Author Topic: Archivist information from our FAVORITE PAIN  (Read 40858 times)

MACTAVISH

Re: Archivist information from our FAVORITE PAIN
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 12:01:47 AM »
PREEBLESWRITES ABOUT THINGS LIKE THE CLEARANCES.BUT BELIEVE HEWROTEVERY GOOD BOOK RE REIVERS/BORDERS

Booner

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 10:37:22 PM »
I found 4 his works on Amazon.com.  He has/had a book out about Culloden, the Clearances, Glencoe, and history of Scotland.  I plan on getting the Culloden & Clearance books.  Thanks for informing me/us about him.  He seems to be a very respected author.

Booner

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »
Joh Pebbles wrote a lot of very good historic books on Scotland, I have several of them.  do an ebay search and you will find more of them.  Mary has a great librarian website....but I can not recall the name of it!  Mary??
Cathy

MACTAVISH

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 12:52:44 PM »
IM PRETTY SURE HES WROTE ABOUT THE BORDERS IN ONE BOOK..........MAYBE CALLED 'THE REIVERS'

Booner

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »
I didn't find anything regarding Reivers, but did order his Culloden & Highland Clearance book.

Thanks for the introduction to him.  FRom the reviews i've read, he sounds like the type of historical author I like. Alot of stories about the common man in the fight.

Booner

Booner

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »
Just got Prebble's "The Highland Clearances" today.  Haven't had much time to read it but am on page 30. I like his style of writing, as he tells the story through the lives of various people while he interweives the over all history into the story.  It's told from a personal level rather than from an academic view-point; very readable.   In about 3-4 pages he did a great job of explaining the clan system very clearly. 

Booner

MACTAVISH

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »
GLAD YOU LIKE HIM BOONER, IVE ALWAYS FOUND HIM A WEALTH OF INFORMATION....STILL SURE HES WROTE ABOUT REIVERS OR BORDERERS???????SEE WHAT I CAN FIND.....

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
I'd be willing to help you find John Preebles books, but I CAN'T FIND THEM!  Do I have the spelling right????   I've tried several sources and come up empty-handed.................................. ???

Booner

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 10:11:36 PM »
Darlin' Mary

I found mine on Amazon.com, but it did take some looking.

And MACTAVISH, thanks again for the introduction to a really good writer.  If you can find where he wrote somthing concerning the Reivers, I'd be really interested.

Booner

MACTAVISH

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »
 JUST GOT BACK. IVE SPENT TIME WITH ARCHIVISTS/HISTORANS AND THOMPSONS.IVE READ RECORDS/ WATCHED SLIDES-TILL I COULDNT KEEP MY EYES FOCUSED ANYMORE.I AM SENDING TO TOM AND MARY A HUGE WAD OF PHOTO COPIES AND OTHER BITS, INCLUDING PAGES TORN FROM THE PHONE BOOK. IM GOING TO MAKE SOME BOLD STATEMENTS THAT I FEEL I CAN QUALIFY.
APART FROM A WEE HANDFUL OF THOMPSONS THAT WENT NORTH TO SKIPNESS AS A SEPT- THERE ARE 20+ GRAVES THERE- THE THOMSONS/THOMPSONS/THOMS/THOMAS'S HAVE NO CONNECTION TO MACTAVISH
THOMSON  THOMPSON AND THOMSONE ETC ARE THE SAME FAMILY.
THE ROOT AND VERY CORE OF YOUR BEGINNINGS IS KELSO, IM SENDING RECORDS FROM 1600 BUT PREVIOUS TO THAT PEOPLE OF YOUR NAME LIVED THERE IN ABUNDANCE, MOSTLY BETWEEN KELSO AND DUNS. THE THOMSON AREA IS LOOSELY CALLED ROXBURGHE WHICH INCORPERATES A WIDER AREA. IT IS MY SUBMISSION THAT THE FAMILY SPREAD DOWN TO DUMFRIES AND INTO GALLOWAY AND UP TO THE LOTHIANS BUT THIS IS YOUR MECCA.....KELSO
MORE TO COME..............

Moira

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!    :-* :-* :-*  Now, for sure, we know where to concentrate our searches.

MACTAVISH

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 04:11:47 AM »
ARCHIVISTS IN SCOTLAND REFER TO ALL THIS CLANS NAMES COLLECTIVELY AS 'TOMS' AND I SUGGEST WE DO THE SAME.. EN ROTE TO MARY ARE LISTS OF MARRIAGES DEATHS BIRTHS AND BURIAL SITES OF THIS CLAN. THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF THEM. PEOPLE OF YOUR NAME INHABITED THE ROXBURGHE AREA BEFORE 1600 AND MANY ARE STILL THERE TODAY.PHOTOS OF GRAVES AND LOTS OF DATA ARE HEADING YOUR WAY FROM PROFESSIONAL ARCHIVISTS IN SCOTLAND. THERE CAN BE LITTLE DOUBT THAT PEOPLE OF YOUR NAMES ORIGINATE FROM ROXBURGHE AND HAVE NO ATTACHMENT TO CLAN MACTAVISH. ALL YOUVE DONE THROUGH THEIR DECEIT IS BECOME THEIR GRAVY TRAIN. SO, SCOTTISH 'TOMS' HAVE NO ATTACHMENT TO CLAN MACTAVISH (AND THERE ARE 1,000s OF THEM!). IF YOU KNOW OF PEOPLE STILL UNDER THAT MISGUIDANCE OR INDEED,IF YOURE READING THIS.....ITS VERY SIMPLE, IF THEY CAN SHOW YOURE A SEPT OR NAME CHANGE OF THEIRS, TELL THEM TO DO IT. WHERE ARE THE RECORDS/PARISH ACCOUNTS/ GRAVES/ FACTS?
THIS SITE AND TRUE TOM CLAN CAN SHOW YOU ANCESTRAL GRAVES AND RECORDS BACK TO PRE 1600 NONE OF WHICH HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH DUNARDRY. IF THEY INSIST THAT NAMES WERE CHANGED TO AVOID PERSECUTION AFTER CULLODEN; ASK THEM TO SHOW YOU RECORDS OF DUNARDRY PEOPLE AT CULLODEN- THERE WERE NONE, LASTLY ASK THEM TO SHOW YOU PHOTOS OF GRAVES WITH THOMSON ON IN KNAPDALE. THEY CANT. THE CLAIM WAS MADE TO FINANCE THEIR FANTASY WORLD.  NO MACTAVISH WILL HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM. ASK THEM TO SHOW YOU HOW MANY MACTAVISH  THEY HAVE IN THEIR SOCIETY. ASK THEM HOW MANY TOMS FROM SCOTLAND- NONE, PEOPLE KNOW THE TRUTH HERE. LOOK AT THEIR AUDIT PUBLISHED ON TRUEMACTAVISH, WORRYING!
THIS TRUE CLAN SOCIETY WILL SHOW YOU FACTUAL DOCUMENT(NOT QUOTE SELECTIVE BOOKS THAT ALL CONTRADICT EACH OTHER.) AND PHOTOGRAPHS OF YOUR REAL HERITAGE. WHERE FROM? REAL ARCHIVISTS IN SCOTLAND!
LASTLY REDEEM YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS THOSE PARASITES WILL BLEED YOU DRY. STILL NOT SURE;
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 08:25:57 AM by Forum_mgr »

Barbara

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »
MacTavish what a Godsend you are!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Are we not fortunate family and friends to have The Real MacTavish as a friend and honorary Thom(p)son?  You bet we are!!!   
<<hugs>> MacT.  :-*

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Barbara

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 02:45:42 PM »
Question MacTavish, I've traced my 9th grt. grandfather George Thomason to Sudlow, England, born 1576, is Sudlow any where near the Borders?

By the way, his son named George Thomason too is very famous, Google his name to read about him.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Booner

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 07:46:11 PM »
MACTAVISH,

Thanks for taking your time to do the research.  There is no calculation what you've saved us.

But, other than spending your time doing research for us, what else did you do?  Is it pretty sure that you'll be moving there?

Regards
Booner