Author Topic: Grandfather Mountain Games Linville NC July 8 thru 11  (Read 19386 times)

John ThomsonHollingsworth

Grandfather Mountain Games Linville NC July 8 thru 11
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »
Finally getting our schedule in order Mary and I plan to attend the Grandfather Mountain Games in July this year.
Because of distance to fit travel time and family visit time we will only be at the games on Saturday July 10.
We will be leaving Sunday to get back home and have a day to rest before Mary has to be back at her office on Tuesday.
My schedule varies and usually I don't have a problem changing it.
We will be in Marshall (Madison County NC) most of the week, we have a granddaughter whose 4th birthday is on July 7th.
Kate has planned a birthday party for Kadence Mackenzie Gates on Friday July 9 at Lake Louise Park in Weaverville, She originally planned it for Saturday but switched it so we can go to games on Saturday.
Because of family we can't commit to running a booth but will do what we can, I hope Sissy can make it there.
This is the 4th year we planned to go to Grandfather Mountain games and looks like we ae actuall make it there.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Re: Grandfather Mountain Games Linville NC July 8 thru 11
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »
John,
I'll keep an eye out for you at the games. My husband Robert and I will be there. We may be camping or just do day trips, haven't decided yet. I don't think there will be a Thompson Tent.

Look forward to seeing you there!
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
Nope. I think Grandfather is one of the games where you have to be recognized by Lyon Court before you can have a tent. I could be wrong too! A few years ago, they had a waiting list for clan tents....no new ones unless a past clan wasn't going to come. I haven't been to Grandfather, but I've heard some complaints about getting up and down the mountain and not enough camping/motels.  Let us know how it goes and take some pictures!

Have a good time all!

Mary

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:43:55 PM »
I sure will take pictures. When I checked getting a place to stay was difficult.

We will be in Weaverville Friday for the birthday party.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:55:03 AM by John ThomsonHollingsworth »

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:13:14 AM »
John,

I'll try to catch up with you Friday, I'll be in Weaverville as well. With permission I'll give you a call then and perhaps swing by the park for a brief visit.

Robert and I are going to ride up to GF Mtn on the motorcycles to see the Calling of the Clans which is Thursday evening, I believe. Then Saturday will be the long day at the games for us as well..........and you are right about the cell service in Madison County.....though it is marginally better in Weaverville.

Cheers!
Sherry
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:46:23 AM by Sis Thompson's oldest »
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
John and Sherry, I know we're all supposed to family here but we do get a lot of lurkers as well. You might want to be a bit more careful posting your personal info. We do have the capability to send personal messages through the MY MESSAGES tab or at least use the members only area here if there is personal data you need to exchange.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

jeremy.thompson

• Harrisonburg, Va livin' Scotland dreaming.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »
I'm thinking of driving down for Saturday as well.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:56:50 AM »
I've heard such mixed reviews of Grandfather...... it sounds like a logistical nightmare from some descriptions, and "no problem" from others. Some think the games are perfect, some think they are too large. A conundrum!  :-\

Whoever makes it to the games, PLEASE ask about the possibility of our society attending. If they require that you be a recognized clan, we're out of luck (for now). But, if we would be accepted, we could definitely look at it for next year. Also, take some pics and tell us what YOU think!

Most of all, have a good time!  ;D

Jeremy - good to see you posting....keep it up!

jeremy.thompson

• Harrisonburg, Va livin' Scotland dreaming.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
If I get a camera I'll take lots of pictures!! I'll post more when I feel I have more to contribute. : )

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 02:28:17 AM »
Mary - Logistical nightmare unless you can spend the week camping in the meadow. Once there can't leave until games are over. Clan would need two tents see my post on Facebook with pictures.
It was too hot with no shade, unless Clan had the tents or you were a Patrom, sponsor and paid a lot of money you were way too far from events to really enjoy them.
Like I said on Facebook been there, done that got pin, T-shirt and checked off my list.
Felt bad that we could not get to meet Sherry, but the logistics of the games would have been a strain on her. Her Doctor was correct in advising her not to go. I did get to talk to Sherry during the week while at our daughters.
John and Mary

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »
Here are the pics John and Mary sent from their trip to the Grandfather games.......

THANKS guys!  Since I've never been, it's nice to see it.........not sure I want to go tho.......

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 08:51:04 AM »
Hey hey!
I'm back.........back to work ...........back to posting.............back to being healthy.

John,
Great pictures! Looks like a good time was had by all and you had a beautiful day for it.
 I sat around all day Saturday of the games pouting 'cause I couldn't be there. I gave it my best shot with the Dr. but she was not budging! She had been to the games before and made it clear that I would not be walking those trails. ............................next year. 

Mary & Tom,
I'll be checking out the "one day" games in Hendersonville this November. It's just an hour away and on a Saturday. I'll ask about the requirements for a tent etc. and let all ya'll know.  I'm working on the hubby to go with me but it doesn't interest him as it does me. However water dripping on a rock long enough eventually has it's way, no? I'll wear him down.

Welcome to all the new Clan members, we're glad to have you!

That's all for now,
Sherry

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »
Hi Sherry!

Good to see you back alive and kickin'! Glad all's well.....re: Grandfather, John said it was nice to see once, but he's not really inclined to go back....that's what we hear from a hot of people.

Hendersonville - we've already paid for a tent space and Babs/Fred will be bringing our 10 ft tent and setting up for the games. We are hoping to make it, but in case, we sent them the tent. It would be great to see you again (and meet your husband???) ....we had such a good time in NC.  You keep working on him! Just make sure the drip, drip, drip doesn't turn into waterboarding!   ;D

Hopefully, see you in November!

Mary (and Tom)

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
We have placed the dates for the 2011 Games in Winter Springs FL on our calendar

We live in SW Florida so we have to travel the length of Florida and Georgia to get to most games not in Florida so that's 10 to 14 hours minimum driving time one way.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 07:06:45 AM »
Great pics John! Looks like it's a huge event and spread all over the mountain. Not sure I could handle that terrain. Someday maybe.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu