Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 18417 times)

Jon Heller

• Lochiel Emerald Society Pipes and Drums
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:04:21 AM »
Greetings All! I literally stumbled across this web site while looking for a nice image of the Thomson crest and couldn't believe it -- This is great stuff. My mom is a Thomson and we're trying to gather all the history we have. In the mean time I am attempting to read through all the info in these forums.....

Is everyone scattered all over the place geographically? I am in Pennsylvania, USA and was wondering if anyone else was from the area....

Jon Heller

Stirling Thompson

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:37:20 AM »
Welcome aboard Jon! Glad to decided to join us and give our best to your Mom as well. We're scattered about a good bit with members from Maine (me) to California (Donna) and Canada to Australia and lots of places in between. I think we do have some from Pennsylvania but not sure off the top of my head. If no one responds you can check the profiles as some do say where they're from.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Jon Heller

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »
Thanks Stu! I will have a look around for sure.

Donna

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »
Hey Piper Jon,
Welcome! So glad to have you join us!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Jon Heller

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »
Thanks Donna. I am very excited to be here!

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »
Hello Piper Jon and a warm welcome to you!  Is that a picture of you playing the bag pipes?  There's something about the pipes that touches me deep within my soul, love 'em I do.  :D

I believe we have a David Thompson in Pennsylvania and probably a few more I can't think of right off the top of my head.  When Mary and Tom get back I'll bet they can rattle them off.

You've found your home if it's Thom(p)son's you're hunting and we have an excellent genealogist to help with your searchings.  You'll find we are all like family around here, and we are all definitely friends.

Barbara

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Graham Thompson

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
Welcome aboard Jon
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Booner

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:25:16 PM »
Hi Jon

and welcome! 

We're all very glad you found us and I hope you'll be the better for it.. Take up the offer and let Cathy Mctavish help you on the family history. She knows her stuff.  We're very fortunate to have her as well as Stevie MACTAVISH, our "in situ" Scotsman who is a "honorary" Thompson.  He is our connection/teacher to the old country.
And then theres the rest of us "colonials" - a great group of people who I feel very fortunate to know.

I'm in Denver, Colorado, but the first of my Thompson line got it's start in Trappe, PN in 1794. I'm hoping theres a connection.

regards,
Booner   

Paula Cash Womack

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 07:34:53 AM »
Hi Jon,

I'm Paula Cash Lemmond, Membership Secretary for Clan Thompson.  As far as I know, Dave is the only PA resident, but Mary has'nt been able to reach him lately.  We have Ohio, VA, KY, NY people. Which area of PA are you located?  I'm pretty certain you are not too far from a CTI member.  I also extend welcomes to you and look forward to seeing you at one of the games.

Paula

Jon Heller

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »
Thanks Barbara, Graham, Booner, and Paula!

That is me playing the pipes -- I am glad to hear you like them too. There's nothing like them you know? Any other pipers out there????

I am working on getting all the family info. My mom has a good bit and we're trying to get it all together. Hopefully we'll find out that we're real Thomsons :) She's always thought we were Campbells.....

I am in Mechanicsburg, PA which is right outside Harrisburg and about 30 minutes north of Gettysburg. I have been in PA about 10 years and grew up in NJ, although I am not totally sure if that's where our Thomson history is or not (details to follow).

What's the best way to send our info to Cathy?

What games do you all go to?

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »
I have been gone for quite some time, I was pretty ill actually, but getting caught up again.  I still will be pretty out of site to the end of next week, when I should be caught up at work.

Piper, if you look at the member list, you should find my e-mail address.....
mctavish @ zimbrick.com

The spaces are not there, I just put them in so some spider does not pick up my address and start sending me spam!   I look forward to hearing from you!
Cathy

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »
Hey Everyone!

I am back, well sort of - I have to unbury myself at work here, but should be back on the boards by the end of next week.  I was pretty ill the end of July, and just really coming back right now.  Really, REALLY behind at work.  So, it seems that you have all been pretty busy on the forum!   Nice to see, I tried to read back, but only got the the 14th.  Can you let me know if I need to do soimething for someone??  Or if someone needs information from me!

Love to all,

Cathy McTavish
Recovering Warrier Princess!

Donna

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
Hey Cathy,
It's good to hear from you again!  I'm sorry that you were so ill and if there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Barbara

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »
Cathy!  Our Warrior Princess is back!!   :D   I'm so sorry you've been so ill and hope all is well now.  We missed you girl! 

Jon, the only Games my husband and I get to attend are the Glasgow, KY and the Middle TN Games.  Wish it could be more but my John still has to work.   :-\ 

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Booner

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »
Cathy,
Glad to see you're back, and especialy gladthat you're feeling better

Booner