Author Topic: Dec 2009  (Read 10080 times)

Donna

Dec 2009
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:30:19 AM »
Hey Y'all,

I was afraid that we would have our first month with no new Forum members   :'(    

Well its Dec 31st so I took a last look and WOOHOO we've got one new
member registered to the forum!   :D

Now, wouldn't it be nice if our newest forum member would post a little bit
about him/her self so we can send out a proper "Clan Thompson " welcome.

Happy 2010 everyone!   :-*
Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Dec 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »
Hey!  Not only do we have a new member on the forum,,,,,,but we have new members in Clan Thompson Society! Husband and wife, Linwood and Malia Thompson from Buena Park, CA.

Welcome, welcome!!!

We're looking for your first posts too!

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:53:26 PM »
Welcome, welcome new members!  HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Donna

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 02:37:28 AM »

And a very warm welcome to Linwood & Malia from me as well  :D
I'm always happy to see new folks from California!

Donna

ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »
Welcome to the Clan, Linwood and Malia Thompson!
Glad you decided to join the fray ;).
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Lin and Malia Thompson

Re: Dec 2009-What a welcome!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »
Dear Friends,

We were spending Christmas with our large extended Thompson family in Arizona when we found your website.  We left the website information with everyone there so you may get even more members from out west.  What a lovely surprise to get approved for posting today and to find your warm welcome.  Thank you for the lovely phone call welcoming us into the Clan. We are so impressed with the research that's been done.  The research is what helped us find you.

This summer, Lin's mom got us more seriously involved with genealogy.  The oldest relative we can trace in Lin's Thompson line is Archibald Thomson, who was born about 1678 in either Scotland or Ireland.  He settled in Norriton, Montgomery County, PA.  Our only hint to earlier ancestors was found in a Montgomery County, PA Historical Society document.   "Among the writings of one of the descendants is a description of the old ancestral home of Robert Curry Thomson at Changewater, N.J.  It says, "A stag's head, with the antlers always hung in the hall, and I have a faded remembrance of being told when a child that it represented a special connection with the Thomson name.  I have since learned that it must have represented a part of the Thomson Arms."  These writings also state that the following was taken from the genealogy of the family compiled by Edward Sharp Thomson of Port Colden, N.J. This genealogy has not been found.
The Arms:  A stag's head, cabossed, affronted, gu.  Cross-crosslet, fitched, on a agure, engrailed chief, between two spur rowels.
The Crest:  A dexter, embowed arm in armor, the hand ppr. holding a cross-crosslet, fitched, -all gu.
The Motto:  Honestie is the best policie." 
(Excerpt from document entitled "Thomson Genealogy and History.  Historical Society of Montgomery County, PA , stamped #8232.

Researching on the coat of arms led us to the image labeled "John Thomson" on  http://www.baronage.co.uk/2002d/thomson.html  and then to all of you.  We love Google Search!

Warm Thanks,

Lin and Malia

P.S.  Below is a quick sketch of Lin's direct line from Archibald.  We hope to find cousins among clans members.  Please feel free to contact us.  Lin's Y-DNA testing has only led us to one link thus far.  We'd like to find more.
Linwood C. Thompson's direct line documented as of 1/2010.

•   Archibald Thomson b. abt. 1678 m. Rebecca
•   Robert Thomson b. about 1707  m. Mary
•   (Col.) Archibald Thomson  b. about 1740 Norriton, PA m. Hannah Bartholomew.  Brother of (Col.) Mark Thomson and uncle to his son, Robert Curry Thompson.  See note on earlier ancestors below.
•   Benjamin Thompson b. 25 Mar 1777 Norriton, PA m. Elizabeth (Betsy) Stroud
•   Archibald D. Thompson b.1802 Norristown, PA m. Elizabeth Bryan. 
•   Walter McClellan Thompson b.1843 Norristown, PA m. Huldah Ann Makens
•   Walter Linwood Thompson  b. 1879 Phoenixville, C, PA  m. Annie  H. Edwards
•   Willis R. Thompson b. 1923 in Pittsburg, A, PA m. Beverly Wardlow
•   Linwood C. Thompson (historydude@hotmail.com DNA test 159795) m. Malia Bray

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:47:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum AND to the society.
   I am interested in more details about your web searches that led you to us. I ask as an aid to improving our links and web page. Did you have problems in opening the page?  Do you think it is user friendly? Did it contain information that helped your search? Was it attractive and interesting? Do you have any suggestions?
   Can I go to family tree and compare your DNA results?
  I'll probally come up with a few more questions later.
Thank you for joining and sharing you history with us.
Tom

Lin and Malia Thompson

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 02:16:38 PM »
Dear Tom,

Our finding you was really luck.  When researching the coat of arms I actually ran into the MacTavish and Lyon arguments on line as they compared the earliest Thomson arms to the MacTavish arms.  That document then led to the Baron page on just the Thomson arms.  Another Google search found a Clan Thompson newsletter from 2008.  Finally, a later Google search that night found the ClanThompson.org.  We were really happy to find you and to see all the work that had been done since that newsletter. 

The web page is fabulous!  Easy to navigate with information presented in an informative style while addressing the need for scholarly documentation.  We found it both attractive and interesting.  We both teach school.  Lin teaches high school history and government.  I teach special education preschool.  We thought your webpage had things for every age group.

Lin's DNA was done through the Thompson DNA Project.  They no longer seem to post people's results but contacts us regularly when a match is made.  So far we've only me one genetic match but haven't been able to link up the paper trails between our families. 

We really appreciate your work.  Thank you for all you do!

Malia

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 03:37:49 PM »
Lin and Malia, welcome to the clan and family Thom(p)son! Enjoy the madness!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu