Author Topic: Glasgow, KY Highland Games June 3- 6, 2010  (Read 22210 times)

Mary

• Administrator
Glasgow, KY Highland Games June 3- 6, 2010
« on: February 06, 2010, 06:36:21 PM »
Glasgow, KY Highland Games                AGM 2010                      Glasgow, KY Highland Games                 AGM 2010                         Glasgow, KY Highland Games                AGM 2010                      Glasgow, KY Highland Games                   

Our annual general membership meeting will be held at the Glasgow Highland Games, Glasgow, KY again this year. They have been very supportive of our efforts through the years and they offer us an additional tent free when we hold our AGM there. It's where we generally have one of our largest gatherings and is closer to a majority of the directors so we have a quorum.

Plan on attending! This is YOUR organization and we need YOUR input and interest to make it all it can be. It's a true saying that you only "get out what you put in" when you are part of an organization.

So, mark your calendars and  make your reservations for the Glasgow Highland Games. Accommodation in Glasgow get pretty pricey at games time, so you might want to look around the area and do a bit of driving!

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
Re: Glasgow, KY Highland Games June 3- 6, 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »
Mary, Do they have camping anywhere close with electricity? I'm going to ask to rent or borrow Jim's brother Romie's Pop-up if we can swing driving out. I'm so excited! I just can't hide it! I'm about to loose control and I think I like it!..... ;) Kate wants to wrestle again in KC. Do they have wrestling at these Games for kids. (She's only 5').  Karma

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
Hey Karma!

Yes!  Camping is available at the Barren River Lake State Resort  Park which is right across the street from the games and has a shuttle service running all day taking campers back and forth to the games  :D 

You can make reservations here http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/br/ or here http://www.reserveamerica.com/ but HURRY!!!  Campsites will be gone really soon - motels are already booked up.

We are in #92 and Barbara/John Moore are in #95, I think Fred and Babs Cash have booked in nearby and Heidi/Allen Thompson are across the street from us.........see if you can get up in our area of the campground! Cathy McTavish and Booner are planning on coming....and Harold/Patsy Bennett. Those are the campers/renters I know of so far........Ted/Pam Herring will be in for at least Saturday, along with Ed Dietz.... there are others but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.  :-[

Mary

GeorgeT

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:45:51 AM »
Mary,

I just went through the reservations thing and I will be there.
I am in lot 008 on loop 1. whatever that means.

-Steve Thompson-

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:37:20 PM »
We'll see you all at Glasgow!

Barb & John
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

GeorgeT

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
Mary,

I may not be able to make it to ALL the Galsgow games.
What is the schedule for the event .

I believe the main meeting will be Saturday night, but am not sure.

Please confirm.

-Steve-

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »
Hi Steve --

Yep - AGM is Saturday night. Usually at 7:30 (gives people time to shower and eat). It'll be between a couple of camping slots in the 92-94 area.....as you drive into the camping area across from the games, we will be up on the hill on your LEFT.  You'll come down a rather long road to the campground and there will be a large restroom/laundry building --- turn left and go up into those sites and you should see a 10x20 screen tent. That's where we'll hold it.

Here's the website for the games events:  http://www.glasgowhighlandgames.com/

See you there!

Mary

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »
WE DID IT AGAIN!!!!  BEST CLAN TENT          WE DID IT AGAIN!!!!  BEST CLAN TENT          WE DID IT AGAIN!!!!  BEST CLAN TENT
Wow!  Was it HOT in Glasgow!  :P

Yeah, I know - nothing new about THAT! We had storm warnings on Friday and it looked like it was going to rain a couple of times on Saturday, but it held off. We had quite a group- let's see (hope I don't forget anyone) Tom and me, Barbara and John Moore, Fred and Babs Cash, Heidi and Allan Thompson with kids Hannah and Nathan, Thomas Thompson and Barbara, Edward Dietz, Ted and Pam Herring, and Harold and Patsy Bennett. We had two tents to fit us and our visitors in!

The crowds for the weekend were very disappointing and I'd say about 10 clans that were usually there weren't this year. I don't know if it was the weather, the economy.....or both, but it wasn't great. Seems like every year for the past 5 years it has gotten smaller. Also this year, there was a lot of disorganization in the staff...they were all willing to help with any problems and everything got sorted out, but it was a bit hectic. I hope the games isn't going to disappear as so many already have. Glasgow has a great location, level grounds and a set up that allows the clans to see the games too, loads of parking, a lodge, a beach, a golf course, horseback riding, and the campground is right across the road from the games. Certainly the available activities are great.....but something has to inspire the clans and the visitors to fill up the empty spaces.

WE had a great time as always. ;D and we won BEST CLAN TENT again for the second year in a row! Woo Hoo!!!  We are one of the few clans who actually have something free for children ...not just a clan stamp for their little "passports." That and the fact that we get up and meet/greet people who stop at our table, take the time to listen and answer questions and are generally happy that they are interested enough to stop and visit. They go away happy - sometimes as a member, sometimes not - and we have found out that our actions were also a major factor in winning the clan tent award.

The AGM was held in Barbara and John's nice, big screened tent again. Thank goodness they are willing to bring and pitch it! We didn't have a lot on the agenda but election of officers, the fact that we need to make some minor changes to our bylaws based on the IRS requirements as a 501c3 type organization, and discussion (but no decision) on where we might want to have our AGM next year. Full details will be in the next newsletter for members.

If you didn't come - you missed a great weekend!  :o

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:50 AM »
2010 Glasgow Games

Well, it was hot, hot hot!  Loved getting together with our friends and cousins, we had a ball as we always do.  We put up our big 10 X 20 tent between two of our campsites and had supper and our AGM meeting after the Games Saturday.  We had so much food we ate on it all weekend.  Sun. morning Allen Thompson cooked breakfast in a dutch oven over coals and it was delicious, sausage, eggs, potatoes with biscuits on top.  First time I've eaten or watched dutch oven cooking over coals with hot coals on the lid.  Seen it on TV but not in person. Thanks Allen!

Those who stayed in motels met the rest of us at the campground for the food, meeting and fun.  After the meeting we have a silly thing of voting on the next Grand PooBah and the present Grand PooBah has to make a silly speech and has added something to the hat that goes with the office and we have to salute the new Grand PooBah with our thumbs on our noses, waving our fingers and giving a raspberry.  Fred passed the hat and honor to Hannah, our new Grand PooBah for a year.

The economy played a big part in the Games.  There was only about half the people, Clans and vendors as last year.  The crowd was estimated at 10,000 but I don't think we had that many people.  Our tent won the Best Clan Tent Award for the second year, and we had more people at our tent throughout the two days than any other Clan.  Yay!  I think laughter draws a crowd, others want to get in on the fun and we end up with more potential members.  The Honored Chief of Clan Urquhart came to our tent and some of our members had their pictures taken with him.  Everyone but me marched in the Parade of Tartans, I stayed with the tent and took pictures as my Clan walked by.  My knees won't let me walk the long walk around the field and I miss marching with my Clan, but glad to stay at our tent.

The Caber Toss is my favorite game to watch.  It's amazing to me to see these brawny men pick up what amounts to a telephone pole and run and toss it end over end.  I was amazed at the distance the hammer was tossed this year, I didn't hear how many feet as we were too far away from the announcer to hear good but I think there was a record set.  There was entertainment by excellent bands and singers at the entertainment pavilions.  Genealogy Seminars by Beth Gay, a sweet lady whom I admire very much.  A tug of war between Clan Wallace and the Donald Clan.  Clan Wallace won as they do most years, but then lost to the bunch of youngsters who challenged them!  ;D  There was much more but I can't remember it all. 

It was wonderful to see our friends and cousins and we missed those who didn't get to come. 

Barb

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »
Hi All
  I thought I would also pitch my penny in the pot and post my thoughts on Glasgow. Not that my views are more important but that we all remember different things.
   Friday, Fred and Babs went to the' lunch with the chief', and that night Mary and I went to the Ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee) and represented Clan Thompson at the 'calling of the clans to the chief'.
  I counted 19 of us at the tent, The heat caused 4 of our group to leave prior to the AGM. I also talked to 12 Cousins, and sent them an email inviting them to join us - on the forum if nothing else. Mike Thomas, Becky Nelson, Sett Barnett, Tony Blasczierski, Katie Daniels, Larry Gream, Roger Thompson, Eva Edens, Tina Wilson, Chuck Thomas, Peggy Gaffney, & Rachael Gaffney.
   I was so busy talking I didn't have time to watch the games.  For the first time ever the Best Clan Tent was awarded to a previous year's winner. I had two different judges come by and explain why we were singled out. A tent gets points for: friendly greeting attendees, attractive display, willingness to explain Scottish/clan/sept history, information and general support of the games committee.  I was surprised to learn that 3 clans received 0 points.( they stood at back of their tent and didn't even offer to speak to the judge - ignored the attendees, were too busy talking to each other etc.). One judge said we were so far out in front in points that it was no contest even if we had won last year ( we thought we were not eligible if we were previous winners).
   We sponsored the Harp contest and got a picture of the winner of that event. We can give to a group or event but not to an individual.
   Saturday evening we went to the campgrounds and enjoyed a dish-to-pass dinner. Fred Cash had prepared a pork loin as the main dish and everyone ate far too much. We had a short AGM and a longer "Grand Poo Baa" time. Then we relaxed and talked and ate again.
That seems to be something we do better, and more often than other clans. Overall I think everyone had a great time - wish all of you could have made it.
Tom

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Hi Everyone,
 Unfortunately, myself and barbara were two of the four that left early because
of the heat. My apologies!!!
It was great to see everyone again, even if it was for a short time.
Congradulations on the " Best Tent " award---Way to Go !!!!!!
Hope to see ya again soon at some other games.

Best Wishes

Tom and Barbara

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
I'm sorry you and Barbara had to leave early but I understand about getting sick from the heat.  You were missed.

Barb

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »
Hello to all our supporting members.
   A couple of members had reported problems downloading the Summer 2010 Newsletter.  It is a big file due to the AGM minutes,pictures, and a report on the Glasgow Games.
   If you are also experiencing problems please let us know.  admin@clanthompson.org  We can attach it as a .pdf, Word or Works. and if none of these are compatible with your computer, we will use the US Mail.

TOM
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:23:23 PM by Thomas Thompson »

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »
It was a great newsletter, with wonderful description of the games, and very informative about the AGM. Thanks so much for doing this.

I know you discussed having the AGM in Colorado, and we'd love to host it, but when we discussed that on the board, it didn't sound like we had as many members out west here as in your part of the country, so we'll certainly understand if that has to wait a couple of years. Of course, we're getting more and more active around here, so who knows?
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 08:00:16 AM »
Hi Michael -

Thanks for the cudos......the newsletter didn't look as good in the email as the actual file ---- I guess we should have sent it as an attachment. Oh well, at  it is at least somewhat readable! If anyone needs a better copy, let us know and what format you would prefer:  .pdf, .doc (Word), or .wps (Works). If you can open it, the .pdf is by far the best.

Estes - It would be interesting to know how many western members would actually attend. I know you are in contact with some of them - is there any way you could get with Booner and check and let us know what we could expect for attendance?  We usually have 20+ at the Glasgow games and enough directors for a quorum - a quorum is one of the major concerns...it would be a disaster if we had the AGM at Estes or the Ranch games and didn't have a quorum! So - any info you could provide on 'probably' attendees might help the board make a decision.  Thanks!

BTW.....there is a slide show of pics from the games online at http://clanthompson.org/glasgow10.html  ;D

Mary