Fact of the Day

Today in 1625 Charles I came to the throne of England and Scotland. His reign would be turbulent and his clashes with the English Parliament, plus his handling of religious issues, led to civil war and his eventual beheading.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

MACTAVISH

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:54:23 AM »
WELL CHAPS; IN THE FILM HAMISH'S DA SHOUTS 'MAC AULACH 'AND THE REST TAKE UP THE SHOUT, HE/THEY ARE PROCLAIMING WALLACE THE LEADER BY HISWARRIOR SKILLS.(IF YOU WANT A ROUGH TRANSLATION='MAIN MAN'

Booner

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »
Thanks MACTAVISH,

My Hearing is pretty poor but I knew he said something like that,

ok, I'm going to put you on the spot. What does this mean  --> "Mo Dhia, an do threig Clann mo chinnidhmi?"

Booner

MACTAVISH

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 04:30:12 AM »
WELL BOONER;ITS GRAMMATICALLY NOT GOOD BUT THE GIST OF IT IS -THAT SOMEONE
IS ASKING GOD WHY HIS/HER CHILDREN(WELL, THOSE WITH HIS/HER NAME) HAVE LEFT (DESERTED) HIM OR HER. STRANGE PIECE OF DIALOGUE  WHERE DID YOU SEE THAT???  STEVIE

MACTAVISH

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
I'LL REPHRASE THAT, ITS GRAMMATICALLY SOUND- JUST A WEE BIT ARCHAIC!