Author Topic: Yes, yes, I have been remiss in posting..........but "I'm baaaack......"  (Read 14729 times)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Greetings all you Thoms!

It has been an interesting month for me.

I am now among the 9.7% of unemployed people in North Carolina. That's right I was downsized!

The good part of this you may ask? Go on you know you want to.......

More time to research my branch of the Thom(p)sons.

As luck would have it, I have connected with a 2nd cousin in Richmond, Indiana through Ancestry.com who has done a remarkable job in her research. We met face to face for the first time at the "69th" R.W. Thompson Family Reunion in Lynn, IN. last Monday.  She had seven, yes count them SEVEN, three inch, three ring binders filled to the bursting with birth certs., marriage lic., service records, roll calls, pay stubs, land purchases, divorce decrees, stories from family members and pictures galore! And thousands of other items from 1777 to present day.

My hubby Robert and I drove up there for a long weekend (since I am at the moment a lady of leisure, but I'm not bitter). We visited the cemetery where R.W. Thompson and his wife Nancy Bowen Thompson are buried. After wandering around in a so far fruitless search, I was almost ready to call it quits. It was a small cemetery less than an acre and a chilly 45 degrees with a stiff breeze. I stood there in the middle of all those stones for a moment then something made me turn around. There he was right at my feet! I had goose bumps and not just from the wind.

The stone was in remarkable condition, still readable and a few rows down was his wife Nancy. So, I took pictures of course and stone rubbings.

I was delighted!

We left the cemetery and went to the hall for the reunion where I spent a great time talking with people who look remarkably like me. Robert and I also poured over the binders my cousin had prepared and found that the spelling of Thompson had at one time been Thomson. Perhaps this will open another door in my search for Robert W. Thompson.

Anyway, a great time was had by all and plans made to meet again next year.

On to other news.........

Mary, I'll see you & Tom at the Hendersonville Games in November. Robert is looking forward to meeting you both and we'll scope out a place to have dinner Sat night. You said you're staying in Hendersonville right?

Any other Thoms out there who will be making the trip? Come on... it will be great fun!

I remain your Thom(p)son cousin,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Yes, yes, I have been remiss in posting..........but "I'm baaaack......"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »
I am now among the 9.7% of unemployed people in North Carolina. That's right I was downsized!
  As I learned years ago when Tom retired from the AF...."poverty too can be fun!"   ;)

How marvelous that you found that cousin in Indiana! Wow....what we wouldn't give to have something like THAT happen to us! Seven binders of info....wow.
And to find R.W.'s stone and that of his wife - in readable condition. When we found Tom's ggrandfather's stone in PA about 10 years ago it was readable. But we lost the pics in a computer crash. We went again to PA last year to get new pics and part of the stone was now missing and some of the text on the remaining slab was illegible. So.....PRINT COPIES!!! 

I honestly think it wouldn't be at all surprising that MANY ThomPsons actually were originally Thomson. Many who went to Ireland would have ended up with the "p" because that's the Irish version of the name.....same with UK or America. But now you know FOR SURE just how Scottish you are!

I am soooooooooooooooo jealous!   :D

Yes - we are staying in Hendersonville. Had to find a place we could take the dogs - I guess it's about 20 minutes away, but workable. Fred and Babs will be there too....I don't think Harold and Patsy are planning on this one though. Getting together Saturday night somewhere sounds like a super plan --- let me know if you find some possible places and we'll 'make it so.'

Good to hear from you .......and, of course, now that you are a 'lady of leisure', we will expect MUCH MORE of a presence online...... :)  I am just recovering from surgery on the 5th and have only been online part time for the past 2 days. I'm finally staying awake long enough! So I need help here!

See you soon!

Mary (and Tom)

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »
I am back too!
Cathy

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
Greetings to All,

Well, so much for the "Lady of Leisure" status.......... I am once again "gainfully employed" as Robert likes to say. The downside for him is, now he has to go back to doing the dishes and the laundry. HAH! I say.

Yep, I applied the week of the 1st to a property management company and got the call to start on the 12th. Good news for the bank account....bad news for the "slacker" I was becoming. Well 3 weeks off wasn't bad....that'll be my vacation this year.

Other news on the family research:

During my visit to Indiana, my cousin gave me contact info for a local researcher. Apparently she is the go to person for that area. I've called and introduced myself and we had a nice chat. She is going to sift through what she has on our branch of the Thompsons and get back to me.  With the new spelling of Thomson and some of the info I snagged at the reunion I'm feeling better about breaking through the brick wall that is R.W. Thompson! Keep your fingers crossed!

Mary, hope you are feeling better. I'll do some research on dining establishments the next few days. I'm not as familiar with Hendersonville as I am with Asheville. But no worries, Hendersonville is a great little town. As the date draws closer I'll let you know when to expect us at the tent. YES, US!  I may have enticed Robert to join us for the day. He was so fascinated by the research at the reunion that I think he might have got a wee bit of the geneaology bug. HAH! again I say.

Thanks for the tip, I am printing a copy of R.W.'s stone right after I log off.

And so til next time,  I remain your Thom(p)son cousin,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
I am back too!
Cathy

Welcome back our very own "Warrior Princess!"  :D  I've missed you!

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 03:15:39 PM »
Me too! And sorry you have to go back to work, Sherry......you should have MY luck - I tried for over 4 years to find a job. Maybe it's the grey hair??? Or the wrinkles???

Gosh....but don't we have the greatest bunch of gals??? (and no, I'm NOT partial nor am I prejudiced!)   ::)

Sis Thom(p)son's youngest

• Buy the Ticket....Take the Ride!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
It's me.....sis's youngest! I would like to know when there is an activity out in the Phoenix, Arizona way. I would love to go. Yes, I am Sherry's little sister, always have been, always will be (not that I want to rub it in or anything!) Pleeeeeease let me know, I think I remember that there was some games going on sometime in Feb. in Phoenix, would love to meet some people, sounds like there is some fun to be had!

Till next time!
Sue (did I mention I'm younger than Sherry? ;))
Sis Thom(p)son's Youngest

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
Sue,
From my World Calender Phoenix Highland Games takes place Feb 26-27.
You will find more info at www.arizonascots.com
Regards from Down-under

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »
Ernest (love the name)

Fabulous!! ;D Thanks for the info! I will be sure to make it. I am kinda new to all this, however my sister will surely give me some tips, she has been researching the family for at least a year!
Can't wait (who doesn't love a man in a kilt ;))

Cheers! :D

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
Hello Sue
  Now we know that you are the youngest, but you didn't say anything about - smartest, shapeliest. pretties, richest etc.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »
I'm not even going to get INTO the sister-status stuff.......that spells nothing but TROUBLE!

I have updated the US calendar with all the games currently listed on the Scottish Banner. Also put up the Australian calendar ..... now I just have to find the time to update the Canadian one!

Hope you get to the Phoenix games, Sue!

Mary

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
Lets just say......Sherry has a really good personality! ;D (HA)

just kidding Sherry, be nice or I'll tell Mom!

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »
 ::) Och Aye, watch out she has no inside voice. ;)