Author Topic: New member  (Read 10971 times)

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« on: July 18, 2010, 06:27:36 AM »
Hello, my name is Barb Dusevoir.  My grandfather was Maurice (Morris) Thompson.  He deserted the navy and changed his name to Richard Hill.  My mother told me about this 17 years ago.  So, I've been searching for my Thompson family for 17 years with just a little bit of information.  Thanks to the internet, they found me about 6 years ago.  It was very exciting for all of us.  Thanks to Cathy McTavish, I was connected with another cousin and many more Thompsons.  This is going to be an exciting year.
Old Genealogists never die - they just lose their census.

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »
Welcome Barb

Thank you for giving some credit to our warrior princes. She has been instrumental in helping many of us find those elusive links to our ancestors.
I hope to read more of your search for you family in future posts.
Tom

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:26:10 AM »
Hello and welcome, Barb!

Wow - what a story. Thank goodness your mom did tell you the Hill wasn't your father's real name! Which makes me wonder why he chose the name he did - do  you know???

Our Cathy is a wonder, isn't she? She wears two hats --- she's our Warrior Princess (she is great at the Calling of the Clans and a staunch defender of us Thom(p)sons) and our Genealogy Princess. With a job on top to take care of, she is amazing.

I'm glad you've joined the forum....now we'll have to get you to join the Society!  :)

Keep posting and we love to get into discussions of important or inane subjects................ :o  Oh, and jokes and poetry, huh Stu?

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:53:06 AM »
Thanks! 

My mom was very secretive.  When she told me about her father, I told her that she was really a Thompson and not a Hill.  She said "no, I'm a Hill".  I said "mom, what am I going to find if I research Hill"?  She said "oh".  I said "so, you are really a Thompson".  She said "no, I'm a Hill".  I said "OK, you are legally a Hill, illegally".  She said "oh".  She passed away 10 years ago.  I often ask her to help me with my searches and I think she is. 

I'm not sure why my grandfather changed his name to Richard Roy Hill.  My only guess is he had a nephew named Richard.  Roy, I have no idea.  I've noticed the name Hill during my searches for Thompson's in the area when he lived.  I wonder if it's a name of a family friend or cousin.

I joined the society yesterday.  Just waiting to hear back from them.    ;)

Barb   :)

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:56:04 AM »
Hi Barb! And welcome to the madhouse! I can understand your Mom's reaction when you live with a name for so many years. My name is Thompson because my father was born out of wedlock and was given his mother's family name. This past spring I found out my Dad's father was a Davis but since Dad and I have been Thompsons all our lives I'll stay a Thompson and not become a Davis. Anyway, best of luck with your research and feel free to chime in on any and all subjects as often as you can. Once again, welcome to the family cousin!
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:17:58 AM »
Barb!

Welcome to Clan Thom(p)son!
Continued good luck with your search for family.................you just found a bunch of us!

Cheers!
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:36:32 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I'm very excited to a member of the group, madhouse and all!

GeorgeT

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
Hello and WELCOME !!!

I am Steve Thompson and I now live in The Charleston SC area.
Being originally from W Va (Wood CO), I am descended from the Thompson clan of Virginia.
Most of the clan ended up in Wythe (BLand) Co, VA.

Should you desire any help, please let me know.

Agan, WELCOME...

-Steve-

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »
Wellcome Barb from your Aussie family.
If you happen to trace any of your mob moving down under don't hesitate to ask for assistance and that goes for all our family. It's not too far fetched after all Quigley moved here.

Wellcome
Ern & Cheryl

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:59:06 AM »
Thanks!  I'm excited to be a member.  My Thompson family lived in Jeffersonville, Indiana and Paducah, Kentucky.  They also lived in Rankin, Illinois, where my grandfather was born.  My newly found uncle (?) John Thompson contacted me a few months ago after he had his DNA done.  He is also a member of this forum.    :)