Author Topic: Fact of the Day  (Read 41028 times)

Booner

Re: Fact of the Day
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 11:26:19 AM »
MACTAVISH, U DA MAN!

Alexander Macdonald of Keppoch as he was leading his clan in their charge at  Culloden, looked over his shoulder and saw his clansmen holding back said that to them. His clansmen, after hearing this, began a furious charge.

One of the things I like about Prebbles writing is that he may write in latin or gaelic, but then he tells you what it meant, for the benefit for those of us who didn't have a classical education!

All the best

Booner
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 06:30:21 PM by Forum_mgr »

Barbara

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
Fact of the Day

It was on today in 1652 that the Honours of Scotland - consisting of the sceptre, sword and crown - were smuggled to safety through the siege of Dunottar Castle by the wife of a Scottish minister. Oliver Cromwell had destroyed some of the regalia of the English crown and was intent on doing the same to Scotland's royal symbols. The wife of James Granger, minister of the parish of Kinneff near Stonehaven, then buried the Honours underneath the church where they remained until the restoration of Charles II.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 06:55:53 AM »
Trust a woman to think of the jewels!!!   Men just grabbed the swords, armor and their favorite wine cups!

We rock!

Graham Thompson

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 07:31:17 PM »
Thats right we like shiny and sharp things
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Barbara

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 02:23:58 PM »
Fact of the Day

Today in 1139 King David I was recognised as King of Scotland by King Stephen of England. King David spent 30 years at the Norman court of England and was given titles and estates south of the border, including Prince of Cumbria. When David returned to Scotland he was accompanied by many Norman knights who became the future kings and nobility of Scotland, including Bruce, Baliol and FitzAlan. The Fitzalans became the Stewart Kings of Scotland.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Barbara

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 12:26:43 PM »
Fact of the Day

On 16th April in 1746, the Jacobite rebels led by Charles Edward Stewart were defeated at the Battle of Culloden in their last engagement with the British Army. The defeat finally ended the Jacobite uprising.  :'(

Scotsmor

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »
Men always think and worry about the family jewels...
Rob

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
Lies and damn lies
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »
 ::) ::)oThe long time readers of the forums have seen disparaging remarks about those who lie. I see no need elaborate any further on those of the past. 
    Your love for truth and honesty may be much deeper than you thought.  In fact it may be due to your Scottish Border heritage.  I am going to quote a passage from  ‘The Reiverss’ by Alistair Moffat.
“…in 1553 a tariff of punishments was formulated. The most severe was not a fine or imprisonment but something many Borders feared more. If a man was found guilty of lying under oath then his word would never be believed again and no testimony, promise or surety would be admitted or given any weight. It was a potentially profound humiliation in a society where honour of a visceral sort did operate, and where to be branded a liar was deeply shaming. As Geordie Burn confessed to Robert Carey, honour was something to be ruthlessly upheld, since he ‘spent his life taking deep revenge for slight offences’.”
TOM
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 07:38:32 PM by Thomas Thompson »

Booner

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »
It's one reason why I really like one of the Thomson's mottoe's "Honestie is the best Policie"

Booner

Barbara

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 11:36:18 AM »
Fact of the Day

On this day in 1058 Malcolm Canmore was crowned King of Scotland. His father, King Duncan, I was killed by MacBeth, the inspiration behind Shakespeare's play of the same name, who then claimed the crown. Canmore, meaning great chief in Gallic, went into exile in England. Later with the support of Edward the Confessor, Malcolm returned to Scotland and re-claimed the throne.

Barbara

Barbara

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 09:04:04 AM »
Fact of the Day

After the sacking and pillaging of the town of Berwick in 1296, the first battle in the war of Scottish independence, an English army led by John de Warenne met a Scottish army of 40,000 at a depression near Dunbar. The Scottish army charged from high ground, but the English were prepared and the Scots turned tail and fled.

Barbara

Barbara

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »
Fact of the Day

The Act of Union joined England and Scotland on this day in 1707. The Scottish and English parliaments were both dissolved and replaced with a new British parliament. Scotland and England had shared a monarch from 1603 but retained sovereign parliaments until the Act of Union.

Barbara

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
And we know how THAT one worked out!

Thanks for posting these Barbara ---- I never have time to go looking for them, but always enjoy YOU'RE work!   ;)

Mary

Barbara

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »
Fact of the Day

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Inverkeithing (AKA Battle of Pitreavie) in 1651. Part of the third "English" civil war, the battle pitched Oliver Cromwell's parliamentary New Model Army against a force of Scots loyal to King Charles. Among the 2,000 Scots dead were some 760 Macleans.

Barbara

Graham Thompson

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 11:45:36 AM »
Yay, welcome back fact of the day
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha