Author Topic: Pop-up tent question/recommendation  (Read 7776 times)

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
Pop-up tent question/recommendation
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
I am looking for a recommendation from other Commissioners or those who have done a setup at highland games.  This past weekend my 10x10 Pop-up tent gave up the ghost.  Several of the canopy supports broke due to wind damage at the Frederick MD Games this spring and became unusable after this weekend's McLain Festival.  The brand was a “First-Up” that I purchased at Wal-Mart last year, and had previously looked a “Quest”, but the construction looked a bit shoddy.  From talking with other Clans – seem like EZ-UP or Caravan are built better and can resist the strong wind better.  As a good Scot, I want to be frugal, but not CHEAP.  Any recommendation would be appreciated.  Thanks

Jim Reed
PA Commissioner

Stirling Thompson

Re: Pop-up tent question/recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
Jim,
I'm using an EZ-UP II and have had no problems so far but then again its never been tested under really bad conditions. I bought mine locally at Ocean State Job Lot fairly cheap but I had to order the sides on-line from L. L. Bean. Good Luck!
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Re: Pop-up tent question/recommendation
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:54:45 PM »
From all I've been told, the EZ-UP is the best brand. Expect to pay $130 or so, unless you can find it on sale. I've seen them around $100. Get the full 10X10 size, not the one with the slanted legs that only has an 8X8 canopy.

Nothing will withstand every storm, but these seem to be the most sturdy for the price. The commercial tent people have much stronger ones, but I imagine those cost a whole lot more. The EZ-UP is fairly easy to put up and take down in a short amount of time. One person can do it, though it's easier with two or more. Canopy is built onto the frame, so you don't have the extra step of attaching it.

When we were at the Highlands Ranch games in Colorado, Booner found another clan that had rented a big commercial tent, but didn't use all of it, so we had a 10X10 space in their tent and didn't have to put it up or take it down or haul it around. There's something to be said for that at least.
The Reivers Ride Again!