Author Topic: Fact of the Day  (Read 43726 times)

Barbara

Re: Fact of the Day
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 06:56:58 PM »
Thanks Graham.   :D

Fact of the Day for July 22, 1298

Scottish army commanded by Sir William Wallace defeated by English forces under Edward I, King of England, at Battle of Falkirk. Sir William Wallace subsequently resigned as Guardian of Scotland.   :'(

Fact of the Day for July 22, 1484

A rebellious raiding party led by Alexander Stewart, Duke of Albany, and James Douglas, 9th Earl of Douglas, were defeated by Scots forces loyal to Albany’s brother James III, King of Scots, at Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire.

Barbara
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:03:26 PM by Barbara »
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 12:09:36 PM »
August 2, 1618 The Five Articles

To John Knox and his followers, it had appeared that Presbyterianism was to become and remain the dominant force in all branches of Scottish life. This was not a prospect that appealed to King James 6th and as he became more experienced and powerful he used his influence to curb the power of the more extreme Presbyterians.
Bishops were re-introduced, appointed by and answerable to the Crown. By threats and bribery, the General Assembly was curbed of its more independent members. Finally, in 1618 on James’ instructions the Assembly met in Perth to pass the so-called Five Articles. There was to be kneeling at Communion; Private Communion in cases of necessity; Private baptism in like cases; Observation of the great Christian festivals of Christmas and Easter and Confirmation by the Bishops.

The Articles inspired opposition and dismay and to many in Scotland it seemed one more step, and a large one at that, on the road back to Popery. The trouble was that James, like the other Stewarts, believed in the divine right of Kings and the Presbyterian ministers believed in the divine origin of Presbyterianism.

The conflict was not to be resolved until the end of the century when the last Stewart king, James 7th, had been driven from Scotland.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Barbara

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »
Fact of the Days

14 August 1040

MacBeth slew King Duncan I in battle at Bothnagowan, near Elgin, and succeeded him as King of Scots.  During his reign of 17 years he proved to be a very capable king.

15 August 1057

Macbeth, King of Scots, was defeated and killed in battle at Lumphannan with Malcolm, son of King Duncan.

“ ‘That man is noucht born of wiff
Off power to reff me my lif.’
The knycht said: ‘I was nevir born,
Bot of my modyr wayme was schorn.
Now sal this tresson here tak ende,
And til thi fadyr I sal the sende.’
Thus Makbeth thai than
In to the wode of Lunfannan.”

Wynton Chronicle VI. Xviii.
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Booner

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »
King Duncan and King Malcolm we my gggg something grandfathers, Macbeth was a gggg something uncle of mine and was the inspiration for Shakespear's "Macbeth"

It was just a little family fued, everything is ok now.

Regards,
Booner

Barbara

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
We are related Booner.........those are my ancestors too!

Cousin Barb  :D

Booner

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 10:06:54 PM »
So is Edward the 1st -"The hammer of the Scotts"

Although, I think as a leader of the  English, he was pretty good.  and His grandson wasn't to bad either.  Can't say much for his son, although the way he died was pretty interesting.

Booner

Barbara

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 10:16:49 PM »
Yep, Edward the Ist. here too.  Don't like him at all.  Seems once you find a connection to Royalty they are all connected in one way or another through marriages to Royalty from other countries.  Lots of inbreeding..........hummmmm.....maybe that's what's wrong with me... ;D  Kidding, just kidding.   ;D

Barbara

Booner

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »
My connection to the Royals is through the illigitimate daughter of William the Lion. So I may not be a bastard, but i'm related to one.

Booner
and what are doing up so late Barb?